The Final Days

Discussion in 'Reviews' started by Adam's Apple, Feb 1, 2008.

  1. Adam's Apple

    Adam's Apple Senior Member

    Apr 25, 2004
    Thanks Received:
    Trophy Points:
    If you have never read The Final Days, by Barbara Olson, a federal prosecutor who was killed in the deliberate crash of American Airlines Flight #77 into the Pentagon on 9/11/01, now would be a good time to do so. Her book had been written and was at the printer at the time of Olson’s death. Olson had been a prosecutor in the Department of Justice and had been involved in deposing Hillary Clinton in the various Clinton scandals.

    The Final Days catalogs the last days (a little over two months) of the Clinton Administration. Olson sheds a lot of light on this period, especially the winding up of the perjury/suborning of justice case against Bill Clinton; the multitude of last-minute executive orders that kept the Bush Administration occupied for months trying to determine if these should remain as U.S. law; a behind-the-scenes look at the infamous, mind-boggling pardons and how these developed; and the Clintons’ penchant for snubbing their noses at U.S. law/law enforcement.

    Since we have the Clintons on the threshold of occupying the White House again, voters should take another look at these two charlatans and consider if it’s in the best interests of the country to send them back to the White House. I can guarantee you that, after reading Olson’s book, you will feel nothing but dismay and disgust and a renewed sense of urgency to do what you can to keep these two from ever getting close to the White House again.
  2. eots

    eots no fly list

    Jan 6, 2007
    Thanks Received:
    Trophy Points:
    wow how convient..this guy died on 911 as well

    Trade Center

    According to Chris Isham, O'Neill recognized the threat still posed to the World Trade Center. "When he had first gotten the job at the World Trade Center, he told me, 'I've got this great job. I'm head of security at the World Trade Center.' And I joked with him and said, 'Well, that will be an easy job. They're not going to bomb that place again.' And he said, 'Well actually -- he immediately came back and he said, 'actually they've always wanted to finish that job. I think they're going to try again."

    Sept. 10, 2001

    On the eve of Sept. 11, O'Neill is with friends on the town. According to Jerry Hauer, O'Neill warns him that night: "We're due for something big." O'Neill explains, "I don't like the way things are lining up in Afghanistan." Still, O'Neill tells friends that he is happy about his new job. "[It] doesn't get better than this," he says.

    Sept. 11, 2001
    Two Hijacked Planes Hit World Trade Center Towers

    O'Neill is in his 34th floor office in the North Tower at 8:46 a.m. when American Airlines Flight 11 crashes into it. Among others, O'Neill calls Valerie James once he is outside the building. He asks her what hit the building and tells her, "Val, it's horrible. There are body parts everywhere." A few seconds later he tells her, "Okay, I'll call you in a little bit." O'Neill also sends a text message to Fran Townsend to report that he is okay.

    In the minutes after the attack, O'Neill makes his way to the command center that had been set up. There he sees FBI agent Wesley Wong. Wong would tell Esquire magazine later, "He was in FBI mode. Then he turned and kind of looked at me and went toward the interior of the complex. From the time John walked away to the time the building collapsed was certainly not more than a half hour or 20 minutes." Wong is the last person to see him alive.

    Sept. 28, 2001
    Memorial Service for O'Neill

    A week after his body is found in the debris of the South Tower, about a thousand mourners attend John O'Neill's service in Atlantic City. Barry Mawn, one of the speakers, tells the gathering that O'Neill didn't resign from the FBI because of the briefcase incident. Mawn says that he felt it was important to clear up some of the things people were saying about O'Neill's departure. "He didn't run from a fight. He didn't retire because this was a serious matter. He retired because circumstances were right and it was a good job," Mawn tells FRONTLINE.

    Following the service, John O'Neill is buried in the churchyard of St. Nicholas of Tolentine Church, the church where he once served as an altar boy.

Share This Page