The future of capitalism

Capitalism is an absolutely imperfect, unpredictable, inconsistent, and sorry way to run any economy. But it is far better than ANYTHING else out there. I think it is our best shot to avoid the worst of turbulent times as we adapt to new ways to work, live, and engage in recreation and other pursuits.

Nope. Capitalism turned this wild country into the envy of every country on the planet. That is, until Barry arrived. If we allow business to work again - we will jump right back on top. But not until we rid ourselves of those like Obama.

Isn't that what I said? Well except for the Obama part? :) But you're right. Unless we shed ourselves of progressive oppression and authoritarianism and allow Americans to do what Americans do best, again, we will continue to stagnate and regress.

Nope. We will cease to exist.

It is possible, but I'm not ready to say that. If we do not keep fighting against it, I just think we will go the way of so many other nations that succumbed to radical leftism and became miserable places as a result of it.

Well, I'm looking 20-30 years down the road (if we make it that far). I have said this for the longest time - this is NOT the country I grew up in. My God, I remember, as a High School kid, that only a few kids made it to College. Why? College was a BITCH to get into in those days. On a brighter note, however, 99% of the kids I graduated with had good paying jobs when they graduated.

Now? Kids graduate and have no clue what's next. There are no jobs to go to so everyone flocks to College - and takes up space for 4-5 years then return home to their Mom's basement. THAT is the present and the future.

All the while, companies that USED to provide good paying jobs for young Americans are gone - overseas for slave wage pay. They WILL NOT return until we have a president who penalizes the living shit out of them. Radical? You bet. But the days of corporations profiting off of slave wages overseas, and returning their products to the US for sale, needs to stop and it needs to stop YESTERDAY.

Will it happen? Very doubtful. These corporations merely pay off both sides to "turn away" and pay them no mind and while our "leaders" do that - THEY get rich while the corporations get FILTHY rich. We simply can NOT go on this way. It will eventually mean the death of this country.

Once, we were a nation of builders - now? A Nation of consumers, and 30 hours a week at minimum wage is the norm.
Those jobs are not returning, period.

Even ridding ourselves of the free trade mantra and many regulations, automation ensures that those 'jobs' would return to machines and not Americans. The reality is that it is not worth it to pay Americans the high wages we expect to put a pair of sneakers or a circuit board together. We will pay laborers a buck a day or a machines cents a day to do it. It would be better for us to have them produced here either way but production through labor is not coming back. The world is not the same as when those jobs left.

Isn't that what I said? Well except for the Obama part? :) But you're right. Unless we shed ourselves of progressive oppression and authoritarianism and allow Americans to do what Americans do best, again, we will continue to stagnate and regress.

It is possible, but I'm not ready to say that. If we do not keep fighting against it, I just think we will go the way of so many other nations that succumbed to radical leftism and became miserable places as a result of it.

Well, I'm looking 20-30 years down the road (if we make it that far). I have said this for the longest time - this is NOT the country I grew up in. My God, I remember, as a High School kid, that only a few kids made it to College. Why? College was a BITCH to get into in those days. On a brighter note, however, 99% of the kids I graduated with had good paying jobs when they graduated.

Now? Kids graduate and have no clue what's next. There are no jobs to go to so everyone flocks to College - and takes up space for 4-5 years then return home to their Mom's basement. THAT is the present and the future.

All the while, companies that USED to provide good paying jobs for young Americans are gone - overseas for slave wage pay. They WILL NOT return until we have a president who penalizes the living shit out of them. Radical? You bet. But the days of corporations profiting off of slave wages overseas, and returning their products to the US for sale, needs to stop and it needs to stop YESTERDAY.

Will it happen? Very doubtful. These corporations merely pay off both sides to "turn away" and pay them no mind and while our "leaders" do that - THEY get rich while the corporations get FILTHY rich. We simply can NOT go on this way. It will eventually mean the death of this country.

Once, we were a nation of builders - now? A Nation of consumers, and 30 hours a week at minimum wage is the norm.

While I am pretty darn sure that fewer than 6 or 7% of workers are earning minimum wage, shorter hours and reduced incomes is the result of the current administration's policies. And it is true that more people go to college, but it is also true, IMO, that fewer educated people with an understanding of what makes the world work effectively for the most people are being graduated.

