The first amendment doesn’t care if muslims are offended

Discussion in 'Politics' started by P@triot, Oct 4, 2012.

1. P@triot

P@triot Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +8,785
    • Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  2. there4eyeM

there4eyeM unlicensed metaphysician

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,304
    Those seem like the kinds of SC decisions as they should be made, not like those allowing indiscriminate stopping of vehicles by police for other than obvious, visibly present infractions. Interfering with vote counting also seems beyond their rightful decision making power.

In my mind, is is extremely difficult to imagine a case for anything other than the most liberal interpretation and acceptance of the First Amendment. Speech should be as free as possible, not only as free as desirable.

3. buckeye45_73

buckeye45_73 Lakhota's my *****

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +6,146
    My question is why do liberals who HATE religion, always back up muslims, who treat women, gays, minorities like shit......I know why....but I find it interesting that noone ever asks them

4. BlindBoo

BlindBoo Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4,399
    Well here is what the President had to say:

"I know there are some who ask why we don’t just ban such a video. And the answer is enshrined in our laws: Our Constitution protects the right to practice free speech.

Here in the United States, countless publications provoke offense. Like me, the majority of Americans are Christian, and yet we do not ban blasphemy against our most sacred beliefs. As President of our country and Commander-in-Chief of our military, I accept that people are going to call me awful things every day -- (laughter) -- and I will always defend their right to do so.

Americans have fought and died around the globe to protect the right of all people to express their views, even views that we profoundly disagree with. We do not do so because we support hateful speech, but because our founders understood that without such protections, the capacity of each individual to express their own views and practice their own faith may be threatened. We do so because in a diverse society, efforts to restrict speech can quickly become a tool to silence critics and oppress minorities.

No one is excusing muslim violence.

5. BlindBoo

BlindBoo Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4,399
    Why do you keep claiming that without naming some liberal names who back up muslim extremist? Check out uber liberal Bill Maher on the subject of backing up muslims.......

6. g5000

g5000 Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +24,621
    Do you have any examples of someone saying Innocence of Muslims should be banned?

7. pinqy

pinqy Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,010
    The arrest of Nakoula Basseley Nakoula has nothing to do with the First Ammendment nor with the effects of the internet clips.

Nakoula is a convicted felon, on probation, who lied to Federal Authorities, used false names for identification, and other parole violations. He's not being charged with incitement to riot or anything else that has anything to do with the content of his film.

And one thing he has not yet been charged with is that he is not allowed internet access under the terms of his parole.

It can be claimed that he wouldn't have been arrested for violating his parole if his film hadn't had the reaction it had, but that's irrelevant...he's either guilty or not guilty of parole violations and it doesn't really matter why it was decided to pursue the charges.

8. Sunni Man

Sunni Man Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +12,444
    Please cite a time and place where we have done this?? :cool:

9. g5000

g5000 Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +24,621
    I have answered my own question, the OP has links to other web sites in which some people argue that Innocence of Muslims is not protected by free speech.

A couple of nuts even went so far as to say:

I am reminded of a passage in Democracy in America:

10. BlindBoo

BlindBoo Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4,399
    Japan 1941-1945.

Article 29 of the their constitution.