The Future of Gay Marriage in America

Modbert

Daydream Believer
Sep 2, 2008
Spoiler: Be afraid homophobes, be very afraid. :lol:

Ryan Sager - Neuroworld – The Gay Gap - True/Slant

As contentious as the debate over gay marriage can get sometimes, I’ve always taken comfort in one simple fact: This is a generational battle, and that means the younger generation wins… eventually.

We all know there’s a gap between how old folks feel about same-sex marriage and how young folks feel. What you might not quite grasp is just how tremendous that gap is. A new paper (”Gay Rights in the States: Public Opinion and Policy Responsiveness” [PDF]) by Jefferey Lax and Justin Phillips puts it in a bit of perspective.

Just how big is the gay marriage age gap? Between the under-30 crowd and the over-65 crowd: 35 percentage points.

Or, try this on for size, at the state level: If people over 65 in each state made the laws, 0 states would have gay marriage; if people under 30 made the laws, 38 states would have gay marriage.

Discuss.

You know........with all this hoopla about gay marriage, defining marriage and alla that?

Guess what...........the institution of marriage itself may be in jeopardy here in Texas.

In Trying to Prevent Gay Marriage, Texas May Have Accidently Abolished it for Everyone

Posted by Liz Langley, Liz Langley's Blog at 8:11 PM on November 18, 2009.

It's rare a story about banning gay marriage actually has a silver lining.
Post Tools
email EMAIL
print PRINT
16 COMMENTS

Share and save this post:

Share on Facebook

AlterNet Social Networks:
follow us on twitter
find us on Facebook

Got a tip for a post?:
Email us | Anonymous form

RSS iconSex and Relationships RSS Feed

RSS iconMain AlterNet RSS Feed
Get Sex and Relationships in your
mailbox!

When I was a kid in Catholic school, probably around 6th grade, I remember reading a short story about a little girl who studied the violin. The details are hazy but someone, I think her teacher, told her that another student was getting the gift of a new violin and that there were two to choose from but he didn't know which to pick. He asked the student to help him out by trying both and telling him which one was better.

After playing both the girl knew that the first violin was far and away the superior intstrument, but knowing she would soon be in a competition with the other student she said the second, lower-quality violin was better and that that one should be the gift.

The gift turned out to be for her. She ended up getting the bum deal she was trying to give someone else.

The nuns didn't use the word "karma" but that's what the story was about. Do unto others. Etcetera. You seldom see morality plays as swiftly and compactly played out in real life but when you do it's delicious.

And there may such an instance in store for Texas where, in trying to deprive some people of marriage ... the state may have abolished it for everyone.

A Texas lawyer and candidate for attorney general, Barbara Ann Radnofsky, has found a little screw-up in the legal wording of some 2005 anti-equality legislation that passed overwhelmingly in the state. Here's the skinny from the Fort Worth Star-Telegram:

The amendment, approved by the Texas Legislature and overwhelmingly ratified by Texas voters, declares that "marriage in this state shall consist only of the union of one man and one woman." But the trouble-making phrase, as Radnofsky sees it, is Subsection B, which declares: "This state or a political subdivision of this state may not create or recognize any legal status identical or similar to marriage."

In Trying to Prevent Gay Marriage, Texas May Have Accidently Abolished it for Everyone | Sex and Relationships | AlterNet

As contentious as the debate over gay marriage can get sometimes, I’ve always taken comfort in one simple fact: This is a generational battle, and that means the younger generation wins… eventually.

We all know there’s a gap between how old folks feel about same-sex marriage and how young folks feel. What you might not quite grasp is just how tremendous that gap is. A new paper (”Gay Rights in the States: Public Opinion and Policy Responsiveness” [PDF]) by Jefferey Lax and Justin Phillips puts it in a bit of perspective.

Just how big is the gay marriage age gap? Between the under-30 crowd and the over-65 crowd: 35 percentage points.

Or, try this on for size, at the state level: If people over 65 in each state made the laws, 0 states would have gay marriage; if people under 30 made the laws, 38 states would have gay marriage.

Discuss.

We've known that all along. It's just a question of time.

Discuss.

We've known that all along. It's just a question of time.

in the 1970's that's what was said about legalizing marijuana.

If we make gay marriage legal the democratic party will disappear in 2 generations.....

You know.......Yeshua (Jesus) was asked one time what the greatest Commandment was of all..........

He told them "love God above all else, and love one another like you love God".

Gender was not specified. Matter of fact, the only thing that God really said not to do was to have anal sex (perform sodomy), and that is supposed to go for BOTH men and women.

King David himself had a legally sanction, same sex union, recognized by the Israelites, God's Chosen People.

And.......exactly how is gay marriage going to dissolve the Democratic party again?

