The Future Looks Bleak?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Lumpy 1, Feb 10, 2010.

1. Lumpy 1

Lumpy 1 Diamond Member Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +14,868
    What the Hell?

My wive and I have decided to do some church shopping and so on Sunday we go to a non-denomination church to see what the preacher has to say. He was pretty good but one of his major messages was,"I expect to see the Lord any day now and your bodies will change". In other words the rhapsody.

Today, I go to a coin dealer that I've never met before and he starts talking about how this country is going down the tubes just like the the super powers of the past Egypt, Greece, Romans, etc. Well, at least 12 other people gather around and everyone ends up talking about survival and the bleakness of the future.

I've just noticed that over the last year or so that people seem allot more worried, edgy and in general pretty pessimistic about the future. I've also noticed that all you have to say is hello and people are open to conversation and usually end up on hard luck stories of themselves and the people they know. I tell you my optimistic approach to life is taking a hit lately.

So.. whats your vision on the future?

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  2. goldcatt

goldcatt Catch me if you can! Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,331
    There's so much fear, some of it for good reason but most of it baseless. People living in fear aren't going to be happy campers when they think about today, let alone tomorrow. I'm not really sure where it comes from (but I have some suspicions) but the world is going to keep turning and the sky really isn't falling.

Unfortunately scaring the bejeebus out of people sells. Doesn't matter whether it's music, TV, movies, "news", advertising, politics left or right, religion, you name it: the messages are everywhere. So I don't see it changing anytime soon.

3. dilloduck

dilloduck Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +6,403
    Taking a poke at someones security blanket always seems to get a rise out of them.
    My future ? Looks like I have to go to work today--again.

4. chanel

chanel Silver Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,749
    Most of my friends and family are fairly secure in their jobs and have managed to put away savings for a rainy day. People's major concern is their children. Nearly every parent I talk to with college age kids is very pessimistic about the job market. Grad school may become the status quo until the economy turns around. I'm hopeful after 2012.

5. Skull Pilot

Skull Pilot Platinum Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +10,100
    The stock and trade of any religion is fear.

6. dilloduck

dilloduck Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +6,403
    and political campaign---and advertising

7. Skull Pilot

Skull Pilot Platinum Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +10,100
    and every other attempt at controlling the masses.

And people still fall for it.

8. dilloduck

dilloduck Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +6,403
    bingo----once people figure out there IS no security the house of cards all falls down

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  9. Conspiracist

Conspiracist Snuggle weather rocks!

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +505
    I respect Goldcatt's opinion of fears being mostly baseless but I have definitely seena different side of things I believe. I know people that have worked hard their whole lives and rode out the 1.5 years of unemployment after being laid off unable to find work in even the amount they received in unemployment.

These same people, there are more than one family I know of personally, are now going to churches for food give aways and are losing their homes. I realize to some that things don't look horrible but there are many out there that would disagree. A friend and me were going down the road and a car was on the side with the whole front end tore up. my friend said, "See, that's fuckin stupid, you know the car had to be driving so messed up before that happened that he had to know it needed work done. Stupid!" So I told him, "Yeah, he's probably too broke to have it fixed. He could even be late for a job interview because of it".

I guess I just see things different than many because I have been in situations where there just seems to be no hope. So I don't go throwing judgements out until I know the story.

I just re read this, I guess I am in one of my dreary moods! LOL

Last edited: Feb 10, 2010
  10. uscitizen

uscitizen Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4,807
    Yep, It is like they cannot keep themselves from falling for it.