The Fight Against the Health Care Takeover

Dear Luddy Neddite: NOT TRUE. I am a prochoice progressive Democrat, I am NOT a rightwinger. And I am opposed to this bill. I believe Democrats and voters who support it, should pay for it and be under its mandates VOLUNTARILY. And the Greens have the right to set up single payer and be under that. and teh GOP/RW have the right to set up independent health care through churches, schools and businesses and be under that. Each person/party should fund its own policies and programs, not impose one way on others.

i am NOT a RW or GOP or conservative saying this.

Yeah... I've sort of given up worrying about their dumb labels. To the statists on the left I'm 'hard-right wing'. To the statists on the right I'm a pacifist liberal hippie. Whatever. Keep 'em guessing I suppose.

I am a CONSTITUTIONALIST and I happen to be an extremely liberal prochoice Democrat. I am so prochoice, I defend prolife views and believe the GOP opposition has the right to pursue their own programs and fund those.

Please don't think for one second this is a RW thing.
it is a Constitutionalist issue, and the far left Greens, the libertarians, and the other independents against corporate benefits off govt are equally against this bill.

Well said. I still think that the best hope for freedom lies within the liberal movement - among those, such as yourself, who still value individual freedom and limited government. Unfortunately, both major parties are currently dominated by the opposite mindset.

Being able to pay less and get better coverage is helping a lot of people. And, as we've seen, it has actually saved lives - such as those with ongoing catastrophic expenses.

I save every month but since I'm a liberal, that's a bad thing.

It is amusing the way you keep throwing out stuff like this thinking it proves something.

Being able to pay less and get better coverage is helping a lot of people. And, as we've seen, it has actually saved lives - such as those with ongoing catastrophic expenses.

It is amusing the way you keep throwing out stuff like this thinking it proves something.

QW: LN has not explained where there are exemptions if someone shows "financial responsibility" the only exemptions I saw had strict religious guidelines which I found unconstitutional as govt regulating or discriminating based on religion. Can you please explain or get LN to explain what that message referred to? I will try to find it and add it.

Now that the dust of the election is settling, what can those of us opposed to PPACA do to fight it? Is de-funding a realistic approach? What are the various states up to in terms of resisting the federal ambitions?

...what can those of us opposed to PPACA do to fight it?

You’ll have to look at it in the very long-term, by electing enough members to Congress and a president who will vote to repeal, and sign that repeal into law.

Is de-funding a realistic approach?

No. See my first response above.

What are the various states up to in terms of resisting the federal ambitions?

With regard to the ACA?

Some republican governors are refusing to implement the state health insurance exchanges required by the Act, but that could prove politically problematic, particularly in a blue state like Florida with a relatively large low income working population, many of whom lacking health insurance.

And any effort to ‘get rid’ of the ACA should also include a plan to implement a National replacement to afford all Americans health insurance, as by the time the political configuration again occurs favorable to repeal – 2017 at the earliest – the full effect of the ACA will be in place for some three years and no voter is going to tolerate low income working Americans losing their health insurance and going backwards to the days when millions are without coverage.

As House Speaker John Boehner correctly noted after the Election: "Obamacare is the law of the land."

QW: LN has not explained where there are exemptions if someone shows "financial responsibility" the only exemptions I saw had strict religious guidelines which I found unconstitutional as govt regulating or discriminating based on religion. Can you please explain or get LN to explain what that message referred to? I will try to find it and add it.

Rest assured, this option is a FACT. Luddly deals only in facts, as it's his job to keep us all 'informed'. He wouldn't mislead us.

You really don't know anything about ObamaCare, do you. Ifi you did, you would know that you must buy your own health insurance unless you cannot afford it. You would also know that you don't have to buy health insurance even if you CAN afford it and have the option instead, of showing financial responsibility.

IOW, you must take financial responsibility for your own health care insurance. I can't imagine how you think the opposite is true but really, that is YOUR problem.

Dear Dblack and QW: here is the quote from LN about showing financial responsibility.

It seems this is limited to just showing you bought "insurance."

is there any way to explain to LN that the issue is not about "denying" financial responsibility but having freedom to show this responsibility "in other ways besides insurance."

For example, I use my income to pay for HOUSING and OTHER COSTS for other people; so I am not paying for their health care per se, but paying other costs while other people cover the health care other ways. But this does NOT count toward an exemption. Why not???

Some republican governors are refusing to implement the state health insurance exchanges required by the Act, but that could prove politically problematic, particularly in a blue state like Florida with a relatively large low income working population, many of whom lacking health insurance.

And any effort to ‘get rid’ of the ACA should also include a plan to implement a National replacement to afford all Americans health insurance, as by the time the political configuration again occurs favorable to repeal – 2017 at the earliest – the full effect of the ACA will be in place for some three years and no voter is going to tolerate low income working Americans losing their health insurance and going backwards to the days when millions are without coverage.

