The Fiscal Cliff and Budget Negotiations

What do you want the federal government to do re the budget?

• Everybody should agree to Obama’s plan as it is.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • TThe most important thing is to get the economy moving.

Votes: 3 42.9%
  • We must protect social spending at all costs.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • The most important thing is reducing the national debt.

Votes: 2 28.6%
  • Let's just do the fiscal cliff thing.

Votes: 1 14.3%
  • Other and I'll explain in my post.

Votes: 1 14.3%

• Total voters
OK Ed, let's try a few examples. A bunch of people predicted four years ago that quadrupling the monetary base would cause hyperinflation within a year. I saw the TV ads shilling various exotic investments based on that premise. A group of ecocomists generally refered to as "New Keynesians" said that couldn't happen when demand was so weak, and predicted deflation rather than inflation. Prices fell. Which group was correct?

dear, a bunch of people will always accurately guess at what the future holds and be right!! I asked, who are the people, and you replied, a bunch of people. What does that tell you?

If we can believe this administration who is posting gains in the GDP, no we are not. Nevertheless, the growth is so anemic that it has had negligible effecton the misery index. See my previous post.

I don't know...housing is up, new construction is up, malls are packed...which strangely enough they seem to have always been since the whole recession started...

It's not entirely a nationwide thing yet but it's hard to say there aren't SOME things improving.

The economy is getting better. It's not where it should be but its improving.

Going over the Fiscal Cliff, however, and we go back into recession.

GDP in 2012 so far is lower than in 2011, which in turn was lower than in 2010. So how are we improving?

I dunno what we're going to end up with in terms of taxes and spending, but I'm guessing it will not be more favorable to the economy than it is now. Further, the Obama admin restrained the addition of many new regs until after the election; related costs for that are going to rise too. I'm not seeing any reasons to be optimistic for 2013.

Last edited:
In 2009 the incoming Chair of the Council of Economic Advisers, Christine Romer, computed that the minimum effective stimulus package would be at least $1.2 trillion. Larry Summers said that $800 billion was the maximum politically feasible and that Obama could always come back to Congress for a second round of stimulus if needed. Romer, et al predicted the stimulus would be enough to avoid a full blown depresion, but not enough to return the economy to health. Who had it right?

dear, Romer is most famous for her incorrect predictions. Need I say more???????????? See how liberalism will always make you look silly???

Washington Post: As she prepares to step down as President Obama's chief economist, Christina Romer said Friday that she wishes she could redo one of her first official acts for the president: last January's forecast that a big shot of federal spending would save millions of jobs and keep the unemployment rate under 8 percent.

The forecast was wrong. Many economists agree that Obama's stimulus package probably saved millions of jobs, but the recession was far worse than Romer predicted. Unemployment has soared and is stuck at 9.5 percent.

1, Samuelson discussed the liquidity trap in Keynesian theory which explained how normal monetary expansion was ineffective in a depression. A corollary is that in these circumstances neither interest rates nor inflation will result from monetary expansion. That's three predictions that turned out to be true in 2007--2012. Exactly the opposite was argued for inflation and interest rates by all the business pundits.

of course Samuelson goes down in economic history as the biggest horses ass ever. He predicted that soviet central planning would produce greater economic growth than capitalism. Further, common sense and Friedman always and forever held that price was a function both quantity and velocity.

2. Fifties and sixties vintage labor economics taught that some structural unemploment could result from workers not adapting to changes in requirements for job skills, but that generally this couldnot explain the absolute level of unemployment when all sectors showed rising unemployment. Only lack of effecive demand explained high levels of unemployment.

dear fifties and sixties was the liberal pre-Friedman Samuelson era so it was all 100% wrong. Now we know that supply equals demand so it is impossible to have " lack of effective demand".

When libturds communists like Samuelson say there is a lack of demand they mean there is a lack of welfare entitlements, nothing more and certainly nothing related to economic thinking.

