The Food Stamp Discussion (POLL)

Food Stamps

• Total voters
After carefully examination of the evidence, I've concluded that paulie is retarded.

The creepy little death metal kid that no one likes thinks I'm retarded.

Holy fucking shit! I'm cancelling my internet!

At least get the right sterotype, moron

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AEw0s-ZJlgk[/ame]

Bitch+Brigade_convert_20100318123046.jpg

I shouldn't pick on you for being gay when people are killing themselves over it these days.

My apologies. :thup:

I agree. No decent parent punishes all their kids when one does something wrong - same methodology applies to food stamps. We shouldn't punish everyone for the actions of the few. Having said that, I do think we need to clamp down on those few. I see no reason why someone who needs help should be punished by saying 'no luxuries' (like cakes and shit). I certainly don't think we should force people on foodstamps to only have 'healthy' stuff - just because someone is struggling does not mean we should 'nanny' those people.
Right, you don't punish everyone on foods stamps because of a few cheats.

Both my wife and myself have volunteered at a food bank for some years. It seemed like most of the regulars had jobs but there were just to many mouths to feed on a small pay check. We were open 10-3 twice a week. The line would form outside the door starting about 9. By 1 most most everything was gone. We had some things you can't get on food stamps such as toilet paper, soap, and toothpaste. We had a lot of can food, but never any fresh vegetables or fruit. Most everything was donated, so the customers never new what they might find.

Without food stamps, there is just no way most of these people could survive. Charitable operations such as food banks help, but they are just not enough. I have not been in a food bank in the last 2 years but I would imagine the makeup of the clients have changed quite a bit with the recession.

And not everyone that shows up at food banks are receiving food stamps. That's been the case for years, but I'm sure it's much worse now with the economy and unemployment being where they are.
Most clients of food banks are on food stamps.

It seems everyone has their own idea of who's worthy of receiving social service. The problem is agreeing on a criteria and then the cost of investigation and enforcement.

Hey syrenn, gluten and casein are causing a lot of health problems in people. In fact, studies have shown that they especially increase symptoms in people with developmental disorders such as autism.

They also cause intestinal problems, amongst many others. 99% of people with gluten sensitivity don't even know that gluten is causing their symptoms.

As I'm sure you know, gluten is found in almost everything we eat, from bread, to pasta, to pizza, and most processed foods.

The New England Journal of Medicine has 55 diseases linked to gluten exposure, including osteoporosis, irritable bowel disease, inflammatory bowel disease, anemia, cancer, fatigue, canker sores, and rheumatoid arthritis, lupus, multiple sclerosis, and almost all other autoimmune diseases. Gluten is also linked to many psychiatric and neurological diseases, including anxiety, depression, schizophrenia, dementia, migraines, epilepsy, and neuropathy.

In light of this, it doesn't seem to make much sense to allow people to buy bread, cows milk products, barley, sandwich wraps, pizza, etc.

Basically, gluten and casein products are unhealthy and can not be trusted to be included in people's diets.

Hey Paulie,

You really don't get it do you? If Gluten is making someone sick they can choose foods that don't contain gluten. No one is telling or suggesting they cant have "unhealthy" or "junk" foods. What it is SAYING is that certain foods and beverages are no longer covered by the program.

If soda and junk is what they want, they may buy and consume as much junk and soda as they can afford...they would just have to PAY for it themselves.

However, it may be that in purchasing the junk, it cuts into the beer, alcohol, cigarette, or party budget.

Hey syrenn, gluten and casein are causing a lot of health problems in people. In fact, studies have shown that they especially increase symptoms in people with developmental disorders such as autism.

They also cause intestinal problems, amongst many others. 99% of people with gluten sensitivity don't even know that gluten is causing their symptoms.

As I'm sure you know, gluten is found in almost everything we eat, from bread, to pasta, to pizza, and most processed foods.

The New England Journal of Medicine has 55 diseases linked to gluten exposure, including osteoporosis, irritable bowel disease, inflammatory bowel disease, anemia, cancer, fatigue, canker sores, and rheumatoid arthritis, lupus, multiple sclerosis, and almost all other autoimmune diseases. Gluten is also linked to many psychiatric and neurological diseases, including anxiety, depression, schizophrenia, dementia, migraines, epilepsy, and neuropathy.

