The first Mustang coupe Ford built heads to auction

The Purge

Platinum Member
Aug 16, 2018
An original Ford Mustang billed as the first hard-top example is coming up for auction. It will go under the hammer at Barrett-Jackson's annual sale in Scottsdale, Arizona running January 12-20, 2019.

This is a 1965 Mustang coupe bearing a VIN ending in 00002, meaning it comes after the 1965 Mustang convertible with VIN ending in 00001 currently sitting in The Henry Ford Museum in Dearborn, Michigan.

Both of these were pre-production examples. (Note, the famous 1964½ model year was only unofficially applied after sales started to differentiate the earliest '65 Mustangs from later versions that received some updates.)

There’s always been a bit of controversy surrounding the identity of the earliest Mustangs, as Ford never kept precise production records and the earliest cars weren’t built in sequential order. This means no one really knows for sure which Mustang was actually the first off the line when production started in the early months of 1964.

That said, it’s safe to say that this Caspian Blue example is the first Mustang coupe, given its early VIN and numerous features that only pre-production Mustangs came with, such as the straight shift lever and prototype sheetmetal stampings and welds. Ford has also acknowledged that this is the first Mustang coupe. ..."

While we may never know which Mustang was actually the first to be built, we can say with confidence which was the first sold to the public. That’s the 1964½ Mustang convertible bought by Gail Wise on April 15, 1964—two days before sales officially started.

Read more at foxnews.com ...

1965-ford-mustang-bearing-vin-5f07u100002_100679329_l.jpg

message-editor%2F1542479237639-mustang3.jpg

message-editor%2F1542479205329-mustang1.jpg

It's difficult to imagine today how that pathetic little excuse for a sporty car took the country by storm. People went bat-shit crazy buying them, and fortunately they were selling stripped cars from day one (contrast with the Tesla Model 3, which now has minimum15 grand in "options"). Anyone who could scrape together two grand and change could buy the hottest car in the world.

Im 45 years old, so i grew up LOVING older muscle cars, but i have to say im not a big fan anymore. I cant fucking stand "stock" cars. They look terrible, drive terrible and start breaking down way to quickly.

If i was rich and won that car at an auction, to the horror of the Meecum crowd, i would immediately rip out its shitty old style interior right on the stage. Id yank its engine and put in a modern one, change its breaks, suspension and transmission (and lower it a bit too). Lastly i would smash those shitty old god damn rims with a sledge hammer and get some nice rims and tires on it. Only then is it ready for me to enjoy.

Im 45 years old, so i grew up LOVING older muscle cars, but i have to say im not a big fan anymore. I cant fucking stand "stock" cars. They look terrible, drive terrible and start breaking down way to quickly.

If i was rich and won that car at an auction, to the horror of the Meecum crowd, i would immediately rip out its shitty old style interior right on the stage. Id yank its engine and put in a modern one, change its breaks, suspension and transmission (and lower it a bit too). Lastly i would smash those shitty old god damn rims with a sledge hammer and get some nice rims and tires on it. Only then is it ready for me to enjoy.
Go nuts: Classic Recreations - Carroll Shelby GT500CR Classic Mustang Built by Classic Recreations ®

we had a 65'...and found out that wanting and having are two distinctly different things. Sold it for twice what we bought it for.....

The young woman across the street from us had an early Mustang. The engine mounts rusted and the engine fell out. Another woman (do you see a trend?) I knew was driving hers at night, through the rain on an empty highway when the windshield wipers stopped working.

More recently, another woman I know bought one, her first new car ever. She loved it even though when driving it, she couldn't resist speeding - two tickets in one day! But then her daughter was going to get married. She sold her beloved Mustang so she could afford to give her daughter a wedding.

Go nuts: Classic Recreations - Carroll Shelby GT500CR Classic Mustang Built by Classic Recreations ®
Those cars are fucking SICK! Thats exactly what i would do to an old mustang.

Ford let’s them use the license under some arrangement

What do you mean? They are just resto mod mustangs, right?

They’re allowed to use the same blueprints or whatever that Ford holds the rights to. I’m not sure exactly but I know someone that’s really into cars that was excited when it was announced.

Bah! Humbug, you say.

They’re allowed to use the same blueprints or whatever that Ford holds the rights to. I’m not sure exactly but I know someone that’s really into cars that was excited when it was announced.
Ohhh, maybe its a warranty issue. For example, if you take your car to a "Ford Performance" center, you can get a bunch of horse power without voiding your warranty, but if you go to Cobb or Mountune to soup up your car and something goes wrong with it, Ford will tell you youre out of luck. They dont want anyone except a Ford Certified mechanic tampering with the ECU.

Last edited:

Forum List

Back