The flipside of the abortion debate

auditor0007

Gold Member
Oct 19, 2008
Toledo, OH
While most reasonable people would agree that abortion should probably be limited to a certain time frame, say the first tri-mester or no more than the first 16 to 20 weeks, the problem we run into is that there are those who will not settle for that, and will push for no abortion under any circumstances. The Dominican Republic has laws like these and the result is not always a good thing.

Girl at Center of Dominican Republic Abortion Debate Dies

A pregnant Dominican teenager with cancer whose case sparked worldwide controversy over the country’s strict abortion laws died last week.

Her case renewed a bitter debate that has long divided the country – whether an abortion should be allowed if the mother’s life is in danger.

The 16-year-old girl, Esperanza, was battling acute leukemia and ended up pregnant. She needed to undergo chemotherapy but was initially barred by the Dominican Constitution from undergoing treatment because it would have likely harmed the fetus. Her doctors wanted to treat her but feared legal repercussions if they went ahead with the procedure and she miscarried.

According to CNN, the girl died last Friday from complications related to the disease. Doctors began administering chemo 20 days after she was admitted to the hospital, when she was 13 weeks pregnant, but her body did not respond to the treatment, CNN says. She went into cardiac arrest and died.

Girl at Center of Dominican Republic Abortion Debate Dies | Fox News Latino

Because of a very bad law, not only did the fetus not make it, the mother also died. The good thing is that at least no abortion was performed.

I have had this conversation with a few Catholic blokes I know, and they don't care if the girl would die, the abortion should not be allowed, no matter what.

Not surprisingly, none of us get along.

While most reasonable people would agree that abortion should probably be limited to a certain time frame, say the first tri-mester or no more than the first 16 to 20 weeks, the problem we run into is that there are those who will not settle for that, and will push for no abortion under any circumstances. The Dominican Republic has laws like these and the result is not always a good thing.

A pregnant Dominican teenager with cancer whose case sparked worldwide controversy over the country’s strict abortion laws died last week.

Her case renewed a bitter debate that has long divided the country – whether an abortion should be allowed if the mother’s life is in danger.

The 16-year-old girl, Esperanza, was battling acute leukemia and ended up pregnant. She needed to undergo chemotherapy but was initially barred by the Dominican Constitution from undergoing treatment because it would have likely harmed the fetus. Her doctors wanted to treat her but feared legal repercussions if they went ahead with the procedure and she miscarried.

According to CNN, the girl died last Friday from complications related to the disease. Doctors began administering chemo 20 days after she was admitted to the hospital, when she was 13 weeks pregnant, but her body did not respond to the treatment, CNN says. She went into cardiac arrest and died.

Because of a very bad law, not only did the fetus not make it, the mother also died. The good thing is that at least no abortion was performed.

And by the same token there are some who will not settle for that because setting any limits whatsoever "robs a woman of her right to chose".

Flip side to your flip side. ;)

I have had this conversation with a few Catholic blokes I know, and they don't care if the girl would die, the abortion should not be allowed, no matter what.

So your friends are nutz.
Not worth mentioning as your friends' views never make the mainstream argument except in cases like this when someone is attempting to paint the opposition as crazies.

Not worth mentioning as your friends' views never make the mainstream argument except in cases like this when someone is attempting to paint the opposition as crazies.

I wasn't attempting anything, just stating a fact that there are many who support this type of thinking. I don't agree with allowing abortions past a reasonable time either, but there are those who say it shouldn't make a difference. I don't agree with them either, but in many cases their concern is that by giving an inch, they could lose the battle completely. It happened in the Dominican Republic, so who is to say it could not happen here?

I wasn't attempting anything, just stating a fact that there are many who support this type of thinking. I don't agree with allowing abortions past a reasonable time either, but there are those who say it shouldn't make a difference. I don't agree with them either, but in many cases their concern is that by giving an inch, they could lose the battle completely. It happened in the Dominican Republic, so who is to say it could not happen here?

I was referring to Noomi who is on record in support of abortion up to the moment of birth. Is THAT where we need to go in order to protect the precious right of a woman to chose? Especially when said woman has already proven a propensity to make bad choices?

I was referring to Noomi who is on record in support of abortion up to the moment of birth. Is THAT where we need to go in order to protect the precious right of a woman to chose? Especially when said woman has already proven a propensity to make bad choices?

But no one ever has an abortion the day before they give birth. But as I have said, if a woman wants a late term abortion, she should be encouraged, but not forced, to go full term.

Personally, I am against abortion past the first trimester, except in cases where the mother's life is at risk. Unfortunately for some there is just no compromise, and that is on both sides of the issue. That is why the debate will never end, because there are too many unwilling to compromise at all on the issue.

But no one ever has an abortion the day before they give birth. But as I have said, if a woman wants a late term abortion, she should be encouraged, but not forced, to go full term.

The thread in which we discussed this before was on a woman who carried a child to term minus a few days and then did the job herself.
Make it "okay" for people to be barbaric and they will.

I suppose the morning after pill if ok but anything after a few days or a week I believe is murder...

How would you like to be stabbed in the head or put into a blender??

Put the child up for adoption instead of murdering the child...

I know the bureaucracies of adopting a child are difficult, and they absolutely should be more lenient. I don't think a 35-year-old who was busted for pot when he was 19 makes that individual incapable of being a father.... I support private adoptions.

The thread in which we discussed this before was on a woman who carried a child to term minus a few days and then did the job herself.
Make it "okay" for people to be barbaric and they will.

I recall a story about a woman in Britain who had an abortion at 8 months - is this the story you refer to?

Forum List

Back