In light of this, it doesn't seem to make much sense to allow people to buy bread, cows milk products, barley, sandwich wraps, pizza, etc.

Basically, gluten and casein products are unhealthy and can not be trusted to be included in people's diets.

Hey Paulie,

You really don't get it do you? If Gluten is making someone sick they can choose foods that don't contain gluten. No one is telling or suggesting they cant have "unhealthy" or "junk" foods. What it is SAYING is that certain foods and beverages are no longer covered by the program.

If soda and junk is what they want, they may buy and consume as much junk and soda as they can afford...they would just have to PAY for it themselves.

However, it may be that in purchasing the junk, it cuts into the beer, alcohol, cigarette, or party budget.

Hey syrenn, I'm not yet clear on your point about people buying junk with their own money. Could you possibly say it maybe 3 or 4 million more times so I can be 100% sure how you feel?

You obviously don't get the point about the gluten. Most people that suffer from gluten exposure symptoms don't know that it's gluten that's causing it. It gets mistaken for many other problems. It's probably causing quicker health issues for people than an occasional bag of potato chips or a can of soda, but as far as you're concerned, you'd be ok with people being able to buy everything ELSE that's harming their bodies as long as it's not snack food items. That makes total sense :rolleyes:

And you also seem to think that all food stamp recipients are out buying Corvettes and cocaine with spare cash they just don't feel like using for groceries.

Just the mere fact that you have such a jaded view on food stamp recipients and such mistrust of them as a whole shows that you look down upon them as a demographic and somehow think they're beneath you.

That's why you feel the need to control their choices, because you don't trust them to make the right choices for themselves.

Right out of the fucking leftist handbook :thup:

Hey Paulie,

Hey syrenn, I'm not yet clear on your point about people buying junk with their own money. Could you possibly say it maybe 3 or 4 million more times so I can be 100% sure how you feel?

You obviously don't get the point about the gluten. Most people that suffer from gluten exposure symptoms don't know that it's gluten that's causing it. It gets mistaken for many other problems. It's probably causing quicker health issues for people than an occasional bag of potato chips or a can of soda, but as far as you're concerned, you'd be ok with people being able to buy everything ELSE that's harming their bodies as long as it's not snack food items. That makes total sense :rolleyes:

And you also seem to think that all food stamp recipients are out buying Corvettes and cocaine with spare cash they just don't feel like using for groceries.

Just the mere fact that you have such a jaded view on food stamp recipients and such mistrust of them as a whole shows that you look down upon them as a demographic and somehow think they're beneath you.

That's why you feel the need to control their choices, because you don't trust them to make the right choices for themselves.

I get the point about gluten. What part of "no one is telling them what they can and cant have" aren't you understanding? If gluten is a problem they can purchase gluten free foods.

So what are YOU saying..you want gluten products on the bad list? Fine that works for me too. Its your opinion.

Hey Paulie,

I get the point about gluten. What part of "no one is telling them what they can and cant have" aren't you understanding? If gluten is a problem they can purchase gluten free foods.

So what are YOU saying..you want gluten products on the bad list? Fine that works for me too. Its your opinion.

You most certainly ARE telling them what they can and can't have. You've made a BAD LIST, dummy.

You want to control a food stamp recipient's choices with their food stamp money.

And no, I don't want ANYTHING on this so-called bad list. I don't approve or any "lists". I don't have any desire to control what someone should be able to buy, whether it's food stamp money or not.

Unlike you, I don't presume to know what's best for someone else. Junk food, snacks, gluten, hormone-laden meats, pesticide-laden vegetables, potential E-coli contaminated eggs...WHATEVER.

The fucking FDA actually has a certain acceptable amount of toxins and other undesirable crap that's ALLOWED in foods before it has to be removed from market.

We're already letting the population poison itself regardless of potato chips and soda.

You're accomplishing NOTHING by controlling that particular aspect.

NOTHING.

The grocery chains and the rest of Big Food is still profitting as was always intended from the very beginning of the program.

I'm done, syrenn. We're going in circles, we'll just have to agree to disagree.

How about we provide a box of food for each citizen each week and you can choose whether or not you take it. The food should be enough to feed one person for a week, but nothing fancy, no chocolates, no steaks, no soda pop. Bottled water should be included. There are a lot of homeless people who depend on bottled water and they can't carry an entire gallon around with them and of course, what they leave behind can be and is stolen frequently.

Forum List

Back