The Future Looks Bleak?

Lumpy 1

Diamond Member
Jun 19, 2009
What the Hell?

My wive and I have decided to do some church shopping and so on Sunday we go to a non-denomination church to see what the preacher has to say. He was pretty good but one of his major messages was,"I expect to see the Lord any day now and your bodies will change". In other words the rhapsody.

Today, I go to a coin dealer that I've never met before and he starts talking about how this country is going down the tubes just like the the super powers of the past Egypt, Greece, Romans, etc. Well, at least 12 other people gather around and everyone ends up talking about survival and the bleakness of the future.

I've just noticed that over the last year or so that people seem allot more worried, edgy and in general pretty pessimistic about the future. I've also noticed that all you have to say is hello and people are open to conversation and usually end up on hard luck stories of themselves and the people they know. I tell you my optimistic approach to life is taking a hit lately.

So.. whats your vision on the future?

There's so much fear, some of it for good reason but most of it baseless. People living in fear aren't going to be happy campers when they think about today, let alone tomorrow. I'm not really sure where it comes from (but I have some suspicions) but the world is going to keep turning and the sky really isn't falling.

Unfortunately scaring the bejeebus out of people sells. Doesn't matter whether it's music, TV, movies, "news", advertising, politics left or right, religion, you name it: the messages are everywhere. So I don't see it changing anytime soon.

Taking a poke at someones security blanket always seems to get a rise out of them.
My future ? Looks like I have to go to work today--again.

Most of my friends and family are fairly secure in their jobs and have managed to put away savings for a rainy day. People's major concern is their children. Nearly every parent I talk to with college age kids is very pessimistic about the job market. Grad school may become the status quo until the economy turns around. I'm hopeful after 2012.

I respect Goldcatt's opinion of fears being mostly baseless but I have definitely seena different side of things I believe. I know people that have worked hard their whole lives and rode out the 1.5 years of unemployment after being laid off unable to find work in even the amount they received in unemployment.

These same people, there are more than one family I know of personally, are now going to churches for food give aways and are losing their homes. I realize to some that things don't look horrible but there are many out there that would disagree. A friend and me were going down the road and a car was on the side with the whole front end tore up. my friend said, "See, that's fuckin stupid, you know the car had to be driving so messed up before that happened that he had to know it needed work done. Stupid!" So I told him, "Yeah, he's probably too broke to have it fixed. He could even be late for a job interview because of it".

I guess I just see things different than many because I have been in situations where there just seems to be no hope. So I don't go throwing judgements out until I know the story.

I just re read this, I guess I am in one of my dreary moods! LOL

Last edited:
What the Hell?

My wive and I have decided to do some church shopping and so on Sunday we go to a non-denomination church to see what the preacher has to say. He was pretty good but one of his major messages was,"I expect to see the Lord any day now and your bodies will change". In other words the rhapsody.

Today, I go to a coin dealer that I've never met before and he starts talking about how this country is going down the tubes just like the the super powers of the past Egypt, Greece, Romans, etc. Well, at least 12 other people gather around and everyone ends up talking about survival and the bleakness of the future.

I've just noticed that over the last year or so that people seem allot more worried, edgy and in general pretty pessimistic about the future. I've also noticed that all you have to say is hello and people are open to conversation and usually end up on hard luck stories of themselves and the people they know. I tell you my optimistic approach to life is taking a hit lately.

So.. whats your vision on the future?

A fibriling economic recovery followed by a period of stagflation (or less likely, but not entirely impossible, a period of hyperinflation)

We might reregulate banking to insure that this monetary mess doesn't matter again, but I see no moves to drastically change what's fundamentally wrong with our economy.

I respect Goldcatt's opinion of fears being mostly baseless but I have definitely seena different side of things I believe. I know people that have worked hard their whole lives and rode out the 1.5 years of unemployment after being laid off unable to find work in even the amount they received in unemployment.

These same people, there are more than one family I know of personally, are now going to churches for food give aways and are losing their homes. I realize to some that things don't look horrible but there are many out there that would disagree. A friend and me were going down the road and a car was on the side with the whole front end tore up. my friend said, "See, that's fuckin stupid, you know the car had to be driving so messed up before that happened that he had to know it needed work done. Stupid!" So I told him, "Yeah, he's probably too broke to have it fixed. He could even be late for a job interview because of it".

I guess I just see things different than many because I have been in situations where there just seems to be no hope. So I don't go throwing judgements out until I know the story.

There's definitely a reason for many people to be concerned about their jobs and their future, the economy is bad. But we've had bad economies before and survived. Heck, I was raised mostly by relatives who supported families through the Great Depression. They all made it. A certain amount of fear and uncertainty is understandable.

But there's a difference between the kind of relatively short term pessimism and fear a recession brings and the kind of bleak, hopeless outlook a lot of people have for the future in general. Just read the board. :lol: America is dead, we're being enslaved and losing all of our freedoms to the demons du jour, the economy will NEVER, EVER recover, you can't trust your neighbors, molesters are waiting on every street corner for YOUR kids, terrerrists are lurking around every corner waiting to bomb the shit out of every single one of us, everything we eat, drink, breathe and touch causes cancer, and on and on. The world is going to end and we're all gonna diiiieeee!! :rolleyes:

And that's not even counting the conspiracy nutters.

All I can say is, WTF?

There's definitely a reason for many people to be concerned about their jobs and their future, the economy is bad. But we've had bad economies before and survived. Heck, I was raised mostly by relatives who supported families through the Great Depression. They all made it. A certain amount of fear and uncertainty is understandable.

But there's a difference between the kind of relatively short term pessimism and fear a recession brings and the kind of bleak, hopeless outlook a lot of people have for the future in general. Just read the board. :lol: America is dead, we're being enslaved and losing all of our freedoms to the demons du jour, the economy will NEVER, EVER recover, you can't trust your neighbors, molesters are waiting on every street corner for YOUR kids, terrerrists are lurking around every corner waiting to bomb the shit out of every single one of us, everything we eat, drink, breathe and touch causes cancer, and on and on. The world is going to end and we're all gonna diiiieeee!! :rolleyes:

And that's not even counting the conspiracy nutters.

All I can say is, WTF?

And don't let them take our guns away or we will be defenseless against those molestors on every corner.

Run Away!

Who has the holy handgrenade of Antioch?

And don't let them take our guns away or we will be defenseless against those molestors on every corner.

Run Away!

Who has the holy handgrenade of Antioch?

[[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xOrgLj9lOwk[/ame]
:lol:

Last edited:
The future looks bleak!

But the kids are alright!

_~mickbrod_postmodm_m_jpg_ferals-1.jpg

How many would go to chruch without the rewards of eternal life if you go to church.

Lets say dead is dead, how many would still go to church?

Forum List

Back