The fungus among us

syrenn

Rookie
May 10, 2010
I am loving this mushroom base! It adds a wonderful mushroom flavor when you need it. It comes in many flavor bases and ive used several of them, which i feel are top quality as well.

I love mushrooms and thought i would share the fungus among us.

Superior Touch

bones... your fungus is on the way! ;)

I am loving this mushroom base! It adds a wonderful mushroom flavor when you need it. It comes in many flavor bases and ive used several of them, which i feel are top quality as well.

Superior Touch

Cool, and they have vegetarian options too!

Thanks for the link, I'm going to try some!

Sounds great!

• Banned

Superior Touch

Cool, and they have vegetarian options too!

Thanks for the link, I'm going to try some!

Sounds great!

Its really great stuff! Ive used the REAL beef and chicken base and think that it preforms very well. One of the reasons i love this stuff is that it has so much less salt in it. If you do get some...let us know how you like it. :)

Last edited:
Ex loves shrooms. Usually satee'd with onions and maybe a smidge of terriyaki and butter. Me, I hate cooked shrooms. I like them raw, rinsed in cold water and dash of salt on top.

• Banned
Ex loves shrooms. Usually satee'd with onions and maybe a smidge of terriyaki and butter. Me, I hate cooked shrooms. I like them raw, rinsed in cold water and dash of salt on top.

Do you like the flavor of mushroom in sauce or soup? If you do...try this stuff. Ive added it to beef stew...and WOW its great!

I love the Better Than Bullion product line! Great staples for cooking.

There's a fungus among us...
:eek:
Giant fungus discovered in China
1 August 2011 - Small fragments have broken off the single giant fungus
The most massive fruiting body of any fungus yet documented has been discovered growing on the underside of a tree in China. The fruiting body, which is equivalent to the mushrooms produced by other fungi species, is up to 10m long, 80cm wide and weighs half a tonne. That shatters the record held previously by a fungus growing in Kew Gardens in the UK. The new giant fungus is thought to be at least 20 years old.

The first example of the new giant fungus was recorded by scientists in 2008 in Fujian Province, China, by Professor Yu-Cheng Dai of the Herbarium of biology at the Chinese Academy of Sciences in Shenyang and his assistant Dr Cui. "But the type collection was not huge," Prof Dai told BBC Nature. However, "we found [the] giant one in Hainan Province in 2010."

The researchers were in the field studying wood-decaying fungi when they happened upon the specimen, which they describe in the journal Fungal Biology. "We were not specifically looking for this fungus; we did not know the fungus can grow so huge," he said. "We were surprised when we found it, and we did not recognise it in the forest because it is too large." The fungus, F. ellipsoidea, is what mycologists call a perennial polypore - otherise known as a bracket fungus.

Being a perennial, it can live for a number of years, which may have enabled it to grow to such large size. By colonising the underside of the large fallen tree, the fungus also had a huge amount of dead and decaying wood to feed on, helping to fuel its growth. Fruiting bodies, such as mushrooms and toadstools, are the sexual stages of a many higher types of fungi, producing seeds or spores that produce further generations.

More BBC Nature - Giant fungus discovered in China

Uncle Ferd n' possum out pickin' `srooms fer Granny...
:redface:
'Magic mushroom' drug may improve personality long-term
9/29/2011 - In new research that will almost certainly create controversy, scientists working with the hallucinogen psilocybin -- the active ingredient found in "magic mushrooms" -- have found that a single dose of the drug prompted an enduring but positive personality change in almost 60 percent of patients.
Specifically, tests involving a small group of patients in a strictly controlled and monitored clinical setting revealed that, more often than not, one round of psilocybin exposure successfully boosted an individual's sense of "openness." What's more, the apparent shift in what is deemed to be a key aspect of personality did not dissipate after exposure, lasting at least a year and sometimes longer.

"Now this finding is really quite fascinating," said study author Roland R. Griffiths, a professor in the departments of psychiatry and neuroscience at Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine in Baltimore. "And that is because personality is considered a stable characteristic of the psychology of people. It's been thought to be relatively immutable, and stable across the lifespan.

"But, remarkably, this study shows that psilocybin actually changes one domain of personality that is strongly related to traits such as imagination, feeling, abstract ideas and aesthetics, and is considered a core construct underlying creativity in general," he added. "And the changes we see appear to be long-term."

Griffiths said it's possible psilocybin could have therapeutic uses. For example, he is currently studying whether the hallucinogen might be useful in helping cancer patients cope with the depression and anxiety that often accompany the disease, and whether it might help smokers quit the habit. Griffiths and his colleagues discuss their findings, funded in part by the U.S. National Institute on Drug Abuse, in the new issue of the Journal of Psychopharmacology.

MORE

Forum List

Back