The French have their problems

Said1 said:
The article states some retirees are not being replaced. Job protection usually comes from job senority, you don't their positions have become obsolete at all? Not even in one or two instances. No is your final answer?
No I'm not saying their position hasn't become obsolete, just that as a whole there are way too many jobs cut for the good of security, health and education. I've lived it personaly so I know, especially in school.

j07950 said:
No I'm not saying their position hasn't become obsolete, just that as a whole there are way too many jobs cut for the good of security, health and education. I've lived it personaly so I know, especially in school.

But you did say that. You also said in other threads that the public sector was fine in France, especially healthcare.

Said1 said:
But you did say that. You also said in other threads that the public sector was fine in France, especially healthcare.
Public sector in France is really good, but it won't be for very long if they continue to cut jobs. Which is why these unions are good. Health is top. Everything else is pretty good to european standards, but it's taken a hit with all these job cuts and all.

j07950 said:
Public sector in France is really good, but it won't be for very long if they continue to cut jobs. Which is why these unions are good. Health is top. Everything else is pretty good to european standards, but it's taken a hit with all these job cuts and all.

I think I tried to point this out to you, but I'm fairly certain you poopooed the idea of potential job cuts in the public sector in order to meet EU limits on public spending. Either way, France can't maintain the cost of socialized everything forever. Does that sound familiar?

Said1 said:
I think I tried to point this out to you, but I'm fairly certain you poopooed the idea of potential job cuts in the public sector in order to meet EU limits on public spending. Either way, France can't maintain the cost of socialized everything forever. Does that sound familiar?
Yeah but I never proposed cuts in the public sector. I said it might have to but I don't approve of it. In certain sectors maybee but the sectors they are cutting jobs are exactly the sectors you shouldn't cut jobs in.

j07950 said:
Yeah but I never proposed cuts in the public sector. I said it might have to but I don't approve of it. In certain sectors maybee but the sectors they are cutting jobs are exactly the sectors you shouldn't cut jobs in.

I know you didn't propose jobs cuts. You claimed the article I posted was bogus because it was old. It may have been old, but I see it was right on target.

I am glad I am not a small business owner if France. Any place that would force me to hire people against the fiscal solvency of my business is obviously antagonistic towards the owners of small businesses. Forcing companies to keep people in employment keeping the profit down not only is bad for the business itself but it is bad for taxes. The less I earn the less the Government gets at the exceedingly high rates that they charge those with higher incomes.

In this I believe the Government is shooting itself in the foot here.

CSM said:
So essentially what you are telling me that it is the law that no one employed in the privarte sector in France is supposed to work more than 35 hours per week. Those that do are breaking the law? The fact that the law is not enforced is beside the point. I am not trying to be sarcastic or trap you. I truly am trying to understand how the 35 hour work week applies LEGALLY to the private sector in the French workplace.

one thing, the 35 hours work are not only for the French workplace! it is being developped around all the Europeen contries... but it is not illegal to work over 35 hours a week, BUT all hours after 35 hours have to be recuperated... (in other means, you get hours of work off the week after, or you can cumulate it to have more vacations)

but what french people call "cadres" (which are engineers level and above) do not have tha privilege. they can work more than 35 hours with no more benefits.

the 35 hours were SUPPOSED to lower unemployement by limiting work hours for people to have other people employed to take over the rest of the hours! But, one thing the government forgot is that the social charges for the employees are still too high, making it impossible for the compagnie to employe more people... that ways, they (the compagnie AND the employees) lose money, etc...

now the government is going back, saying that it is not illegal to work more than 35 hours a week, and the rules are being "adjusted"....

drlin said:
one thing, the 35 hours work are not only for the French workplace! it is being developped around all the Europeen contries... but it is not illegal to work over 35 hours a week, BUT all hours after 35 hours have to be recuperated... (in other means, you get hours of work off the week after, or you can cumulate it to have more vacations)

but what french people call "cadres" (which are engineers level and above) do not have tha privilege. they can work more than 35 hours with no more benefits.

the 35 hours were SUPPOSED to lower unemployement by limiting work hours for people to have other people employed to take over the rest of the hours! But, one thing the government forgot is that the social charges for the employees are still too high, making it impossible for the compagnie to employe more people... that ways, they (the compagnie AND the employees) lose money, etc...

now the government is going back, saying that it is not illegal to work more than 35 hours a week, and the rules are being "adjusted"....

and this helps the country or individual how? What if the individual wishes to be paid, so that they can provide their children with 'extras?'

Kathianne said:
and this helps the country or individual how? What if the individual wishes to be paid, so that they can provide their children with 'extras?'

never said it helped the contry :)

it helps the government's wallet.... that is all

drlin said:
never said it helped the contry :)

it helps the government's wallet.... that is all

Personally, sounds like a bad idea to me. Government should stay out of people's lives as much as possible.

Kathianne said:
Personally, sounds like a bad idea to me. Government should stay out of people's lives as much as possible.

:teeth: LOL, is that an american's point of view???

are you sure your government is more out of your life than the French government is out of their people's life??

CNN last night that all the french citizens that were released from gitmo and flown home to france were promtly areested and have been detained without charge and without legal council by the french.....oh yea the brits did the smae thing...oh and the germans....

drlin said:

are you sure your government is more out of your life than the French government is out of their people's life??

The US government, while certainly taxing us too much, doesn't tax nearly as much as the French do.

manu1959 said:
CNN last night that all the french citizens that were released from gitmo and flown home to france were promtly areested and have been detained without charge and without legal council by the french.....oh yea the brits did the smae thing...oh and the germans....

and........

never said the french government was better than the american's...

gop_jeff said:
The US government, while certainly taxing us too much, doesn't tax nearly as much as the French do.

that's for sure, but the French population does get some other benefits from some high taxes (god knows they don't have many....)

i'm sure some benefits are worthless, and not really needed, except to get unemployed people stay unemployed.... but who cares.... it's their problem... :laugh:

drlin said:

If I were a Muslim would my Government tell me what clothes my daughter could wear to school? No. So I would say that the US Government is less interfering than the level at which your Government goes.

Anyway this wasn't a judgement on either Government but a basic philosophy of life. The US has a Libertarian string that runs strong and many people believe in this basic philosophy it is one of the reasons that the US is so much further right than your countries.

Forum List

Back