The Folly of "Aerobic Exercise"

DGS49

Diamond Member
Apr 12, 2012
Pittsburgh
In 1975, coming off of a heart "scare" (mis-diagnosed heart ailment), it was suggested to me that I read the book, "Aerobics," by Dr. Kenneth Cooper.

The book convincingly made the case that a simple regimen of three 20-minute "aerobic" workouts a week (basically, a 20-minute run, or similar exertion) would promote good overall health in a hundred different ways. I swallowed it, hook, line, and sinker.

I ran an average of about 10 miles a week for the next 35 years. After initially losing a bit of weight, I found that running didn't do much for my weight at all, but I concluded that at least it kept me from gaining weight, since my siblings are all obese. Maybe so. It seemed to be controlling my blood pressure and giving me a remarkably low resting heart rate, and after a few years I began actually to enjoy running. I looked forward to my runs (basically every other day, with a longer run on the weekend). Occasionally, I would train for a long event like a 10 mile run or a 20k "race," but this was not an enjoyable aspect to my routine, so I only did it once every couple years.

In the early 80's, I concluded that running by itself was not doing enough for my whole body, so I added stretching and weigh lifting to my routine, sometimes before a run, and sometimes on separate days.

As time went on, I accumulated the usual pile of mild injuries and chronic soreness, in my feet, ankles, knees, and hips. In 2010, I had a series of unrelated minor operations, each one of which kept me from running, so I had to look into something else to try to maintain the health of my heart and lungs. Long story short, I began doing "interval training" on a stationary bike. I did (and I continue to do) six 90-second intervals of progressive intensity, separated by one minute rest periods. (This routine was developed by a Dr. Barry Sears - you can look it up).

And I discovered that I was getting a better, healthier, less destructive workout in that 15 minute workout than I was previously getting with a 45 minute run. And with NO pain in any of my joints.

The more I read about running, the more convinced I am that the typical "aerobic" run - 20 minutes on level ground with your heart at 70% of its theoretical maximum rate - is basically a waste of time.

In fact, no professional trainers in any sport recommend distance running as a way of getting or staying in shape. Hell, even DISTANCE RUNNING coaches focus on interval training for best results!

While spending significantly less time at it now than I ever did during those 35 years of running, my conditioning level is at least as good as it ever was. I occasionally run a couple miles just for the fun of it, and I have no difficulty with it at all. The intervals on the stationary bike are keeping me in good shape.

Carry on. Don't waste your time running or doing other "aerobic" exercises. They are a fraud. Do intervals.

People exercise for many different reasons. Running can be tough on the joints, however, if you your joints are not already damaged and you are not greatly overweight, running up to 25 miles per week should not do any harm for most people. If you start running over 25 miles per week, the damage to joints tends to happen much more frequently.

I quit smoking a couple of years ago and started running and working out. I do short runs, long runs, intervals, and I lift weights. I run about 20 miles per week. On long runs, I usually push myself to 75 to 80 percent. On shorter runs, usually a 5K, I push myself to around 90% of max. During the winter, I spend quite a bit of time on the ARC trainer doing programmed intervals. The ARC is a bit like the elliptical, but it's a beast in comparison. Many people are afraid to try it because they don't understand it. Just like an elliptical, you pretty much control the amount of exertion you put into a workout. I love the thing because in a 20 minute session, I can burn 300 calories.

As for interval training overall, it is a great form of exercise, and you will get more out of it than just running a slow pace for five miles. I see a lot of people at the gym on either the elliptical or the treadmill going as slow as anyone can possibly go. They'll read a book and won't even break a sweat. While they're not completely wasting their time, they are missing the point of working out. The idea is to actually exert yourself.

This one was Uncle Ferd's idea `cause o' the babe inna photo...

Scientists find roadmap that may lead to 'exercise pill'
Oct. 5, 2015 - New study reveals more than 1000 molecular changes that exercises causes on the body.
New research reveals more than 1000 molecular changes in the body that happen during exercise, which researchers at the University of Sydney believe could help lead to an "exercise pill." Scientists said the research provides a roadmap of the complex, cascading series of reactions to exercise in human muscles. While previous work has shown a small number of changes in the body, researchers said this is the first time they have deciphered so much of the process. "Exercise is the most powerful therapy for many human diseases, including type 2 diabetes, cardiovascular disease and neurological disorders," said Dr. David James, a professor at the University of Sydney, in a press release. "However, for many people, exercise isn't a viable treatment option. This means it is essential we find ways of developing drugs that mimic the benefits of exercise."

