The Forcing of Spanish on the American People.

brokenarrow

Rookie
Apr 20, 2011
Immigrants and English
The question of whether or not immigrants want to
learn English remains a flashpoint in the immigration
debate. Where some may see only a linguistic
shortcoming, others interpret an inability
to speak English as an unwillingness to fit into
American society. Common complaints framed in the form of
questions include “Why can’t they speak English?” and “Why
don’t they learn English the way past immigrants learned it?”

As with many other issues, Americans base their conclusions
about this subject largely on personal experience.
Native-born people who come into contact
with the many immigrants who work in
restaurants, hotels, and retail, draw conclusions
from these encounters about whether
immigrants as a group are learning English.

To understand the subject, it is helpful to
examine academic studies and census data to
see how people’s perceptions match up with
reality. Moreover, one should review survey
questions answered by immigrants, analyze
data on earlier immigrants to the United States, and look at current
U.S. efforts to teach English to newcomers.

This is the led-in to a report made by the CATO Institute. It tries to make Americans think that Mexicans and other Latin American people who are now in the US are trying their best to learn English and be good Americans. It also attempts to show that the children of these "Spanish Only" language people will actually drop the use of Spanish the longer they live in the United States.

Here is the report:
http://www.cato.org/pubs/irb/irb_october2010.pdf

If you are an American living near these people, you must have experienced that even if they know how to speak English, they seem to put up "the wall of Spanish" as an American walks by to keep you at a distance. (A real insult in most countries and might even get you killed)

You will also notice that as these "immigrants" start taking over a neighborhood, they use the Spanish language to mark their territory. Businesses spring up with not a word of English on them to invite American customers onto their property. They are basically saying "YANKEE GO HOME"! Is this a sign that these "immigrants", who borrowed money from American banks to open those businesses in the first place, will make good Americans?

The report goes on to use an example of 1910 Wisconsin and German speaking residence. They use this hundred year old example to show that very few of these Germans spoke English. What they don't discuss is the fact that in most farming communities, the average person may not travel more that twenty miles away for years and maybe not for their entire lives. What brought them out of those communities was being drafted into the wars of the 20th century. But the vast majority of Latin Americans really have no experience of helping the United States fight those wars.

The final paragraphs are on how important the English language is, not just to America, but the world, as it is being learned in virtually every country around the globe. But if this is the case, why are these people forcing Spanish on their children? Why are they forcing Americans to learn Spanish?

Last edited:
I'm not quite certain how to respond to this. It's either quite biased and anti-Hispanic or terribly true!!! :cool:

I've been married to 22 years to a woman from Mexico so I've been close to the Hispanic community here in Las Vegas.

While there are no "barrios" there are distinct areas where one finds Hispanic businesses. A lot of Hispanic grocery stores are, in fact, doing far better than their Gringo counterparts.

What bothers me most is that it shows a trend not to become Americanized - to melt into the melting pot we once had.:cool:

The melting pot idea means we absorb each others cultures not that the new culture melts away entirely.

This guy is a flat out racist though

One of the things that cracks me up about this issue is most of the accomadations made for spanish speaking people is done by the free market.

The business sector knows that there is money to be made with people who speak only spanish so they accomodate them.

Right wing fools then think its all coming from the government

People don't automatically speak perfect English when they get here, but by the second generation, that's usually a moot point. Be patient. If the parents don't speak, the kids will help them out. There's also the fact the Spanish IS an American laguage. Many Americans are born on AMERICAN SOIL where Spanish is the first language, so how can it not be an American language? As long as Puerto Ricans are American citizens, English CAN'T be recognized as the one and only language in America.

• Banned
I'm not quite certain how to respond to this. It's either quite biased and anti-Hispanic or terribly true!!! :cool:

I've been married to 22 years to a woman from Mexico so I've been close to the Hispanic community here in Las Vegas.

While there are no "barrios" there are distinct areas where one finds Hispanic businesses. A lot of Hispanic grocery stores are, in fact, doing far better than their Gringo counterparts.

What bothers me most is that it shows a trend not to become Americanized - to melt into the melting pot we once had.:cool:

In truth, they expect everybody to cater to their wishes. They're not going to melt unless we drop a few bombs on Mexico.

• Banned
The melting pot idea means we absorb each others cultures not that the new culture melts away entirely.

I'll eat a taco or two but those porch monkeys better learn the laws of the land in English.

• Banned
One of the things that cracks me up about this issue is most of the accomadations made for spanish speaking people is done by the free market.

The business sector knows that there is money to be made with people who speak only spanish so they accomodate them.

Then the business sector better get used to living in a Latin American ghetto. This isn't going to stop in the low income neighborhoods.

• Banned
People don't automatically speak perfect English when they get here, but by the second generation, that's usually a moot point. Be patient. If the parents don't speak, the kids will help them out. There's also the fact the Spanish IS an American laguage. Many Americans are born on AMERICAN SOIL where Spanish is the first language, so how can it not be an American language? As long as Puerto Ricans are American citizens, English CAN'T be recognized as the one and only language in America.

But Latin Americans shouldn't be treated like they are the chosen ones. We did better when every other country sent "immigrants". If you think Latinos are going to improve life in America, take a look at what they did to there own lands. Now where are you going to move to?

We respect anyone making an honest effort. That's not what we're talking about here.

We are an English speaking nation, learn it or leave. I hear about 3rd generation families that don't speak English. NO other country in the world does what we do, it is insane. As for Puerto Rico it is no accident that it is not a state, I don't speak Samoan either. What is your point. As for them improving things, I don't know of one Spanish speaking country where I would want to move. While we are at it throw in any Muslim country as well.

Shut up moron. I'd say your PC-ness was the problem but you're too dumb even to be that.

Also, anyone running around with a mexican flag should be shot.

If it's so fucking great, why'd you crawl across the desert to get here?
Gunny said:
Hi, you have received -590 reputation points from Gunny.
Reputation was given for this post.

Comment:
Right backatcha. We can do this all day.

Regards,
Gunny

Note: This is an automated message.

Who knew the Marines prefer foreign flags instead of American flags flying over American soil?

Whi

Forum List

Back