The founding family you’ve never heard of: The black Tuckers of Hampton, Virginia

I like genealogy. Yours, mine, whomever. My founding families
:William Bradford (governor) - Wikipedia
William Penn - Wikipedia

And some others that would actually be classified as First Families rather than founding families and even more nobody important peeps. If I look at the other side of my family...........I am the Roman Empire.

The NYT always has an agenda. I wouldn't trust those people as far as I could throw them. Ya, I know they are all out on capitalism............which is why everyone is flipping out. AND they say so behind a paywall. I didn't read through the essays they have on the 1619 project. I'm not interested in hunting that down.

Be that as it may, there are some interesting stories . The DNA test from an elder in the family showed they were from Ghana rather than Angola. The reality is that they might not ever know but they are taking care of a cemetery with about 100 unmarked graves involved. I'm ok with some of the stories that come out of this. They are just ordinary people.

The NYT still pays a few columnists and editorial writers who are not on the Reservation, but their days are limited, true enough. Re the ]1619 Project', the only people I see touting that up have been racists cop killer fans like IM2 and his ilk, so I'll wait until somebody credible comes along and fill us in on it before I waste time researching it.

My brother had his DNA done, and it had a few surprises, but still mostly northern European, Norman, and Huguenots, the latter immigrating to South Carolina via Brittany and England, and the German relatives immigrating to first Georgia, then Tennessee, eventually fighting in the Civil War for the North in a Tennessee volunteer regiment; many Germans settled in Georgia were opposed to slavery, and were driven out of the 'Cotton Kingdom' early on, and migrated north. The poorer ones stayed and many died along with poor Irish immigrants building the levees around New Orleans and along the Mississippi; black slaves were too valuable to risk, so white laborers got the deadly dangerous low paying crap jobs in the south as well in the north. There are 10's of thousands of skeletons in those levees, just buried over where they fell dead on the job.

There was a time that I would read the NYT specifically for their global news. They ran two articles (at different times) before 2016 that made it impossible to take them seriously. The first was on education and presented as fact when it wasn't. The second was on bamboo crops and bringing those countries thus designated into the modern world by increasing their technology. As we all know the first thing we do to increase our children's mad tech skillz is have them grow bamboo. By 2016 I was done. The NYT Magazine is simply by extension and profit motivated.

You have relatives that died building the New Basin Canal? That is some interesting and largely forgotten history right there. Disposable people.

William Penn - Wikipedia

And some others that would actually be classified as First Families rather than founding families and even more nobody important peeps. If I look at the other side of my family...........I am the Roman Empire.

The NYT always has an agenda. I wouldn't trust those people as far as I could throw them. Ya, I know they are all out on capitalism............which is why everyone is flipping out. AND they say so behind a paywall. I didn't read through the essays they have on the 1619 project. I'm not interested in hunting that down.

Be that as it may, there are some interesting stories . The DNA test from an elder in the family showed they were from Ghana rather than Angola. The reality is that they might not ever know but they are taking care of a cemetery with about 100 unmarked graves involved. I'm ok with some of the stories that come out of this. They are just ordinary people.

The NYT still pays a few columnists and editorial writers who are not on the Reservation, but their days are limited, true enough. Re the ]1619 Project', the only people I see touting that up have been racists cop killer fans like IM2 and his ilk, so I'll wait until somebody credible comes along and fill us in on it before I waste time researching it.

My brother had his DNA done, and it had a few surprises, but still mostly northern European, Norman, and Huguenots, the latter immigrating to South Carolina via Brittany and England, and the German relatives immigrating to first Georgia, then Tennessee, eventually fighting in the Civil War for the North in a Tennessee volunteer regiment; many Germans settled in Georgia were opposed to slavery, and were driven out of the 'Cotton Kingdom' early on, and migrated north. The poorer ones stayed and many died along with poor Irish immigrants building the levees around New Orleans and along the Mississippi; black slaves were too valuable to risk, so white laborers got the deadly dangerous low paying crap jobs in the south as well in the north. There are 10's of thousands of skeletons in those levees, just buried over where they fell dead on the job.

There was a time that I would read the NYT specifically for their global news. They ran two articles (at different times) before 2016 that made it impossible to take them seriously. The first was on education and presented as fact when it wasn't. The second was on bamboo crops and bringing those countries thus designated into the modern world by increasing their technology. As we all know the first thing we do to increase our children's mad tech skillz is have them grow bamboo. By 2016 I was done. The NYT Magazine is simply by extension and profit motivated.