I notice he didn't quote the links I posted to back up the numbers I used. Nor did he post any links of his own to support his rebuttal. :)

I thought I handled the issue by chastising you for using the Heritage Foundation as a credble source of economic analysis. They make Marxian economics look good by comparison. Find some reputable sources before you start demanding things. It also looks like you don't have enough confidence in your own ability to make economic arguments when you rely on authority. If you can only mindlessly repeat pablum and never make a case of your own, give it up. Argue with me on ideas, not sources.

Generally, I make my own economic arguments and I use references for statistical purposes. I suggest you do the same. For the record, the main sources I rely upon for statistics are the IRS SOI series, the Census, CBO and the JCT, Bureau of Economic Analysis, and the Federal Reserve Bank of St. Louis. If you are going to argue economics, you need to be familiar with these sources.

If I find an interesting study, like the recent one about declining life expectancy at age 65 for Americans with less than a high school education, of course I'll reference it.

You are welcome to provide your own sources as rebuttal to the Heritage Foundation master degreed and PhD economists and statisticians who come up with the data. So far I have found many who ignored Heritage Foundation figures and many who accuse them of being a rightwing propaganda machine--such people ignore tha many MANY times the Heritage Foundation has taken Republicans to the woodshed--but few have found any way to challenge the numbers the Heritage Foundation uses. Those who damn the Heritage Foundation generally equally damn CATO whiich is about as libertarian as it gets and who generally agree on the numbers used by Heritage Foudation.

But lets set that aside for now. We all are not going to agree on sources. Some continue to point to failures and triumphs of the past rather than state a clear, concise theory of what needs to happen. A few continue to try to derail the discussion into another blame game. Some express a rosy view that everything is just fine and dandy and/or is getting substantially better; others continue to view our circumstances with pessimism. And some want to nitpick the points of the OP while ignoring the purpose of citing them. One or two thnk we should just go over the fiscal cliff; others see that as the worst possible scenario.

So dragging the train back on the track . . . .

Congressional leaders held a news conference over the weekend and, without giving any specifics, stated they hoped to reach a deal by mid December. Again without giving any specifics, the Democrats suggested they might concede some tax increases in favor of eliminating some deductions and loopholes; Republicans suggested they might concede some deductions and loopholes if tax rates were not increased. In other commentary we hear things such as deep spending cuts that won't be kicked down the road to a point they never happen and entitlement reform such as raising the age of social security eligibility, etc.

Personally, I think the congressional leaders, since they provided no real information, were testing to see how their suggestions would be received out here where we live. How much political suicide would they be risking?

So let's tell them.

Raise taxes? Where?
Cut spending? Where?
Entitlement reform? How?

Okay, there has never been a President in the history of our country who thought raising taxes in a recession was a smart move, and that included President Obama four years ago. Why the change of heart now, I don't pretend to understand.

And there isn't an economist worth his/her salt who thinks all tax cuts or credits have equal weight in stimulating the economy. Those that free up venture capital and provide confidence in a reasonably permanent policy will encourage and stimulate economic growth but there is a point of diminishing returns. The initial economic spurt will gradually smooth out and eventually settle into a normally expanding economy again, but it will generally settle at a higher level than from the point that was started.

When you don't know what the policy and regulation is going to be; when the tax rates are going to cut excessively into an already razor thin profit margin, the smaller businesses simply pull in their horns and maintain the status quo. When faced with oppressive regulation as they see in Obamacare, they will downsize and otherwise do what they have to do to avoid the extra costs.

Raising the debt limit without any concessions in spending seems as much of a fools folly as defaulting on our debts. Raising taxes when that will only discourage private enterprise further also appears to be the wrong way to go.

Without a healthy economy, we don't have a prayer to start cutting into the deficits or debt. or have room to maneuver to repair any of the other problems.
Okay, there has never been a President in the history of our country who thought raising taxes in a recession was a smart move, and that included President Obama four years ago. Why the change of heart now, I don't pretend to understand.