But that is hardly the fault of technology or lack of possibilities and opportunity. If we would unencumber ourselves from the radical destructive progressive policies that have created the current economy, I have every confidence that the human spirit will go right back to solving problems and figuring out new ways to do things and make a living.

I recently read a study about higher education and the changes it has gone through over the last 30 years. Today, newly graduated University students are being employed at a rate of 17%. This is down from 45% 15 years ago and 67% 30 years ago. Additionally, the percentage of "underemployed" graduates has risen 71% during that time period. Profits at Universities have risen 500% over the same time period. I will look up the study and post it - as soon as I can.

My Wife has a MSN (Nursing) and has worked in the field for 35 years. Right now, new graduates are having one hell of a time finding work as Nurse Practitioners and are working as RNs. Underemployed.

My Cousin's kids (graduated with degrees in Engineering) are making great money, on the other hand. Bottom line? Choose your major carefully.

The problem lies with those who probably should never be in College in the first place. Those who can't find apprentice programs (Electrician, Carpenter, Truck Driver, etc) are in deep trouble. Those guys USED to work in manufacturing - and making good money. They built automobiles, Washers, dryers, etc. They made good living wages. What do they do now? Mexico benefits from those jobs. China benefits from those jobs. And those products are built for peanuts - returned to this country for sale and the massive profits go back to the companies. Companies that pay little to no taxes.

For this country to make ANY kind of a comeback - those jobs MUST come back to the United States (thanks Bill Clinton). Without the jobs - we are doomed. It is easy to say "Well, we have to become more "technology based"" Right. Where are all those computers we use right now built? China. Apple, Dell, Hewlett-Packard, et al. Thanks Bill Clinton.

The only people who benefited from NAFTA were politicians and corporations.
See above. You cannot look to the past for the jobs of the future.

Nope. Capitalism turned this wild country into the envy of every country on the planet. That is, until Barry arrived. If we allow business to work again - we will jump right back on top. But not until we rid ourselves of those like Obama.

Even ridding ourselves of the free trade mantra and many regulations, automation ensures that those 'jobs' would return to machines and not Americans. The reality is that it is not worth it to pay Americans the high wages we expect to put a pair of sneakers or a circuit board together. We will pay laborers a buck a day or a machines cents a day to do it. It would be better for us to have them produced here either way but production through labor is not coming back. The world is not the same as when those jobs left.

I disagree. You make it as profitable to do business here as it is in other places, and business will choose to do business here.

I disagree. You make it as profitable to do business here as it is in other places, and business will choose to do business here.

Yeah, but there is no way we can compete on several fronts. Pay rates and land prices. A worker in Vietnam gets 1.40 an hour. We could drop rates to that here....but who could afford to eat and work at that rate?

Seems a 'race to the bottom' tactic. Where whomever can lower their standard of living the fastest wins.

The one thing that I believe that we are all forgetting is 3 trillion dollars. That's the estimated amount of cash that business is holding off-shore in tax free accounts from their "profits" within the US. For the last 30 years - the lawmakers have made it more than "profitable" for companies to relocate their businesses off shore (think NAFTA).

Is there any reason that the laws can't be addressed to either make it more profitable (in the form of tax breaks) to return to the US or tax their "returns" to the US - to the point where they no longer make money faster than ex lax through a baby.

They pay pennies on the dollar for labor in these countries. They pay kickbacks to these governments to allow them to employ slave labor. Then - they ship these goods back here and charge 1,000 times what it cost the company to build them overseas. And you folks are telling me that we couldn't bring these companies BACK to the US and require them to pay a living wage!?!?! Haven't they made enough over the last 30 years?

In the event they want nothing of returning "home" - tax them out of existence. I know it's harsh - but SOMEONE has to look out for the people of THIS country as well. We haven't had a leader in the last 25 years willing to stand up for us - but rather everyone else in the world.

The one thing that I believe that we are all forgetting is 3 trillion dollars. That's the estimated amount of cash that business is holding off-shore in tax free accounts from their "profits" within the US. For the last 30 years - the lawmakers have made it more than "profitable" for companies to relocate their businesses off shore (think NAFTA).

Is there any reason that the laws can't be addressed to either make it more profitable (in the form of tax breaks) to return to the US or tax their "returns" to the US - to the point where they no longer make money faster than ex lax through a baby.