As House Speaker John Boehner correctly noted after the Election: "Obamacare is the law of the land."

No, the Constitution is.

The current health bill can be carried and funded by people who believe in it.
The opposing groups/states should have free and equal choice to fund other plans.
That is what is Constitutional.

Well said. I still think that the best hope for freedom lies within the liberal movement - among those, such as yourself, who still value individual freedom and limited government. Unfortunately, both major parties are currently dominated by the opposite mindset.

Thanks DB: Funny, I think the opposite and am depending on unifying the libertarian and GOP and Tea Party on the Constitution to stop the nonsense taking advantage of their divided vote.

I believe the liberal/Dems/Greens have a better chance of reaching across parties to open up dialogue on diversity, including political diversity, as teh Greens are ahead on that.
But as for sticking with Constitutional standards, the GOP and conservatives are best for that.

When I make Constitutional arguments with conservatives, they will accept and work with that. The liberals are generally too busy being relativistic, which is both the strength and weakness of that approach, to enforce a unified stance. the only unity I see there is based on winning elections by censoring their own constituents who dissent. I was told this goes on with the Republicans, where people have threatened to leave, even a prominent Hispanic leader, but you can see from the GOP response they are more willing to give. The Dems are so hungry for power, so if they don't stand on the Constitution to get it, they are standing on popular politics which is a weak foundation. Only the Constitution is all inclusive, not the pandering to just the larger populations voting for the wrong reasons.

The GOP has the advantage, but if they stay divided they lose it. I do believe the liberal Constitutionalist and Christians "reaching out" to the GOP to stop the division will be the key.
but the leadership will come from those conservatives, not the liberals backing them up.

it's funny we both see it from the other angle, you see the strength coming from the liberals and I see it coming from the conservatives who will not compromise Constitutional standards.

You really don't know anything about ObamaCare, do you. Ifi you did, you would know that you must buy your own health insurance unless you cannot afford it. You would also know that you don't have to buy health insurance even if you CAN afford it and have the option instead, of showing financial responsibility.

IOW, you must take financial responsibility for your own health care insurance. I can't imagine how you think the opposite is true but really, that is YOUR problem.

Dear Dblack and QW: here is the quote from LN about showing financial responsibility.

It seems this is limited to just showing you bought "insurance."

is there any way to explain to LN that the issue is not about "denying" financial responsibility but having freedom to show this responsibility "in other ways besides insurance."

For example, I use my income to pay for HOUSING and OTHER COSTS for other people; so I am not paying for their health care per se, but paying other costs while other people cover the health care other ways. But this does NOT count toward an exemption. Why not???

Because all the droning about 'responsibility' is just empty politicking. It has nothing at all to do with the intent of the bill. The purpose of PPACA is to force all of us into the corporate insurance solution. We (as represented by Congress) are doing this in exchange for promises from the insurance industry that it will accommodate increased access and lower premiums.

One problem with that (there are many) is that insurance isn't the only way to pay for health care. In fact, outside of hedging against catastrophic risk, it's a really bad way to finance health care. It's like paying for everything with a high-interest credit card instead of paying cash when you can. This is why people have been, increasingly, turning away from it - buying less insurance or doing without. Which is why the insurance industry is now turning to government to force us into their pens. It's a classic deal with the devil. Which side is 'the devil' is a matter of perspective.

Last edited:

This is why I've pretty much stopped reading most posts on this subject. And, its definitely why I will never again do research for anyone here.

All anyone can say is that ObamaCare is bad but if any evidence is posted about the benefits, as was posted concerning this, as we get are complaints about the source being liberal - even when its not.

I decided not to post links or do research for anyone here and that's the way its gonna stay. Any of you can make whatever you want of that but if you want info, you have the same access to the internet that I do. Use it.

OTOH, I did make a long list of things about ACA and I may still post that as a jumping off place for a real discussion.

But, I DO mean discussion. NOT, teacher is in, spoon feeding session. Sorry but I'm just up for it anymore.

(Note to Emily - you see like an intelligent person, not given to the usual childish name calling here. Check the Kaiser site for extremely detailed and factual info. That's the same site that was poo-poo'ed for being "liberal" so if you feel that way, you could look at any of the other gazillions of sites. Also, I have posted numerous links in previous threads.)

(Note to Emily - you see like an intelligent person, not given to the usual childish name calling here. Check the Kaiser site for extremely detailed and factual info. That's the same site that was poo-poo'ed for being "liberal" so if you feel that way, you could look at any of the other gazillions of sites. Also, I have posted numerous links in previous threads.)

Good luck on your hunt emily! Hopefully you'll have better luck than luddly did.

This is why I've pretty much stopped reading most posts on this subject. And, its definitely why I will never again do research for anyone here.

Thinking gives you a headache?

All anyone can say is that ObamaCare is bad but if any evidence is posted about the benefits, as was posted concerning this, as we get are complaints about the source being liberal - even when its not.

