The Food Stamp Discussion (POLL)

Food Stamps

• Total voters

xotoxi

Platinum Member
Mar 1, 2009
Yuurmaam
I find the food stamp discussion to be really interesting, with conservatives and liberals arguing both sides.

I have created a public poll to see where people really lie...hopefully the three choices that I came up with represent most of your positions. If they do not, please explain yourself.

1. The food purchased with food stamps should NOT be limited...recipients should be allowed to choose the foods that they buy

2. The food purchased with food stamps should be limited to only healthy choices...other food can be bought with cash

3. Food stamps should be discontinued entirely

4. Other

Last edited:
Other.

I would eliminate things like candy, soda, and bubble gum that I don't consider meal items. But I wouldn't give people only a brief list of what they "could" buy either. Healthy according to whom? Is a box of spaghetti and a jar of pasta sauce healthy, or are we going to argue over whether it has to be whole grain or organic? That's asking for trouble from the food police. So sort of between 1 and 2.

"The food purchased with food stamps should be limited to only healthy choices"

I have not read, nor participated, in other food stamp discussions here. I heard a comment the other day which sums up my perspective. When you're living under your parents roof, you eat what they put on your plate. When you're on your own, you can make your own food choices. If you're in need of government assistance, then you eat what they put on your plate. Their house, their rules. Food stamps don't cover beer and cigs, but somehow many recipients still manage to purchase those items.

food should not be stamped.

What about being stomped?

Like by a baby kosher pig wearing red galoshes?

as long as the pig is eating the stomped food, no objections.

if it is just vandalism, that pig should be slaughtered by cutting its throat, and letting it bleed out.

then that pig should have a prayer said for it and its remains be blessed by a weird religious person.

then it should be prepared for eating, RIGHT NOW!

I think people who are on food stamps are probably struggling enough, that they don't need to be told what to buy. Do I thin a FEW abuse the system? Yes

In MY opinion.

soda, sports drinks, candy and gum, chips of all kinds, packaged cakes and cookies, ice cream, bottled water smaller then gallons.

In short....JUNK and SNACK foods.

In MY opinion.

soda, sports drinks, candy and gum, chips of all kinds, packaged cakes and cookies, ice cream, bottled water smaller then gallons.

If someone buys $300 of regular groceries, and wants to buy a cake, then so be it. You think most people on food stamps are going to spend most of their stamps on cake and ice cream? I doubt it.

Ben Franklin pointed out that people should be made uncomfortable in their poverty, otherwise they will never leave it. It's paraphrased, but that's the essence of it.

To that end, we should take the beggar donation model. You don't give them cash, you give them the essentials. I've had to go down to religious charities to help when I was in a bad patch. They didn't give me money. No, they gave me groceries. I was incredibly thankful for them too. They gave me better food it turned out than I would have bought for myself. Not in that it was all ultra healthy, but it was all stuff I needed but would never buy for myself, but when given to me, I was glad for it.

Yeah, it's often at sell by dates, but who cares? When you are in need, REALLY in need, you make do. What I found offensive? was the amount of donated sweets by supermarket bakery departments. I understand why. They couldn't sell them and best to do someone some good. But there was so MUCH of it to be had!

Sadly, I probably ate better at that period of my life when on assistance than I did when I was working. That's why those groups like Second Harvest and the Salvation Army get my charity.

If the government wants to do food stamps, THIS is the model they should adopt. Their money in the hands of these groups giving out groceries could only do more good and get their fat stinky administration out of it other than to support these organizations doing a ton of good works and cutting out the whole issue of soda, smokes and booze. You support what works, not try to re-invent the wheel... only better... when you are incompetent.

It just isn't there. Buy that with your own money, but if you can afford that, you very well aren't going to make the income requirements.

Last edited:

In MY opinion.

If someone buys $300 of regular groceries, and wants to buy a cake, then so be it. You think most people on food stamps are going to spend most of their stamps on cake and ice cream? I doubt it.

No, but what i DO see is that many seem to have enough disposable income that is spent on beer, alcohol, cigarettes, cell phones, and bling.

I have no problem with them buying box cake mix and baking one for themselves.

In MY opinion.

Food stamps should be used for NEED.

Food stamps should not be used for WANT.

People NEED fruits and vegetables.

People WANT cake and ice cream.

One can by their cake and ice cream with cash.

In MY opinion.

No, but what i DO see is that many seem to have enough disposable income that is spent on beer, alcohol, cigarettes, cell phones, and bling.

You mean a few.
I know many people who have received food stamps, and most were not living the high life. You guys want to punish many, for what a few do.

You mean a few.
I know many people who have received food stamps, and most were not living the high life. You guys want to punish many, for what a few do.

If the majority don't buy those things, then why is it a punishment for them?

You mean a few.

What is the punishment?? There's something to be said for the old adage "beggars can't be choosers".

Forum List

Back