This administration has a twisted root system in a press that takes a lazy nap afternoon to its willy-nilly spending that is damaging America. The press is just a pimp, hiding the STDs of enemy desires and presenting an uninformed public with Obama's lipstick-on-a-pig economy barreling downhill like a half-mile-wide meteor headed for the US Treasury. By the time it gets here, all Obama's, Reid's, and Pelosi's armored cars will have left the Treasury without a red cent. It will all be in their friends' and loved ones' pockets through ruses like the Solyndra scandal that too was obfuscated by the convenience of having a corrupt press, paid off with cushy interviews in which the dialogue is controlled by the Clinton/Gore machine's globalist friends.

It's a spider's web to trap Obama's self-declared enemies, conservative Republican Americans, who are devoured by his sour sayings glamorized as fact by a boughten press.

It is a given that people and businesses working and paying taxes produce many times over the revenues that are possible by taxing more from a shrinking pool of people who earn enough money to be taxed. In fact, sensible economics have calculated that if you confiscated ALL the wealth let alone the income, of top 1%, that would run the government at best a very few weeks at the current rate of spending. We are acquiring deficits at a rate every single day now that in the past would have been considered huge in a whole year.

Doesn't it make more sense to cap spending, eliminate every single expenditure that does not HAVE to be spent at this time, and put into practice policy and a tax structure that encourages economic growth, greater business activity, and put people to work?

Last edited:
It is a given that people and businesses working and paying taxes produce many times over the revenues that are possible by taxing more from a shrinking pool of people who earn enough money to be taxed. In fact, sensible economics have calculated that if you confiscated ALL the wealth let alone the income, of top 1%, that would run the government at best a very few weeks at the current rate of spending. We are acquiring deficits at a rate every single day now that in the past would have been considered huge in a whole year.

Doesn't it make more sense to cap spending, eliminate every single expenditure that does not HAVE to be spent at this time, and put into practice policy and a tax structure that encourages economic growth, greater business activity, and put people to work?
A leader who cared would have the power to do that. First, he must care for ALL Americans. :cool:

Yes, and I think Mitt Romney was a leader like that. Unfortunately he didn't manage to stay on point on that single concept but let himself be drawn off message into areas where he wasn't as strong. I look at my prayer list of all the people I know who are needing jobs or needing better jobs and grieve that jobs were not made the central focus of this last campaign. It is obvious that our current fearless leader doesn't care about anybody other than those who might vote for him, and a large majority of those either have protected government jobs, union jobs, or don't want a job. The rest care more about government freebies than they care about a strong economy.

And I find myself discouraged because I don't kow what anybody can do as a defense against that.

Doesn't it make more sense to cap spending, eliminate every single expenditure that does not HAVE to be spent at this time,

yes exactly 100% true!! This is called zero based budgeting while Obozo uses base line budgeting which assumes all current spending programs will continue upwards based on COLA, inflation, population increase, union contracts and inherent increases. When Barry says he is saving money he means saving money off the baseline but this does not shrink the deficit and debt, it is merely moderating the rate of growth!!

The best approach to actually control the slippery scumbags is to
make them work within an absolute debt ceiling or cap as you say!!!

Doesn't it make more sense to cap spending, eliminate every single expenditure that does not HAVE to be spent at this time,

yes exactly 100% true!! This is called zero based budgeting while Obozo uses base line budgeting which assumes all current spending programs will continue upwards based on COLA, inflation, population increase, union contracts and inherent increases. When Barry says he is saving money he means saving money off the baseline but this does not shrink the deficit and debt, it is merely moderating the rate of growth!!

The best approach to actually control the slippery scumbags is to
make them work within an absolute debt ceiling or cap as you say!!!
I don't understand how his 2009 promise to try to bring the deficit down was made while there seems to be a disconnect between the promise and performance of spending continuing endlessly on.

He really needs to get back to his promise and keep it.

That's the only way to avoid the fiscal cliff.

What kind of a mess is he going to leave the next President to clean up?

Forum List

Back