CDZ The Future of America?

jwoodie

Platinum Member
Aug 15, 2012
I would like to see your view of America in 50 years, NOT IN POLITICAL TERMS but how people will be living and interacting. I will start:

I think there will be an even greater dichotomy between the educated "haves" and the uneducated "have-nots." Social animosity will increase and it will become increasingly dangerous to venture out of "safe" areas. As a result, there will be an increase of gated and guarded communities with their own police departments. Those who can't afford to live in these communities will live in increasingly segregated neighborhoods and will have to rely on themselves for protection and self defense. Social anarchy will become the norm.

What is your view?

I'd say you're about 30 years too late. At least in terms of California where so much of what you describe has long existed. What people forget, however, is that when you put more than about 10 people in an enclave you get a mini-cross section of humanity. Most crime within gated communities is committed by residents of those communities against other inmates.

You've also described most of urban Peru. In fact, you have Lima nailed down almost precisely.

I would like to see your view of America in 50 years, NOT IN POLITICAL TERMS but how people will be living and interacting. I will start:

I think there will be an even greater dichotomy between the educated "haves" and the uneducated "have-nots." Social animosity will increase and it will become increasingly dangerous to venture out of "safe" areas. As a result, there will be an increase of gated and guarded communities with their own police departments. Those who can't afford to live in these communities will live in increasingly segregated neighborhoods and will have to rely on themselves for protection and self defense. Social anarchy will become the norm.

What is your view?

if liberalism keep increasing inequality you are probably right.

I see a massive change for America.
As the economy collapses because of BRICS and oil supply problems, there will be terrible unemployment, leading to a massive poverty problem.
As will all major changes, there will be conflict as the more extreme groups wrestle for power, all claiming they can turn America round, restoring the one great nation.
The situation will settle, and as long as none of the extremist lot manage to gain power, the people will recover the country, sending it back on a normal course.
There is likely to be a massive rich/poor divide, there always is.
The biggest change is likely to be transport, and other high energy use activities.
I see electric vehicles, maybe powered by sewage gas or, as technology improves, solar, and all house lighting will be LED (or whatever super low consumption device is next). Cars will be small, perhaps even hover cars using ducted fan technology.

I see a massive change for America.
As the economy collapses because of BRICS and oil supply problems, there will be terrible unemployment, leading to a massive poverty problem.

what? we have more oil than ever and at very very low prices too. I have no idea how the BRICs countries could make us poor, do you??

I think Atlantic Monthly editor, Robert D Kaplan, beat the OP to the punch 20 years ago. I regard this one of the most important social commentaries of the 20th century. So does our State Department, the Pentagon, the War College, etc. Kaplan wrote another piece in about 1995 regarding the walled, armed (private paramilitary police department) suburban communities that'd serve as living hubs for the non-criminally insane, as opposed to all of America's urban jungles, where huge gangs and warlords would rule the battle-scarred landscape. Why the hell am I using future tense? Oh yea, these were written just 20 years ago. And if you think the portents he made that've already come to pass are bad, wait till you read what else is coming.

The Coming Anarchy - The Atlantic

the walled, armed (private paramilitary police department) suburban communities that'd serve as living hubs for the non-criminally insane,

is this the natural result of Obama's marxist class warfare?

Of course it is, but credit due can't only be dumped on Obama's shoulders. Marxists in this country began their long road to hell with social welfare programs of the 1950's, a cancer from which our polity will probably never recover..unless the next civil war is 50 times bloodier than the last one.

the walled, armed (private paramilitary police department) suburban communities that'd serve as living hubs for the non-criminally insane,

is this the natural result of Obama's marxist class warfare?

Of course it is, but credit due can't only be dumped on Obama's shoulders. Marxists in this country began their long road to hell with social welfare programs of the 1950's, a cancer from which our polity will probably never recover..unless the next civil war is 50 times bloodier than the last one.

well Republicans could control 3 branches of govt on 2 years.

what? we have more oil than ever and at very very low prices too. I have no idea how the BRICs countries could make us poor, do you??

Yes.
The Dollar is massively overvalued because of its use as a trading standard.
If that trading standard is lots because of BRICS, your national debt will do the rest.

why does that make it massively overvalued? It floats against all curriencies all the time so would slowly adjust downward if the BRIC countries had any power to slowly reduce the dollars value in any way.. THe main rule is that a country does not get rich or poor based on how many dollars are in circulation or what they are used for. A country gets rich or poor based on the goods and services it produces.

Do you understand?

Last edited:

why does that make it massively overvalued? It floats against all curriencies all the time so would slowly adjust downward if the BRIC countries had any power to slowly reduce the dollars use as a reserve currency.

Do you understand?

As I understand it, the BRIC countries now hold so much U.S. currency that they have no reason to devalue it. Besides, there is nothing to replace it as of yet. (Maybe the Russians are planning for gold based currency?)

At any rate, how do you think a massive devaluation would affect American society?

The elites, however, will not be built on race, but rather on technocracy and education. America's elites will be much darker and younger in fifty years than today.

They will try to impose state mandated euthanasia on individuals that fail to meet certain threshold. The far left and libertarian atheists will be in the vanguard of euthanasia redistribution of resources.

Traditional Christianity will dominate the social con Christians of the far right, and Muslims will have either submitted to supporting the war against Jihadism (yes, it will still be going on) or will have been repatriated to the homelands of their immigrant ancestors. The social con evangelicals and fundamentals will become separatists like the hard core Pentecostals and Church of Christ congregations.

The power of American oil will dominate the world's currency.

Eddie knows the BRIC countries certainly can influence our currency if our hold on the petro dollar weakens, so you can ignore Eddie's remark.

As I understand it, the BRIC countries now hold so much U.S. currency that they have no reason to devalue it.

Sorry, they have no power whatsoever to devalue our currency so it is not an issue!!.

Sorry, I was trying to make sense of your off-topic post.

Not really off topic.
America's future might very well be decided by foreign powers and foreign economic policy. A devalued Dollar would have a massive influence on domestic affairs in the USA.

As I understand it, the BRIC countries now hold so much U.S. currency that they have no reason to devalue it.

Sorry, they have no power whatsoever to devalue our currency so it is not an issue!!.

Sorry, I was trying to make sense of your off-topic post.

Not really off topic.
America's future might very well be decided by foreign powers and foreign economic policy. A devalued Dollar would have a massive influence on domestic affairs in the USA.

Thus my previous question, which was omitted and ignored:

"How do you think a massive devaluation would affect American society?"

Thus my previous question, which was omitted and ignored:

"How do you think a massive devaluation would affect American society?"

You would be unable to handle your debt, so be forced to cut back on everything, triggering an internal crisis as spending cuts took hold.

Forum List

Back