The Folly of "Aerobic Exercise"

In 1975, coming off of a heart "scare" (mis-diagnosed heart ailment), it was suggested to me that I read the book, "Aerobics," by Dr. Kenneth Cooper.

The book convincingly made the case that a simple regimen of three 20-minute "aerobic" workouts a week (basically, a 20-minute run, or similar exertion) would promote good overall health in a hundred different ways. I swallowed it, hook, line, and sinker.

I ran an average of about 10 miles a week for the next 35 years. After initially losing a bit of weight, I found that running didn't do much for my weight at all, but I concluded that at least it kept me from gaining weight, since my siblings are all obese. Maybe so. It seemed to be controlling my blood pressure and giving me a remarkably low resting heart rate, and after a few years I began actually to enjoy running. I looked forward to my runs (basically every other day, with a longer run on the weekend). Occasionally, I would train for a long event like a 10 mile run or a 20k "race," but this was not an enjoyable aspect to my routine, so I only did it once every couple years.

In the early 80's, I concluded that running by itself was not doing enough for my whole body, so I added stretching and weigh lifting to my routine, sometimes before a run, and sometimes on separate days.

As time went on, I accumulated the usual pile of mild injuries and chronic soreness, in my feet, ankles, knees, and hips. In 2010, I had a series of unrelated minor operations, each one of which kept me from running, so I had to look into something else to try to maintain the health of my heart and lungs. Long story short, I began doing "interval training" on a stationary bike. I did (and I continue to do) six 90-second intervals of progressive intensity, separated by one minute rest periods. (This routine was developed by a Dr. Barry Sears - you can look it up).

And I discovered that I was getting a better, healthier, less destructive workout in that 15 minute workout than I was previously getting with a 45 minute run. And with NO pain in any of my joints.

The more I read about running, the more convinced I am that the typical "aerobic" run - 20 minutes on level ground with your heart at 70% of its theoretical maximum rate - is basically a waste of time.

In fact, no professional trainers in any sport recommend distance running as a way of getting or staying in shape. Hell, even DISTANCE RUNNING coaches focus on interval training for best results!

While spending significantly less time at it now than I ever did during those 35 years of running, my conditioning level is at least as good as it ever was. I occasionally run a couple miles just for the fun of it, and I have no difficulty with it at all. The intervals on the stationary bike are keeping me in good shape.

Carry on. Don't waste your time running or doing other "aerobic" exercises. They are a fraud. Do intervals.
I gave up running after I read about Jim Fixx's death...not that I ever ran as much as he did.

On July 20, 1984, Fixx died at age 52 of a fulminant heart attack, after his daily run on Vermont Route 15 in Hardwick.[1] The autopsy revealed that atherosclerosis had blocked one coronary artery 95%, a second 85%, and a third 70%.[4] Still, medical opinion continued to uphold the link between exercise and longevity.[5] In 1986 exercise physiologistKenneth Cooper published an inventory of the risk factors that might have contributed to Fixx's death.[6] Granted access to his medical records and autopsy, and after interviewing his friends and family, Cooper concluded that Fixx was genetically predisposed (his father had a heart attack at 35 and died of another at 43, and Fixx himself had a congenitally enlarged heart), and had several lifestyle issues. Fixx was a heavy smoker prior to beginning running at age 36, he had a stressful occupation, he had undergone a second divorce, and his weight before he took up running had ballooned to 220 pounds (100 kg).[7]

I stick to walking and jogging on my treadmill, push ups, pull ups, chin ups, and yoga. Works great.

Why the fuck would you want to lose weight?

I can understand if you are morbidly obese, A very small percentage of people fall into that category. But generally it is a hell of lot healthier to GAIN weight rather than lose weight.

Why can most 210 pound dudes beat the shit out of 109 pound dudes?

THINK!

Most people who are not obese but still want to lose weight are focused on either pushing the limits of their athletic potential or sculpting their physique. These goals can still be possessed by those who workout with intent to gain weight, as is often the case with ectomorphs.

I ran a 1:59 half-marathon yesterday. I was pleased. Breaking 2 hours is an achievement for us amateurs, and it was on a hilly course.

Of course, there is such a thing as too much. The heart is a muscle. You can overwork it. If my heart gets a bit sore -- like it is now -- I take it easy for a while. Though I can understand why some people run themselves to death, as I'm having these thoughts that I'm being a lazy slob now, and I should be out racking up the miles.

In 1975, coming off of a heart "scare" (mis-diagnosed heart ailment), it was suggested to me that I read the book, "Aerobics," by Dr. Kenneth Cooper.

The book convincingly made the case that a simple regimen of three 20-minute "aerobic" workouts a week (basically, a 20-minute run, or similar exertion) would promote good overall health in a hundred different ways. I swallowed it, hook, line, and sinker.