Scientists-find-roadmap-that-may-lead-to-exercise-pill.jpg

Understanding how exercise effects the body may help to develop a pill that mimics those effects for people who can't engage in intense physical activity.​

The researchers worked with 4 untrained men, asking them to engage in 10 minutes of high intensity exercise and took biopsies from skeletal muscle. The biopsies were analyzed using mass spectrometry to study a process called protein phosphorylation.

Using mathematical- and engineering-based analysis of the biopsy results, which revealed more than 1000 changes to muscle after intense exercise, the researchers began to narrow down therapeutic possibilities to aim a drug treatment at. "While scientists have long suspected that exercise causes a complicated series of changes to human muscle, this is the first time we have been able to map exactly what happens," said Dr. Nolan Hoffman, a researcher at the University of Sydney. "This is a major breakthrough, as it allows scientists to use this information to design a drug that mimics the true beneficial changes caused by exercise." The study is published in Cell Metabolism.

Scientists find roadmap that may lead to 'exercise pill'

I like to do strength training and aerobic exercise. That can be really anything that is actively and continuously moving. Aerobics does in fact use "interval" training. There are all KINDS of aerobic exercise. If you have bad joints, water aerobics. Fast walking and not running. Running sucks anyway. Is there anything more miserable than running? I did it for a little while. Ugh. Sucky.

In 1975, coming off of a heart "scare" (mis-diagnosed heart ailment), it was suggested to me that I read the book, "Aerobics," by Dr. Kenneth Cooper.

The book convincingly made the case that a simple regimen of three 20-minute "aerobic" workouts a week (basically, a 20-minute run, or similar exertion) would promote good overall health in a hundred different ways. I swallowed it, hook, line, and sinker.

I ran an average of about 10 miles a week for the next 35 years. After initially losing a bit of weight, I found that running didn't do much for my weight at all, but I concluded that at least it kept me from gaining weight, since my siblings are all obese. Maybe so. It seemed to be controlling my blood pressure and giving me a remarkably low resting heart rate, and after a few years I began actually to enjoy running. I looked forward to my runs (basically every other day, with a longer run on the weekend). Occasionally, I would train for a long event like a 10 mile run or a 20k "race," but this was not an enjoyable aspect to my routine, so I only did it once every couple years.

In the early 80's, I concluded that running by itself was not doing enough for my whole body, so I added stretching and weigh lifting to my routine, sometimes before a run, and sometimes on separate days.

As time went on, I accumulated the usual pile of mild injuries and chronic soreness, in my feet, ankles, knees, and hips. In 2010, I had a series of unrelated minor operations, each one of which kept me from running, so I had to look into something else to try to maintain the health of my heart and lungs. Long story short, I began doing "interval training" on a stationary bike. I did (and I continue to do) six 90-second intervals of progressive intensity, separated by one minute rest periods. (This routine was developed by a Dr. Barry Sears - you can look it up).

And I discovered that I was getting a better, healthier, less destructive workout in that 15 minute workout than I was previously getting with a 45 minute run. And with NO pain in any of my joints.

The more I read about running, the more convinced I am that the typical "aerobic" run - 20 minutes on level ground with your heart at 70% of its theoretical maximum rate - is basically a waste of time.

In fact, no professional trainers in any sport recommend distance running as a way of getting or staying in shape. Hell, even DISTANCE RUNNING coaches focus on interval training for best results!

While spending significantly less time at it now than I ever did during those 35 years of running, my conditioning level is at least as good as it ever was. I occasionally run a couple miles just for the fun of it, and I have no difficulty with it at all. The intervals on the stationary bike are keeping me in good shape.

Carry on. Don't waste your time running or doing other "aerobic" exercises. They are a fraud. Do intervals.

Primates aren't adapted to run. We can but only in the same sense a gorilla can walk upright.