They pay pennies on the dollar for labor in these countries. They pay kickbacks to these governments to allow them to employ slave labor. Then - they ship these goods back here and charge 1,000 times what it cost the company to build them overseas. And you folks are telling me that we couldn't bring these companies BACK to the US and require them to pay a living wage!?!?! Haven't they made enough over the last 30 years?

In the event they want nothing of returning "home" - tax them out of existence. I know it's harsh - but SOMEONE has to look out for the people of THIS country as well. We haven't had a leader in the last 25 years willing to stand up for us - but rather everyone else in the world.

In his announcement speech this week, Ben Carson addressed that head on with the suggestion of a tax holiday and let everybody bring their money home. It isn't doing any of us any good whatsoever parked overseas and wouldn't cost anybody a single dime by letting everybody bring their money home and put it to work here tax free.

That would be capitalism at its finest. And would make for a much more secure future for many. But how many on the left or right would agree with that?

In his announcement speech this week, Ben Carson addressed that head on with the suggestion of a tax holiday and let everybody bring their money home. It isn't doing any of us any good whatsoever parked overseas and wouldn't cost anybody a single dime by letting everybody bring their money home and put it to work here tax free.

That would be capitalism at its finest. And would make for a much more secure future for many. But how many on the left or right would agree with that?

And by 'everybody', you mean the fantastically wealthy? As very few middle class Americans have Cayman Islands or Swiss Bank accounts.

I would absolutely agree with that as long as it came with the stipulation that business MUST reinvest in jobs for Americans. There are tens of millions of square footage of idle manufacturing plants in this country. Fire them back up and get this country working again. And this nonsense that companies CAN'T pay American workers a "decent" wage is bogus propaganda. These companies that have made out like bandits for the last 25-30 years can lower their profits by 3% and pay decent, living wages to their employees. The inherent problem? Unions. They would be like sharks in the water - and I understand that that is a principle reason for not bringing these companies back to America. Do something about these unions - and they WILL return.

And by 'everybody', you mean the fantastically wealthy? As very few middle class Americans have Cayman Islands or Swiss Bank accounts.

Yup. That's exactly what I mean. How would it harm you or anybody else to encourage those who have that 3+ trillion parked off shore to escape the 35% taxes on it to bring it home? Give them a tax holiday to do that? We need that money in the economy here. That would be one way to accomplish it.

And we have a Congress now that could be promoted to promote capitalism instead of trying to destroy it. All we need is a President with the same point of view and it could be a great thing.

Yup. That's exactly what I mean. How would it harm you or anybody else to encourage those who have that 3+ trillion parked off shore to escape the 35% taxes on it to bring it home? Give them a tax holiday to do that? We need that money in the economy here. That would be one way to accomplish it.

And we have a Congress now that could be promoted to promote capitalism instead of trying to destroy it. All we need is a President with the same point of view and it could be a great thing.

Indeed. And Bravo. Biggest problem? Politicians that receive huge money from these corporations for doing "nothing".

I would absolutely agree with that as long as it came with the stipulation that business MUST reinvest in jobs for Americans. They are tens of millions of square footage of idle manufacturing plants in this country. Fire them back up and get this country working again. And this nonsense that companies CAN'T pay American workers a "decent" wage is bogus propaganda. These companies that have made out like bandits for the last 25-30 years can lower their profits by 3% and pay decent, living wages to their employees. The inherent problem? Unions. They would be like sharks in the water - and I understand that that is a principle reason for not bringing these companies back to America. Do something about these unions - and they WILL return.

I'm pretty sure they won't do it though with that kind of stipulation. In most cases, you cannot have both capitalism and government dictates. You have one or the other.

BUT. . . if Congress would get off their butts and start rolling back the most onerous and unnecessary regulations, create a fair and unoppressive tax system, and turn business loose to do what Americans do best, you can be assured they would put that money to work.

So yet another massive tax cut for the fantastically wealthy.

Is there anything else to conservatives?

