The Folks That Feel Abandoned By GOP, yet see the DNC as Far Worse

Annie

Diamond Member
Nov 22, 2003
I've highlighted the areas where my opinions conflict with the administration. Comments?

http://www.dailypundit.com/newarchives/2005/03/an_immodest_pro.php#000754

An Immodest Proposal and Bill of Particulars
One of the strains I've seen running through much of the hysteria in comments that greeted my rather unassuming notion that those of us not happy with the Republican party might consider banding together and using our leverage to attempt to influence both parties - which would of necessity include negotiating with the Democratic party - is that I am various awful things for taking such a step merely over the Schiavo issue.

Of course, that reads my dissatisfaction with the Republicans entirely incorrectly. I'm not happy about the hypocrisy exibited by a supposedly small-government, individual liberty party in cheerfully reaching for the club of government to enforce a different outcome on the Schiavo issue, simply because they don't like the way the current law plays out. It is sadly laughable to watch these people try to claim that what they are doing is not precisely what they excoriate when the left does it to them.

But to construe my efforts as springing solely from Schiavo is to drastically underestimate the causes of my dissatisfaction with the Republicans and George W. Bush. Here are some others:

1. The massive entitlement bill pushed through congress by George W. Bush for prescription drugs.

2. The lard-laden education bill Bush and Ted Kennedy put together and pushed through congress.

3. The deadly combination of establishing huge new permanent expenditures while at the same time cutting taxes, thereby guaranteeing massive new debt for future taxpayers. Anybody who has ever run up significant personal credit card bills, and then tried to pay them off out of current income, knows what I mean.

4. Bush's support of renewing the assault weapons bill. Diehard Bush apologists say that Bush was just spouting politics, that he was actually opposed to the bill, but knew it would never pass - and so felt free to "support" it for political reasons. Well, which is it, then? He didn't support it, and is a public liar and hypocrite for sleazy political gain, or he does support it, in which case he's no friend of the Second Amendment? I vote for number two - as a religious man, he is not suppose to lie to the nation, and within his limits, I think he tries to live up to that.

5. Bush's administration has refused to move forward, in fact has impeded, one of the most effective steps he could take to protect American air traffic: Against the wishes of the pilots themselves, he has blocked any realistic effort to let those pilots bear arms in their cockpits.

6. Bush's idiotic refusal to profile suspect groups in airports and elsewhere has led to stupidities like strip-searching wheel-chair bound grannies, and does nothing to increase traveler safety. If anything, it puts all of us at greater risk.

7. For those who mentioned the horrors of the Clinton administration, to wit: the sale of pardons, they should also know that not only did the Bush administration cover up or prevent entirely an investigation of the vandalism and thefts committed by the Clintonistas on their departure from the White House, he within the past month also covered up the results of the investigation of Clinton's pardon fire sale.

8. Bush's apparent intentions to ram through congress immigration legislation that will, in effect, post facto legalize millions of illegal aliens, and permit the influx of millions more who will initally be "legal," but will morph into illegals as soon as their time limits are up: all apparently in search of votes and support from the huge businesses that depend on illegal immigrants, at the expense of jobs for legal immigrants and American citizens.

9. Bush's gross mismanagement of Fallujah in Iraq, that needlessly cost dozens of American lives, and for a time threatened the entire future of the Iraqi experiment in democracy.

10. The recently revealed first instincts of Bush's FEC to impose draconian measures per the CFR bill Bush signed after he said he did not support it. Bush's signing of that measure is, in my opinion, more than sufficient grounds for his impeachment.

11. Of course, the massive Republican hypocrisies of Schiavo.

There are many others, but these will do for starters. The Republicans are no longer the party of small, limited government, fiscal sanity, states and individual rights, and the Constitution. In their own way, they have become as bloated, hypocritical, invasive, and spendthrift as much of the worst the Democrats have to offer.

If you think there must be some alternative, I am with you, and I would like to find one. That means we have to create an interest group of moderates and libertarians who become crucial to the balance of power. If we hold the keys to the electability of candidates from the right and the left, then both sides must listen to us.

Am I suggesting the formation of a new party? No, not at the moment. But we do have tools available to us, most especially the Internet and blogs. Moveon.org, as much as I dislike its goals, has perfected these as a method of exerting enormous influence. It has, in effect, taken over the machinery of the Democratic party. What they did, we can do as well, and I am proposing that we do it.

If you have suggestions how best we can proceed, please outline them in the comments, or email me. Citizens' movements have a long and honorable history in this country, and it is easier than ever before to start one. Let's hear from you.

1. The massive entitlement bill pushed through congress by George W. Bush for prescription drugs. I believe that there should be FDA "grading" of drugs. If you want to buy drugs from mexico or canada w/o an FDA Grade, then go for it. It's your life you are gambling with. FDA Graded drugs would cost more though. Insurance companies might be tempted to force you into using inferior drugs. Needs more smoothing to be just right.

2. The lard-laden education bill Bush and Ted Kennedy put together and pushed through congress. I should not even get started on Education in this country. This should be a states issue with Federal "bonus" money awarded for good performance. We could likely do a whole thread on this.