I ran an average of about 10 miles a week for the next 35 years. After initially losing a bit of weight, I found that running didn't do much for my weight at all, but I concluded that at least it kept me from gaining weight, since my siblings are all obese. Maybe so. It seemed to be controlling my blood pressure and giving me a remarkably low resting heart rate, and after a few years I began actually to enjoy running. I looked forward to my runs (basically every other day, with a longer run on the weekend). Occasionally, I would train for a long event like a 10 mile run or a 20k "race," but this was not an enjoyable aspect to my routine, so I only did it once every couple years.

In the early 80's, I concluded that running by itself was not doing enough for my whole body, so I added stretching and weigh lifting to my routine, sometimes before a run, and sometimes on separate days.

As time went on, I accumulated the usual pile of mild injuries and chronic soreness, in my feet, ankles, knees, and hips. In 2010, I had a series of unrelated minor operations, each one of which kept me from running, so I had to look into something else to try to maintain the health of my heart and lungs. Long story short, I began doing "interval training" on a stationary bike. I did (and I continue to do) six 90-second intervals of progressive intensity, separated by one minute rest periods. (This routine was developed by a Dr. Barry Sears - you can look it up).

And I discovered that I was getting a better, healthier, less destructive workout in that 15 minute workout than I was previously getting with a 45 minute run. And with NO pain in any of my joints.

The more I read about running, the more convinced I am that the typical "aerobic" run - 20 minutes on level ground with your heart at 70% of its theoretical maximum rate - is basically a waste of time.

In fact, no professional trainers in any sport recommend distance running as a way of getting or staying in shape. Hell, even DISTANCE RUNNING coaches focus on interval training for best results!

While spending significantly less time at it now than I ever did during those 35 years of running, my conditioning level is at least as good as it ever was. I occasionally run a couple miles just for the fun of it, and I have no difficulty with it at all. The intervals on the stationary bike are keeping me in good shape.

Carry on. Don't waste your time running or doing other "aerobic" exercises. They are a fraud. Do intervals.
I gave up running after I read about Jim Fixx's death...not that I ever ran as much as he did.

On July 20, 1984, Fixx died at age 52 of a fulminant heart attack, after his daily run on Vermont Route 15 in Hardwick.[1] The autopsy revealed that atherosclerosis had blocked one coronary artery 95%, a second 85%, and a third 70%.[4] Still, medical opinion continued to uphold the link between exercise and longevity.[5] In 1986 exercise physiologistKenneth Cooper published an inventory of the risk factors that might have contributed to Fixx's death.[6] Granted access to his medical records and autopsy, and after interviewing his friends and family, Cooper concluded that Fixx was genetically predisposed (his father had a heart attack at 35 and died of another at 43, and Fixx himself had a congenitally enlarged heart), and had several lifestyle issues. Fixx was a heavy smoker prior to beginning running at age 36, he had a stressful occupation, he had undergone a second divorce, and his weight before he took up running had ballooned to 220 pounds (100 kg).[7]

I stick to walking and jogging on my treadmill, push ups, pull ups, chin ups, and yoga. Works great.
Fixx as your post describes had a bunch of issues before he started running. If you are already blocked up, the stress that distance running puts on your heart is very risky for sure. Like I said lots of ways to keep fit your routine looks like a good one.

I ran a 1:59 half-marathon yesterday. I was pleased. Breaking 2 hours is an achievement for us amateurs, and it was on a hilly course.

Of course, there is such a thing as too much. The heart is a muscle. You can overwork it. If my heart gets a bit sore -- like it is now -- I take it easy for a while. Though I can understand why some people run themselves to death, as I'm having these thoughts that I'm being a lazy slob now, and I should be out racking up the miles.
Nice job! Yes recovery is key, give yourself a few days, then nice and slow and short. Not sure what you mean by your 'heart is sore', that shouldn't happen. You may want to have your doctor check that.

Nice job! Yes recovery is key, give yourself a few days, then nice and slow and short. Not sure what you mean by your 'heart is sore', that shouldn't happen. You may want to have your doctor check that.

Yeah, chest pains? Not good.

Fixx as your post describes had a bunch of issues before he started running. If you are already blocked u the stress that distance running puts on your heart is very risky for sure. Like I said lots of ways to keep fit your routine looks like a good one.
Yeah he did before he started running, but he did long distance running for 16 years. If running is so great for you, those issues should have disappeared long before his heart exploded.

His autopsy indicated his heart was considerably enlarged. Some think you have only so many ticks in a heart and running 20 miles a day, you run out of ticks pretty fast.

Fixx as your post describes had a bunch of issues before he started running. If you are already blocked u the stress that distance running puts on your heart is very risky for sure. Like I said lots of ways to keep fit your routine looks like a good one.
Yeah he did before he started running, but he did long distance running for 16 years. If running is so great for you, those issues should have disappeared long before his heart exploded.

His autopsy indicated his heart was considerably enlarged. Some think you have only so many ticks in a heart and running 20 miles a day, you run out of ticks pretty fast.

http://well.blogs.nytimes.com/2014/03/12/what-running-can-do-for-the-heart/?_r=0

Over all, Dr. Taylor said, the study’s data suggests that if you’re training for a marathon or otherwise doing frequent and prolonged endurance exercise, you’re probably not hurting your heart and are likely strengthening it. But you should be aware of your past health habits and family history and monitor any symptoms, such as shortness of breath, that could be a sign of potential heart troubles.

