The Flash t.v. show, To kill or not to kill the bad guy episode...

2aguy

Diamond Member
Jul 19, 2014
So..this season of The Flash, television show they have been dealing with a super genius villain ...... The Flash has watched this villain murder at least a dozen people right in front of his eyes as he was helpless to prevent it......

The last episode, the Elongated Man (D.C.s Mr. Fantastic who can stretch and contort himself) plans on killing the villian before he can take any more lives..... and the Flash convinces him that heroes let people die rather than killing the villain.....

How does this make sense?

Spoiler:

The Elongated Man follows the Flash's belief system, has that change of heart..... and is promptly murdered by the evil genius...

Again, how does this make any sense?

So..this season of The Flash, television show they have been dealing with a super genius villain ...... The Flash has watched this villain murder at least a dozen people right in front of his eyes as he was helpless to prevent it......

The last episode, the Elongated Man (D.C.s Mr. Fantastic who can stretch and contort himself) plans on killing the villian before he can take any more lives..... and the Flash convinces him that heroes let people die rather than killing the villain.....

Spoiler:

The Elongated Man follows the Flash's belief system, has that change of heart..... and is promptly murdered by the evil genius...

Not killing is a fairly common theme among comic book heroes. It's one of the major characteristics of Batman, and a reason people were upset about the Ben Affleck Batman of Batman v Superman killing a bunch of criminals.

It "makes sense" if a person has a moral code which precludes the taking of another human life, except perhaps in self defense.

Have you been watching The Flash and only now realized that he doesn't kill? :p

Spoiler:

Not killing is a fairly common theme among comic book heroes. It's one of the major characteristics of Batman, and a reason people were upset about the Ben Affleck Batman of Batman v Superman killing a bunch of criminals.

It "makes sense" if a person has a moral code which precludes the taking of another human life, except perhaps in self defense.

No....I have watched the show since the beginning, and I am just commenting on this since this episode revolved around that particular stupid aspect of the Flash....

This particular villain has murdered at least a dozen people in front of the Flash.....and murdered the Elongated Man...after The Flash convinced him not to kill the evil genius...

The lesson is that it is better to let the villain murder innocent people, than that the hero save those same people...

Spoiler:

No....I have watched the show since the beginning, and I am just commenting on this since this episode revolved around that particular stupid aspect of the Flash....

This particular villain has murdered at least a dozen people in front of the Flash.....and murdered the Elongated Man...after The Flash convinced him not to kill the evil genius...

The lesson is that it is better to let the villain murder innocent people, than that the hero save those same people...

I don't agree with the rigid no killing stance a lot of comic book heroes have, but it's a very common one. It's much easier to have that sort of philosophy in a comic than IRL.

Spoiler:

I don't agree with the rigid no killing stance a lot of comic book heroes have, but it's a very common one. It's much easier to have that sort of philosophy in a comic than IRL.

I agree....just pointing out that the Flash is lucky he heals quickly because the mental gymnastics he has to go through to allow the villain to murder innocents are hard to watch...

Spoiler:

I agree....just pointing out that the Flash is lucky he heals quickly because the mental gymnastics he has to go through to allow the villain to murder innocents are hard to watch...

I gave up on The Flash (and the other CW comic shows) a while ago. It wasn't the no kill philosophy, though, it was the silly writing. Also, in the case of The Flash, it was the fact that the only reason he loses most fights is that he inexplicably stops. :p

Spoiler:

I gave up on The Flash (and the other CW comic shows) a while ago. It wasn't the no kill philosophy, though, it was the silly writing. Also, in the case of The Flash, it was the fact that the only reason he loses most fights is that he inexplicably stops. :p

It is also annoying when a regular human villain can escape in a car or on foot.....while the Flash can move so fast that he can move through walls....

Spoiler:

Probably because many comic books have historically been geared towards kids and super-prude America would have balked at something like the "good" guy killing humans.

This is why I love Deadpool because he just kills them...

Why try to save a Villian that will still want to kill you next week?

That's why I can't watch reruns of the Politically Correct Star Trek - The Next Generation.

Spoiler:

Once upon a time people admired good guys being better than the bad guys

Spoiler:

You mean like Gunsmoke where the good guy killed the bad guy at the end?

Spoiler:

Probably because many comic books have historically been geared towards kids and super-prude America would have balked at something like the "good" guy killing humans.

I don't think that's the restriction it once was. The idea may just be too entrenched to change in most major heroes, though.

Spoiler:

I think the point is that one can sometimes be a good guy even when killing. If a mass murderer is threatening to blow up a school full of children, let's say, killing that murderer to save the children's lives seems like a morally sound decision, especially if not killing him will almost certainly result in those children dying.

This theme has been gone over with Batman. Batman does not kill. It's one of his defining characteristics. However, because he doesn't kill, the villains he captures have the opportunity to get out and continue their crimes. In the case of the Joker, in particular, that means that many people end up dying horrible deaths. Batman knows this is the case, because it has happened over and over again. It is a difficult moral question, not so simple as good guys vs bad guys, even if it is in a comic book.

Forum List

Back