You have relatives that died building the New Basin Canal? That is some interesting and largely forgotten history right there. Disposable people.

If you have Fredrick Law Omstead's travel book on his trip to Texas through the South, you have some of that story already, from a source no one can dispute. Other Louisiana histories cover that era as well.

The NYT is on record admitting it distorts the news, and also admits it won't run any negative stories about their pet causes and political beliefs. This is in fact the case with nearly all of the MSM now. It's backfire on them, however, as they now can't influence elections any more, which means they lose billions in political advertising money, the main reason they hate Trump is his destruction of their credibility and therefore their cushy jobs, what little they had left. Most papers and mags are dead, as are pay for view news channels.

There are a lot of old cemeteries, especially black cemeteries forgotten across the south. The first place I work had one and they only knew it was there first because of me and second because eventually some really old family member of the deceased showed up and had a cow that the thing had never been maintained. I knew it because my great uncle had worked there when I was a kid and he had told me it was there. When I worked there, I told my boss that there was a black cemetery under this grove of pine trees that was so thick with thorns, poison ivy, and privet nobody dared ever tackle taming it. They didn't really believe me until the old lady showed up and started threatening to sue them. At that point they forced us to clean it up. Once we cleaned it off you could see the indention from a few graves and a few rocks turned up on their ends set in the ground as headstones.
I found that my familys old Bury ground was a part now of a cow pasture. In passing there use to be a Black Cem at the corner of Sunrise Blvd and NW 27th Ave in Fort Lauderdale, Fla, many year ago. Now its a Drug Store and small shopping Center. History dies a little at a time.
Sorry about your family's cemetery, Dan. That happens up here all the time, too. My mother's family's is in the middle of a wild blueberry barren, and if you go walking through the woods, it's common to find a tipped over, broken stone among the trees, indicating a family cemetery was there. Folks in rural parts usually buried their folks out on high ground behind the house and a lot didn't have grave stones at all.

Families move away, the house is abandoned, the grounds aren't tended and if there aren't stones, forget it. Even if there are, they won't stay up forever around here, due to our winters. The real old ones sink, as soon as the wooden coffin rots it leaves a cavity and the soil above starts sinking into it, stone and all. All the stones on my gr-gr grandparents plot are gone except theirs, and that is because their stone toppled flat on the ground so it didn't sink. I did a lot of my genealogy with gravestones because so many records have burned. It's heartbreaking to me to see the old cemeteries overgrown and uncared for, but it's very expensive to set them right.

Anytime we find old burying grounds like that around here, we document it and if there are any stones left to see we record what's on it. A lot of families have ancestors buried deep in the woods. Sometimes in the summer, someone will come visit and ask to go there....bring your bug spray.

William Penn - Wikipedia

If you have Fredrick Law Omstead's travel book on his trip to Texas through the South, you have some of that story already, from a source no one can dispute. Other Louisiana histories cover that era as well.

The NYT is on record admitting it distorts the news, and also admits it won't run any negative stories about their pet causes and political beliefs. This is in fact the case with nearly all of the MSM now. It's backfire on them, however, as they now can't influence elections any more, which means they lose billions in political advertising money, the main reason they hate Trump is his destruction of their credibility and therefore their cushy jobs, what little they had left. Most papers and mags are dead, as are pay for view news channels.

I can't believe you know Omstead. I love that crazy man. I don't own the book but I am familiar with him and his work.

I don't read a lot of MSM. There are places that I flat out won't deal with anymore.

William Penn - Wikipedia

I can't believe you know Omstead. I love that crazy man. I don't own the book but I am familiar with him and his work.

I don't read a lot of MSM. There are places that I flat out won't deal with anymore.

I would be shocked to know anybody who has read much on American history doesn't know about Omsted, given his career as a major American architect and his abolitionist work. He wrote extensively on the pre-Civil War South and Texas.

Last edited:
"Founding family"???

There were the first families of Virginia. They were the prominent social class but not the earliest settlers. My own namesake landed in Virginia in 1624. Then somehow bred with the natives.

I've always found that part of pre-American history far more interesting than the founding era.
It is really interesting, but super hard to "prove." How did you know about your namesake? Was it a family story like the Tuckers, or even Elizabeth Warren's? It's easy to see how families believe these things without being able to verify them.

I love genealogy. It's such an interesting puzzle and challenge.

I have proof of everything. Old Bibles, papers, pictures.
Need to get with the oldest living to write names on the backs of some pictures so it's known who they are.

Forum List

Back