Hearts are not like tires, the concept of x number of ticks is not supported in any research I've read. What is supported is that running CAN be very beneficial IF your heart is basically healthy. I didn't start distance running until I was in my 40s and resting HR went from 70 to 48. That means better efficiency as a blood pump and a muscle.

I like to do strength training and aerobic exercise. That can be really anything that is actively and continuously moving. Aerobics does in fact use "interval" training. There are all KINDS of aerobic exercise. If you have bad joints, water aerobics. Fast walking and not running. Running sucks anyway. Is there anything more miserable than running? I did it for a little while. Ugh. Sucky.

Never been a runner, given that I blew my left knee out when I was 15, and my breasts have always been too large to make it comfortable.

When I had gastric bypass surgery 9 years ago, I was advised to engage in regular, easy activity, such as walking or swimming, and to also do regular, not-too-strenuous weight training, particularly on my core muscles. The idea was to strengthen my cardiovascular system and to raise my metabolic rate, while keeping my muscles healthy and functional.

Our bodies are designed to be active. They do not do well with being idle for too long. Focusing on only aerobics or only weight training leaves one's health unbalanced.

I walk a lot just in the course of my daily life, and I try to make a point of working my muscles regularly, in the course of daily activities if possible. I have maintained the 120 lb weight loss I got from the surgery for nine years, and am much healthier than I ever was in my twenties.

I like to do strength training and aerobic exercise. That can be really anything that is actively and continuously moving. Aerobics does in fact use "interval" training. There are all KINDS of aerobic exercise. If you have bad joints, water aerobics. Fast walking and not running. Running sucks anyway. Is there anything more miserable than running? I did it for a little while. Ugh. Sucky.

Never been a runner, given that I blew my left knee out when I was 15, and my breasts have always been too large to make it comfortable.

When I had gastric bypass surgery 9 years ago, I was advised to engage in regular, easy activity, such as walking or swimming, and to also do regular, not-too-strenuous weight training, particularly on my core muscles. The idea was to strengthen my cardiovascular system and to raise my metabolic rate, while keeping my muscles healthy and functional.

Our bodies are designed to be active. They do not do well with being idle for too long. Focusing on only aerobics or only weight training leaves one's health unbalanced.

I walk a lot just in the course of my daily life, and I try to make a point of working my muscles regularly, in the course of daily activities if possible. I have maintained the 120 lb weight loss I got from the surgery for nine years, and am much healthier than I ever was in my twenties.

Oh yes, I walk and bike too, weather permitting. I do live in New England. Lol. I don't have a pool, so I don't swim very often.

Oh yes, I walk and bike too, weather permitting. I do live in New England. Lol. I don't have a pool, so I don't swim very often.

I live in Arizona, so it's swimming weather most of the year, but I get motion sickness in water. I walk a lot. Lots of really lovely hiking areas, if I want to do it just for fun. Dancing is also a fun way to stay active. I'm learning to belly dance, which was designed for strengthening core muscles.

I live in Arizona, so it's swimming weather most of the year, but I get motion sickness in water. I walk a lot. Lots of really lovely hiking areas, if I want to do it just for fun. Dancing is also a fun way to stay active. I'm learning to belly dance, which was designed for strengthening core muscles.

You like belly dancing? I like it too! :D I actually started a thread about it on here a while back in the music section.

You like belly dancing? I like it too! :D I actually started a thread about it on here a while back in the music section.

I'm a member of the Society for Creative Anachronism, and belly dancing is a very popular part of that.

I'm a member of the Society for Creative Anachronism, and belly dancing is a very popular part of that.

I just do it for fun and to help me stay in good shape.

http://well.blogs.nytimes.com/2014/03/12/what-running-can-do-for-the-heart/?_r=0

Over all, Dr. Taylor said, the study’s data suggests that if you’re training for a marathon or otherwise doing frequent and prolonged endurance exercise, you’re probably not hurting your heart and are likely strengthening it. But you should be aware of your past health habits and family history and monitor any symptoms, such as shortness of breath, that could be a sign of potential heart troubles.
Stop jogging and eat bacon...exercise in short intense bursts to improve fitness...so says this guy.

Eat bacon, don't jog and NEVER eat fruit

Stop jogging and eat bacon...exercise in short intense bursts to improve fitness...so says this guy.

This is a good reason why you never listen to internet dorks. :D

I tend to think he is correct.

I have known many people who exercise a lot, but never lose weight. They consume too many carbs, which prevents weight lose.

Plus I really love bacon.

I tend to think he is correct.

I have known many people who exercise a lot, but never lose weight. They consume too many carbs, which prevents weight lose.

Plus I really love bacon.

:lol: I love bacon too. Moderation! Exercise is definitely the key though. :)

New Topics

Forum List

Back