Your screen name is appropriate......you ARE a slack jawed idiot.

The flaw in this logic is the assumption that the under 30's won't change their minds as they grow older.

Maybe they will, maybe they won't, but I wouldn't assume anything.

If we make gay marriage legal the democratic party will disappear in 2 generations.....

You know.......Yeshua (Jesus) was asked one time what the greatest Commandment was of all..........

He told them "love God above all else, and love one another like you love God".

Gender was not specified. Matter of fact, the only thing that God really said not to do was to have anal sex (perform sodomy), and that is supposed to go for BOTH men and women.

King David himself had a legally sanction, same sex union, recognized by the Israelites, God's Chosen People.

And.......exactly how is gay marriage going to dissolve the Democratic party again?

Your screen name is appropriate......you ARE a slack jawed idiot.

takes one to know one asswipe

The flaw in this logic is the assumption that the under 30's won't change their minds as they grow older.

Positions on these sorts of issues tend to be stable over time.

Hey ABS,

Don't be such small minded idiot all the time would ya? Or is that asking too much? :razz:

His point, as I understand it, is that the democrats get a lot of votes due to this issue. Think about it, how many queers do you think vote republican vs how many vote democrat? If the issue goes away, dems lose a lot of locked in voters. Same with abortion, if roe v wade ever got overturned, the republicans would lose a lot of locked in, single issue voters too.

Where exactly n the Bible/Torah does it say King David was in a legal same sex union recognized by the Rabbis ? :doubt:

Here ya go.........by the way people, Sucking Idiot has Alzheimer's (I think).

He's had this question answered by me several times.........

David and Jonathan

There is an extensive and very sympathetic description of a same-sex relationship in the Bible, the story of David and Jonathan, e.g.: 1 Samuel 18:1-5, 1 Samuel 19:1-7, 1 Samuel 20:30-42, 2 Samuel 1:25-6. While their bond is described as non-sexual, it is difficult to characterize it as purely one of friendship.

Jonathan was the son of Saul, David's nemesis. Their souls are described as 'knit together'. David and Jonathan 'made a covenant, because he loved him as his own soul.' The word convenant is significant, because in the Tanach this word always implies a formal legal agreement. To mark this convenant, Jonathan literally gives David the clothes off of his back, as well as other gifts such as weapons.

Later in the narrative, Jonathan successfully intercedes with Saul to spare David's life. At their last meeing, 1 Samuel 20:41, they are described as kissing one another and weeping together. David's grief at Jonathan's death is profound and moving. In Davids lament for Jonathan he describes their friendship as '(sur)passing the love of women'. This elegy, 2 Samuel 1:18-27. known as 'the Bow,' is one of the most beloved passages in the Hebrew Bible.

This narrative far outweighs the two trivial aspersions against same-sex love in Leviticus. The bigots who use the Bible to assault gays are apparently blind to it.

LGBT Texts

What makes you believe that?

Exact same thing happened with interracial marriage. You had an older cohort that was very opposed, while younger people didn't really care. Over time, it's became broadly accepted as younger people grew older and their kids cared even less about it.

ABS all it says is that they were close friends. Closer than brothers.

They had fought in wars together. Men in war forge bonds tighter than blood.. Something you wouldn't know about.

In the ME men kiss each other on the the cheek as a greeting and sign of friendship.

There is nothing homo about this type of greeting. It's just a cultural thing.

There is just nothing faggot about their friendship. Except to a homo lover like you.

Last edited:

What makes you believe that?

Exact same thing happened with interracial marriage. You had an older cohort that was very opposed, while younger people didn't really care. Over time, it's became broadly accepted as younger people grew older and their kids cared even less about it.

Maybe.

But I've never accepted the validity of comparing the gay "rights" movement to the civil rights movement. To me it's apples and oranges.

ABS all it says is that they were close friends. Closer than brothers.

They had fought in wars together. Men in war forge bonds tighter than blood.. Something you wouldn't know about.

In the ME men kiss each other on the the cheek as a greeting and sign of friendship.

There is nothing homo about this type of greeting. It's just a cultural thing.

There is just nothing faggot about their friendship. Except to a homo lover like you.

Fought in wars together.........hmm.........something I know nothing about eh?

Ever hear of Beruit in '83? I was there when the Marines got hit.

How's about Desert Storm? The Ike had to chase away 2 gunships coming through the Straits of Hormuz

Ever actually BEEN to the ME? I have..........Jiddah, Dubai, just to name a few........and yes, men hold hands, kiss on the cheek and all sorts of other things.

Know what they say about women? Women are for families, boys are for fun.

Yeah.....tell me again how much you know ya fucking 'tard.

Forum List

Back