I ran an average of about 10 miles a week for the next 35 years.
Jesus, you musta ended up in China!

Sorry, old joke. I used to run too but realized my joints were taking a pounding. Our bodies weren't built for that. I think walking, free weights and a weight stack machine is the best bet for longevity.

Primates aren't adapted to run. We can but only in the same sense a gorilla can walk upright.

There is no better way to lose a lot of weight fast though. It's horrible though. :lol: Next time you see people running, just look at their faces. :p

Exercise for weight loss: Calories burned in 1 hour - Mayo Clinic

"Being active is an important part of any weight-loss or weight-maintenance program. When you're active, your body uses more energy (calories). And when you burn more calories than you consume, you lose weight.

Because 3,500 calories equals about 1 pound (0.45 kilogram) of fat, you need to burn 3,500 calories more than you take in to lose 1 pound. So if you cut 500 calories from your diet each day, you'd lose about 1 pound a week (500 calories x 7 days = 3,500 calories). There are other factors that can influence this equation. Because of changes that occur in the body over time, calories may need to be decreased further to continue weight loss."

Good info at that link.

10 Exercises That Burn More Calories than Running

11 pages ya gotta click through but definitely on-topic. :)

"Being active is an important part of any weight-loss or weight-maintenance program. When you're active, your body uses more energy (calories). And when you burn more calories than you consume, you lose weight.

Because 3,500 calories equals about 1 pound (0.45 kilogram) of fat, you need to burn 3,500 calories more than you take in to lose 1 pound. So if you cut 500 calories from your diet each day, you'd lose about 1 pound a week (500 calories x 7 days = 3,500 calories). There are other factors that can influence this equation. Because of changes that occur in the body over time, calories may need to be decreased further to continue weight loss."

Good info at that link.

I don't know though. I've seen people drop an enormous amount of weight after they started a running program. Anyway, if you can and if you enjoy running, then you should run and if you don't, you should find an alternative.

You had a heart scare in 1975 and then ran for 35 years?. That makes you at least 75 years old by now, and in good health. Considering that mortality statistics have the average guy dead at 74, you are doing pretty good. Are you glad you ran all those years?

Actually the best way to stay/ get fit and lower your body fat percentage is to

-raise your metabolism when you first wake up by consuming a large breakfast and eating frequent smaller healthy meals throughout the day, especially after working out

-increasing your knowledge about about calories, protein, fat, carbs... and implementing that knowledge

-healthy lifestyle choices

-drink lots of water, cut down on sugar intake

-interval training (anaerobic exercise) with weights and incorporating plenty of compound exercises (squats, incline, bench press, etc) using challenging weight/ resistance

-running sprints (also anaerobic) with brief periods of rest in between instead of jogging and distance running

-mixing up your exercise routine every few months or so

-get plenty of rest and allow your body to recover by working out different parts of your body on different days- for example alternating between upper body and lower body every other day- and also by consuming enough protein

And most of all...

Learn to love working out

Actually the best way to stay/ get fit and lower your body fat percentage is to

-raise your metabolism when you first wake up by consuming a large breakfast and eating frequent smaller healthy meals throughout the day, especially after working out

-increasing your knowledge about about calories, protein, fat, carbs... and implementing that knowledge

-healthy lifestyle choices

-drink lots of water, cut down on sugar intake

-interval training (anaerobic exercise) with weights and incorporating plenty of compound exercises (squats, incline, bench press, etc) using challenging weight/ resistance

-running sprints (also anaerobic) with brief periods of rest in between instead of jogging and distance running

-mixing up your exercise routine every few months or so

-get plenty of rest and allow your body to recover by working out different parts of your body on different days- for example alternating between upper body and lower body every other day- and also by consuming enough protein

And most of all...

Learn to love working out

Sex three times a day also works.

When I started at my current job, I carried Fire Extinguishers. ALOT of Fire extinguishers on a daily basis....for about six years. Going to a work area and collecting discharged ones...or partially full ones; and then replacing them with full fire extinguishers. It was a very frequent occurrence for about the first 5 or 6 years of my employment to carry numerous Fire Extinguishers a day, unless I was working a entry gate ( Gate one or Gate three ). I was scheduled initially - four days on and four days off, not including the many-many days I worked overtime.