You didn't post any evidence, you made an unsubstantiated claim that costs will go down. To counter that claim I point to the fact that costs have gone up in Massachusetts ever since the same bill was passed, and that they are going since Obamacare was passed. Even PuffingtonHost is admitting the truth.

Walmart Health Care Premiums To Rise Up To 36 Percent For Employees

Post all the claims you want, I will keep pointing to reality.

I decided not to post links or do research for anyone here and that's the way its gonna stay. Any of you can make whatever you want of that but if you want info, you have the same access to the internet that I do. Use it.

Translation, posting links just makes you look stupid when other people use your links to debunk your lies.

OTOH, I did make a long list of things about ACA and I may still post that as a jumping off place for a real discussion.

Please do, then I will link to my posts that have already debunked all the talking points you have.

But, I DO mean discussion. NOT, teacher is in, spoon feeding session. Sorry but I'm just up for it anymore.

Hmmm

Definition of DISCUSSION

: consideration of a question in open and usually informal debate

: a formal treatment of a topic in speech or writing

See discussion defined for English-language learners »

See discussion defined for kids »

Examples of DISCUSSION

1. The class was involved in a heated discussion about politics.
  2. I hope to have a discussion with them about the matter soon.
  3. After much discussion of the plan, the idea was rejected entirely.
  4. During the period under discussion, the town grew in size.
  5. The smoking ban is a major topic of discussion these days.
  6. The article is an in-depth discussion of his theories.
  7. The first chapter includes a discussion of childcare issues.

You want to have a discussion, except you don't actually want to discuss anything, you want to lecture.

Kaiser is gong to make lots of money off of Obamacare, do you think they might have a reason to support it?

Now that the dust of the election is settling, what can those of us opposed to PPACA do to fight it? Is de-funding a realistic approach? What are the various states up to in terms of resisting the federal ambitions?

I just found out, the deciding judge on the Supreme Court didn't just let it pass.
He actually CHANGED text so the wording would make the insurance mandates a TAX.
That is not proper legal procedure or jurisdiction of the Court. The proper way would be to reject it, and it would have to go all the way through Congress again to rewrite it, since it passed not as a tax paid to govt but as requiring people to buy private insurance.

Are there any legal groups fighting this?
Of course, the supporters of the bill are not going to challenge the Court for amending the bill for them. It is clearly outside of judicial power to do that, from what I was told.

Can this be confirmed? And what judicial or govt watchdog groups are possibly fighting this legally?

Heck, if the bill can just be amended manually, without going through Congress, why not change opt out to opt in?

And require that the parties/supporters/leaders who signed off and agree to this bill, be under it and fund it. While those who believe in other constitutional means of covering one's health care are free to fund/support other systems besides insurance mandated by govt.

You just found out?

LOL!
Little slow, huh?

Sorry but Roberts didn't change the text of the law. You can look it up in the U.S. Code its exactly the same.

No, the Constitution is.

The opposing groups/states should have free and equal choice to fund other plans.

Sorry but the Constitution doesn't allow states to just pick what federal laws they wish to follow.

No, the Constitution is.

Sorry but the Constitution doesn't allow states to just pick what federal laws they wish to follow.

Strangely enough, the Supreme Court disagrees.

Sorry but Roberts didn't change the text of the law. You can look it up in the U.S. Code its exactly the same.

It's true. They called it one thing, the Supreme court interpreted as another. It's an awesome arrangement. Congress can claim that they didn't raise taxes - even though the Court recognizes the obvious fact that they did. Roberts essentially endorsed flat out lying on the part of our legislators. Accountability is strictly for suckers.

It's true. They called it one thing, the Supreme court interpreted as another. It's an awesome arrangement. Congress can claim that they didn't raise taxes - even though the Court recognizes the obvious fact that they did. Roberts essentially endorsed flat out lying on the part of our legislators. Accountability is strictly for suckers.

The power to tax does not place any restrictions on what a tax can be called you dummy.

Even the Republican candidate refers to the same penalty in his RomneyCare as a "penalty tax". But I guess words mean different things in mass, as well, right?

The power to tax does not place any restrictions on what a tax can be called you dummy.

Interesting. So they could call the tax a 'chair massage' if they wanted? And then Congress and the President could claim that their proposed legislation doesn't impose a tax increase, but instead gives us all free chair massages! Of course we'd all support such legislation, chair massages rock! But then, once the law is passed, we find out it was all just a hoax!.... no chair massages, just tax increases. Is that really the way you want government to work?

Interesting. So they could call the tax a 'chair massage' if they wanted? And then Congress and the President could claim that their proposed legislation doesn't impose a tax increase, but instead gives us all free chair massages! Of course we'd all support such legislation, chair massages rock! But then, once the law is passed, we find out it was all just a hoax!.... no chair massages, just tax increases. Is that really the way you want government to work?

Form over function.

Got it.

And liberals are supposed to be the artsy fartsy types.

Forum List

Back