The Fine Print

rtwngAvngr

Jan 5, 2004
In the case of tv commercials which say one thing verbally, and then flash some fine print on the screen saying something totally opposite, why is not the verbal portion legally binding, but the printed portion IS apparently binding? That seems like b.s. Who said the spoken word was inferior to the printed word?

rtwngAvngr said:
In the case of tv commercials which say one thing verbally, and then flash some fine print on the screen saying something totally opposite, why is not the verbal portion legally binding, but the printed portion IS apparently binding? That seems like b.s. Who said the spoken word was inferior to the printed word?

Some deaf dude.:poke:

• Banned
dilloduck said:
Some deaf dude.:poke:

I wonder if the deaf have a more cynical view of the world, from relying on fine print over the bubbly cassanova tones of a maudlin, lying announcer?

I remember seeing a commercial for a Ford Explorer - it was driving thru the CLOUDS and SKY...Sure as shit, the small-print read: "Do not attempt".

lmao :)

• Banned
dmp said:
I remember seeing a commercial for a Ford Explorer - it was driving thru the CLOUDS and SKY...Sure as shit, the small-print read: "Do not attempt".

LOl.

or. "This is a professional driver on a closed course."

rtwngAvngr said:
Example?

Saw an auto dealer advertisment in the local paper. Blazed across the middle of the full page ad was,

If you find the same car cheaper, WE'LL BUY IT FOR YOU!**

Then at the bottom of the page in about size 2 font it said:

**Dealer reserves the right to purchase car from other dealer and sell it
to you for $500.00 less.

dmp said:

Yea my fav was that commercial for some SUV driving through the ocean with the kids looking at all the fishes, then it drives out onto the beach. It said something like "Fictionalization, Do not attempt" or some shit. I HATE that commercial.

Another stupid one was a commerical that just showed some car driving through the streets at slow speeds and it says "professional driver on a closed course", as if we can't even just drive a car down a fucking street??? Some of these legal statements just baffle me.

Unfortunately, we live in a country whose legal system will entertain virtually any lawsuit, no matter how baseless or stupid. Manufacturers are just trying their best to avoid the aggravation and expense, and this causes them to make some ridiculous statements. Like the "Caution: Contents very hot" warnings on coffee cups.

If more judges woud throw out these kinds of suits, and make the claimant pay all fees, they would start to diappear.

On Sears hairdryer: Do not use while sleeping.

On a bag of Fritos: You could be a winner! No purchase nesessary. Details inside.

On a bar of Dial soap: Directions: Use like regular soap.

On some Swanson frozen dinners: Serving suggestion: Defrost.

On a hotel provided shower cap in a box: Fits one head.

On Tesco's Tiramisu dessert (printed on bottom of the box) Do not turn upside down.

On Marks & Spencer Bread Pudding: Product will be hot after heating.

On packaging for a Rowenta iron: Do not iron clothes on body.

On Boot's Children's cough medicine: Do not drive car or operate machinery.

On Nytol sleep aid: Warning: may cause drowsiness.

On a Korean kitchen knife: Warning keep out of children.

On a string of Chinese-made Christmas lights: For indoor or outdoor use only.

On a Japanese food processor: Not to be used for the other use.

On Sainsbury's peanuts: Warning: contains nuts.

On an American Airlines packet of nuts: Instructions: open packet, eat nuts.

On a Swedish chainsaw: Do not attempt to stop chain with your hands or genitals.

On a childs superman costume: Wearing of this garment does not enable you to fly.

GotZoom said:
On Sears hairdryer: Do not use while sleeping.

On a bag of Fritos: You could be a winner! No purchase nesessary. Details inside.

On a bar of Dial soap: Directions: Use like regular soap.

On some Swanson frozen dinners: Serving suggestion: Defrost.

On a hotel provided shower cap in a box: Fits one head.

On Tesco's Tiramisu dessert (printed on bottom of the box) Do not turn upside down.

On Marks & Spencer Bread Pudding: Product will be hot after heating.

On packaging for a Rowenta iron: Do not iron clothes on body.

On Boot's Children's cough medicine: Do not drive car or operate machinery.

On Nytol sleep aid: Warning: may cause drowsiness.

On a Korean kitchen knife: Warning keep out of children.

On a string of Chinese-made Christmas lights: For indoor or outdoor use only.

On a Japanese food processor: Not to be used for the other use.

On Sainsbury's peanuts: Warning: contains nuts.

On an American Airlines packet of nuts: Instructions: open packet, eat nuts.

On a Swedish chainsaw: Do not attempt to stop chain with your hands or genitals.

On a childs superman costume: Wearing of this garment does not enable you to fly.

These are awesome!

Forum List

Back