The Full Newt

i don't think it will change votes on the right. they really don't care what newt's done. they just want the most vicious voice possible. newt does good vicious. he was the only person in politics about whom tip o'neil ever used the word "hate". and it won't have any influence on people on the left. dems would chew their own arms off before they'd vote for newt, anyway.

will it influence the middle? i think it will. certainly, the fact that newt has a 60% unfavorable rating doesn't bode well for him.

I think a Newt nomination will cost votes on the right. It certainly will cost my vote. I think a lot of people on the right like me will just stay home like we did in 2008 and 2006. Since our only choices are Newt vs. Obama or Romney vs. Obama, I already plan on staying home.

i always vote. i figure i lose my right to complain if i don't. but i do think you're right. if newt's elected, a lot of people will stay home.

but there will be others who come out for him, i think. they'll be rarin to go and cheering him on. and the nastier he gets, the happier they'll be.

I think just on the GSE thing alone, Obama will sink Newt.

All it will take is to point out Newt saying having a connection to Freddie Mac lobbyists is jail-worthy and then showing he was paid $1.6 million by their top lobbyist.

But the real torpedo will be Newt's fantasy conversation that he was told by the GSEs they were being forced to make bad loans and that he told them they were insane.

All that needs to be revealed is that insider Q&A he had at Freddie Mac saying the housing market was more stable than it would have been without the GSEs. And Bloomberg news has indicated that Freddie Mac insiders are saying Newt's fantasy version is total bullshit.

If Bloomberg can find them, so can Obama, if he hasn't already.

Newt is toast. The GSEs are a HUGE hot button for conservatives and Obama knows it. He is surely keeping his billion dollars worth of powder dry, waiting for the day to blow Gingrich off the face of the Earth.

It wont get the traction you expect. Democrats are in to deep.

Democrats love the GSEs. They have nothing to lose and everything to gain by pointing out that Newt loves GSEs, too. It won't cost or gain them any votes, but it will cost Newt votes.

No one will be wanting to bring that to light. It will cost the dems to. Newt would have a field day with anyone that would attempt. The bigger problems occurred after his departure. You must take that into consideration.

i don't think it will change votes on the right. they really don't care what newt's done. they just want the most vicious voice possible. newt does good vicious. he was the only person in politics about whom tip o'neil ever used the word "hate". and it won't have any influence on people on the left. dems would chew their own arms off before they'd vote for newt, anyway.

will it influence the middle? i think it will. certainly, the fact that newt has a 60% unfavorable rating doesn't bode well for him.

We don’t' need the leftist, you can keep um, independents don't want Obama, the love affair is over. For clear thinking people anyway

Obama has greater support amongst Independents than Newt.

:doubt:

I think a Newt nomination will cost votes on the right. It certainly will cost my vote. I think a lot of people on the right like me will just stay home like we did in 2008 and 2006. Since our only choices are Newt vs. Obama or Romney vs. Obama, I already plan on staying home.

i always vote. i figure i lose my right to complain if i don't. but i do think you're right. if newt's elected, a lot of people will stay home.

I vote on the local level when there are measures on the ballot that affect tax rates. Where I live, the people of this state have never seen a tax increase they didn't like. Pisses me off.

I stopped voting on the national level because the third parties are all propellerheads and I don't want to encourage them into thinking they are doing something right because they mistakenly believe they have earned my vote.

but there will be others who come out for him, i think. they'll be rarin to go and cheering him on. and the nastier he gets, the happier they'll be.

Newt is a master of mindless sloganeering and shallow appeals to emotion. In the TV and internet age all that matters is what you say, not what you do. Since half the population is literally of less than average intelligence, his methods are very attractive to a lot of people.

Nasty? You mean like sliming people like Palin? And Bachman? Who are great people.. They slimed Cain out of the race, Obama dug up sealed divorce papers to win his senate seat. Sleazy is all the dems have stick to the issues dems lose

Last edited:
Nasty? You mean like sliming people like Palin? And Bachman? Who are great people.. They slimed Cain out of the race, Obama dug up sealed divorce papers to win his senate seat. Sleazy is all the dems have stick to the issues dems lose

The only issues I have heard out of Newt's mouth since he discovered he was losing have been "Mitt this" and "Mitt that". Incessant class warfare, tax the rich, anti-free-enterprise rhetoric.

Last edited:

The only issues I have heard out of Newt's mouth since he discovered he was losing have been "Mitt this" and "Mitt that". Incessant class warfare, tax the rich, anti-free-enterprise rhetoric.

I Agree that was bullshit, but it was in response to Romney's slime adds, Anyway all that stuff would have been used by Obama, better to have Romney face it now as opposed to in the general.

I Agree that was bullshit, but it was in response to Romney's slime adds, Anyway all that stuff would have been used by Obama, better to have Romney face it now as opposed to in the general.

And better for Newt to face it now, too. Exactly why I started this topic with his own words: “If there’s anything in there that is going to help us lose the election, we should know it before the nomination.”

Romney is taking this line of attack.

Mitt Romney today called on Newt Gingrich to release records related to his consulting contracts saying they could include “wrongful activity.”

Mr. Romney’s comments at a press conference here were just one of the avenues he took in a direct assault on Mr. Gingrich that the campaign has been sharpening since the former Massachusetts governor’s bitter defeat in South Carolina. The campaign also released its first negative ad against Republican rival, a television spot in Florida linking the $1.6 million Mr. Gingrich earned as a consultant with failed mortgage giant Freddie Mac to the broken housing market here.

“At the time he was lobbying Republican congressmen for Medicare Part D, was he working, or were his entities working with any health care companies that could have benefited from that?” Mr. Romney said. “That could represent not just evidence of lobbying but potentially wrongful activity of some kind. And finally, let’s also see the relationship between Freddie Mac and the work product with Freddie Mac.”

Romney Slams Gingrich on Consulting Contracts - Washington Wire - WSJ

Forum List

Back