Then on my monthly fire inspections....I would carry more and more = Up and down many stairs, or carried many yards ( walking about 50 to 100 yards at a time ) at a time...... sometimes making multiple trips / shuttling fire extinguishers.....by walking. People, in my belief just being malicious, as the department foreman most generally in my inspection area....did not call for a fire extinguisher to be replaced when it was discharged ( like they are supposed to ) - leaving one of my colleagues on the other three shifts a chance to replace it when they worked - or when I was off. Instead, when I had inspections......I carried many fire extinguishers, that should have been replaced previously. Our large Fire Extinguishers ( positioned on column lines and in cranes ) weight about 35 pounds, so pick two up ( one in each hand ) and carry them ( like I had to in our "Far plant north" ) about 50 - 60 yards at a time, as well as up and down many stairs....like the cranes.

It was very difficult and physically straining on my body....again as I believe, someone wanted to be mischievous and malicious towards me.....and/or, was for some reason - angered at me. It could be.....people were trying very desperately to get me to quit my job.

Shadow 355

People exercise for many different reasons. Running can be tough on the joints, however, if you your joints are not already damaged and you are not greatly overweight, running up to 25 miles per week should not do any harm for most people. If you start running over 25 miles per week, the damage to joints tends to happen much more frequently.

I quit smoking a couple of years ago and started running and working out. I do short runs, long runs, intervals, and I lift weights. I run about 20 miles per week. On long runs, I usually push myself to 75 to 80 percent. On shorter runs, usually a 5K, I push myself to around 90% of max. During the winter, I spend quite a bit of time on the ARC trainer doing programmed intervals. The ARC is a bit like the elliptical, but it's a beast in comparison. Many people are afraid to try it because they don't understand it. Just like an elliptical, you pretty much control the amount of exertion you put into a workout. I love the thing because in a 20 minute session, I can burn 300 calories.

As for interval training overall, it is a great form of exercise, and you will get more out of it than just running a slow pace for five miles. I see a lot of people at the gym on either the elliptical or the treadmill going as slow as anyone can possibly go. They'll read a book and won't even break a sweat. While they're not completely wasting their time, they are missing the point of working out. The idea is to actually exert yourself.

I love to run, if my energy has not been "Zapped" ; or for some reason I don't feel like I have drank a bottle of pure valium......and my muscles feel like jello. My body....flaccid, and without energy.

Shadow 355

No heart ailments - but I have come home from work quite a few times and suffered from mania and discoordination - from a hard days work....and probably being drugged at work - or near work from a business ( snuff - food - drink ).

One night I was mumbling to myself about a blonde haired nurse ( dark hair - husband is a truck driver - drove a white ford sedan to work ) I used to work with.

I had bad vertigo one evening, and knocked over my television set while I was walking, braking it and had to buy another one.

From being drugged - my food, tobacco and drink : druggged since I worked in EMS at a metro area.

People arriving where I work now, working "The Gate" when I am supposed to on Grave shift or the weekend ( only the easiest times ). One person does it, then he quits. Another person show up at my work place.... and he does it. Are the two guys connected? I'll bet so.

Shadow 355

Last edited:
As you might guess I'm a distance runner, but I recognize there are many ways to stay fit. In the last few years I've added interval training and hill running which I believe has made me a stronger runner and kept me from joint injury, even though I'm past 50. My cycling buddies are much leaner than I am, but they ride for hours at a time where my typical long run is between 60 and 90 minutes. I also had a buddy who went into Crossfit a few years ago and was berating me into how "specialized" I was and how Crossfit was the way to go. Well, he ended up tearing up his shoulder and then his knee doing ridiculous exercises that only superfit Millennials should try. Running just feels natural to me, I've never been comfortable on a bike. A lot of runners I see have such poor form they definitely should be doing something not involving feet striking pavement. There's lot of ways to achieve fitness, to each his/her own.

Good info at that link.

Why the fuck would you want to lose weight?

I can understand if you are morbidly obese, A very small percentage of people fall into that category. But generally it is a hell of lot healthier to GAIN weight rather than lose weight.

Why can most 210 pound dudes beat the shit out of 109 pound dudes?

THINK!

Forum List

Back