I would absolutely agree with that as long as it came with the stipulation that business MUST reinvest in jobs for Americans. They are tens of millions of square footage of idle manufacturing plants in this country. Fire them back up and get this country working again. And this nonsense that companies CAN'T pay American workers a "decent" wage is bogus propaganda. These companies that have made out like bandits for the last 25-30 years can lower their profits by 3% and pay decent, living wages to their employees. The inherent problem? Unions. They would be like sharks in the water - and I understand that that is a principle reason for not bringing these companies back to America. Do something about these unions - and they WILL return.

I'm pretty sure they won't do it though with that kind of stipulation. In most cases, you cannot have both capitalism and government dictates. You have one or the other.

BUT. . . if Congress would get off their butts and start rolling back the most onerous and unnecessary regulations, create a fair and unoppressive tax system, and turn business loose to do what Americans do best, you can be assured they would put that money to work.

Honestly, it wouldn't be a "dictate" - but rather an "agreement". You know like the one we made with business when NAFTA came into being. And you are correct about regulations. Since taking over, Obama has increased (by nearly 200,000) the amount of regulations on business in this country. Business is most definitely being strangled out of existence in America.

Just curious here.....When was the last time YOU received a tax cut from the government? You telling me that it wouldn't be worth it to get the economy rolling again? Pretty petty, if I do say so myself.....

Just curious here.....When was the last time YOU received a tax cut from the government? You telling me that it wouldn't be worth it to get the economy rolling again? Pretty petty, if I do say so myself.....

What relevance does that have with what we're discussing? I don't have a Cayman Ilsands bank account. So I'm not the one the GOP candidates are proposing get a massive 'tax holiday'.

The super wealthy are.

Honestly, it wouldn't be a "dictate" - but rather an "agreement". You know like the one we made with business when NAFTA came into being. And you are correct about regulations. Since taking over, Obama has increased (by nearly 200,000) the amount of regulations on business in this country. Business is most definitely being strangled out of existence in America.

I put '200,000 new regulations Obama' into a search engine and I find exactly dick. Is this another one of those 'phantom studies', like the one that said that new graduates have an 83% unemployment rate?

You know, one people keep 'quoting' but can never actually find?

Indeed. And Bravo. Biggest problem? Politicians that receive huge money from these corporations for doing "nothing".

You know all thoses thousands and thousands of regulations being piled on top of other regulations every single year? Congress doesn't pass most of those--most are imposed by faceless bureaucrats within an incomprehensible maze of government agencies and departments, many overlapping, many contradicting each other, but all crushing American enterprise under the sheer weight of them.

You think Congress wants to stop that? Nope. it will require a massive uprising of people demanding it. Congress is made up of a permanent political class that serves and enriches itself, not us. And by threatening to pass or not pass this or that legislation, or enforce this or that regulation, they can keep the corporations funneling huge sums into their PACS and campaign coffers. And from those PACS they can funnel money to each other.

I really wanted a good discussion on that in my thread here:
BOOK REVIEW EXTORTION How Politicians Extract Your Money Buy Votes and Line The US Message Board - Political Discussion Forum
but it just wasn't able to develop any traction and get going. Which is a shame because I think it is something the public needs to be aware of and do something about.

But at least with the pro-business group in power now, they will likely do less damage to capitalism than would the anti-business group we have had in government for some time now.

I put '200,000 new regulations Obama' into a search engine and I find exactly dick. Is this another one of those 'phantom studies', like the one that said that new graduates have an 83% unemployment rate?

Here...Government report finds regulations have spiked under Obama TheHill

My 200,000 was a typo. 20,000 Gee, someone as (obviously) intelligent as you should have had no trouble whatsoever finding it....

Oh, and by the way, that;s the report from 2013. Here is the report from 2015

Obama Imposed 75 000 Pages of New Regulations in 2014

Just keeps growing, doesn't it?

Last edited:

Here you go Skylar. This is just through 2011. How many more pages do you imagine have been added since then? And how many businesses and corporation do you think has the time to keep up with all that?

Under Obama 11 327 Pages of Federal Regulations Added

Here you go Skylar. This is just through 2011. How many more pages do you imagine have been added since then? And how many businesses and corporation do you think has the time to keep up with all that?

Under Obama 11 327 Pages of Federal Regulations Added

Well sir, between you and I, I believe that we have already (Between 2011 and 2014) found some 90-95 thousand new regulations. Hmmmm.....Interesting.

Forum List

Back