3. The deadly combination of establishing huge new permanent expenditures while at the same time cutting taxes, thereby guaranteeing massive new debt for future taxpayers. Anybody who has ever run up significant personal credit card bills, and then tried to pay them off out of current income, knows what I mean.Totally concur since I am in that boat now. The only solution is additional revenue while also reducing spending. Flat Tax plus NST.

4. Bush's support of renewing the assault weapons bill. Diehard Bush apologists say that Bush was just spouting politics, that he was actually opposed to the bill, but knew it would never pass - and so felt free to "support" it for political reasons. Well, which is it, then? He didn't support it, and is a public liar and hypocrite for sleazy political gain, or he does support it, in which case he's no friend of the Second Amendment? I vote for number two - as a religious man, he is not suppose to lie to the nation, and within his limits, I think he tries to live up to that. The ban IMO should not be considered constitutional.

5. Bush's administration has refused to move forward, in fact has impeded, one of the most effective steps he could take to protect American air traffic: Against the wishes of the pilots themselves, he has blocked any realistic effort to let those pilots bear arms in their cockpits. All Aircrew should be trained and armed.

6. Bush's idiotic refusal to profile suspect groups in airports and elsewhere has led to stupidities like strip-searching wheel-chair bound grannies, and does nothing to increase traveler safety. If anything, it puts all of us at greater risk. Profiling is simply a tool. Like any tool it can either do the job it was designed for, or it can be misused. I believe evidence of misuse should be disciplined. I believe PC should be a crime in and of itself :cof: .

8. Bush's apparent intentions to ram through congress immigration legislation that will, in effect, post facto legalize millions of illegal aliens, and permit the influx of millions more who will initally be "legal," but will morph into illegals as soon as their time limits are up: all apparently in search of votes and support from the huge businesses that depend on illegal immigrants, at the expense of jobs for legal immigrants and American citizens. I partially agree. Our borders should be open, with every entry and exit documented. IF you come in to work, you should only be allowed to work if you establish residence and get on the path to citizenship. As to jobs Americans don't want.... IF you aint willing to pick cotton, flip burgers, swab the decks, etc. I aint paying unemployment.

9. Bush's gross mismanagement of Fallujah in Iraq, that needlessly cost dozens of American lives, and for a time threatened the entire future of the Iraqi experiment in democracy. I totally disagree. I would have flattened the city and left it a smoking ruin. The message to the terrorists would be, "thou shalt not......"

10. The recently revealed first instincts of Bush's FEC to impose draconian measures per the CFR bill Bush signed after he said he did not support it. Bush's signing of that measure is, in my opinion, more than sufficient grounds for his impeachment. How does signing a bill you may not agree with make it grounds for impeachment?

11. Of course, the massive Republican hypocrisies of Schiavo It may be hypocritical, but at least it is erring on the side of caution.

I agree with Bill Quick, whoever he is. We need to bring the troops home from Iraq and put them on the U.S./Mexico border, where they're needed to protect our country. The amnesty is INSANITY. We need to stop the crazy federal spending and legislation on things the federal government has no business with, like education. And I even agree re: GOP hypocrisy with the Schiavo case.

I think the only things I agree with Bush on are tort reform and the wrongness of gay marriage.

William Joyce said:
I agree with Bill Quick, whoever he is. We need to bring the troops home from Iraq and put them on the U.S./Mexico border, where they're needed to protect our country. The amnesty is INSANITY. We need to stop the crazy federal spending and legislation on things the federal government has no business with, like education. And I even agree re: GOP hypocrisy with the Schiavo case.

I think the only things I agree with Bush on are tort reform and the wrongness of gay marriage.

He said that where?

William Joyce said:
Points 9, 8 and 11, in order.

WJ, he has no desire to bring the troops home, at least until Iraq is stabalized.

William Joyce said:

I wonder if you could help me understand something, WJ. One of the principal objections to congressional intervention in the Schiavo case appears to be that Congress acted in a matter involving a single party (as in, a single person). This, critics say amounts to a "bill of attainder", which is expressly forbidden by the Constitution.

Yet, I heard a legal expert from Wall Street Weekly say that, in order for a congressional action to rise (or sink, if you like) to the level of a "bill of attainder", it must involve the meting out of punishment for a crime. Objections on these grounds are, then, erroneous at best.

Was he right, in your opinion?

I agree on a lot of this.

Not that it is a good excuse, but many of these things on this list are the way they are because he's reaching out/caving to the liberals. This is true with regards to number 2, 4, 6, 8, and 9.

Of course, as the title points out, many people (myself included) see the Democrats as far worse. Many of them want more money spent on education, want more types of guns banned, and want us to still be ultra-PC about terrorism so we don't insult Muslims.

The racial profiling stuff is really stupid. Searching random people (like the afforementioned granny in a wheelchair) is not keeping us safer. I mean, correct me if I'm wrong, but did grannies in wheelchairs crash planes into the WTC and the Pentagon?

I also have to agree about immigration. While it would be stupid to try to round up all illegals (certain businesses would be ruined and it would be a waste of resources), you have to draw the line somewhere and make it harder for people to just cross the border at will, especially in a post-9/11 world.

I suggest if you have major differences in what you believe and what a party does you can either 1)Stick it out in the party and fight for your ideals 2)Leave the party for a third party and encourage everyone who agrees with you to as well.

Just dont give up the fight. I think the first one is the easiest.

Forum List

Back