The Federalist Society

ScreamingEagle

Gold Member
Jul 5, 2004
It appears the most horrible thing about John Roberts is that he belonged to the Federalist Society.

According to Molly Ivans the Federalist Society is "the ur-alpha-primo ultraconservative legal group in the whole country". She says it is a "radical right organization". According to her "the society has argued for the abolition of the Securities and Exchange Commission, severely limiting the Environmental Protection Agency, and rolling back gender equity laws (Title IX) and voting rights law. Its publications have criticized teaching evolution and attacked the principle of separation of church and state."

http://www.creators.com/opinion_show.cfm?columnsName=miv

Just what is the Federalist Society?

According to their own website it is an organization of 35,000 lawyers, law students, scholars, and other individuals who believe and trust that individual citizens can make the best choices for themselves and society. It was founded in 1982 by a group of law students interested in making sure that the principles of limited government embodied in our Constitution receive a fair hearing.

Membership is open to anybody. Everyone is welcome to the programs of our 180 law school chapters, 60 metropolitan lawyers chapters, and 15 nationwide practice groups. The several hundred events sponsored each year by the Federalist Society are publicly advertised and are open to the press and the general public. The Society has a strong reputation for hosting speakers on all sides of the ideological spectrum. A number of the Society's most frequent and prominent speakers - from the Left as well as the Right - attest to the fact that the Society has contributed a great deal to free speech, free debate, and the public understanding of the Constitution.

The Federalist Society for Law and Public Policy Studies is a group of conservatives and libertarians interested in the current state of the legal order. It is founded on the principles that the state exists to preserve freedom, that the separation of governmental powers is central to our Constitution, and that it is emphatically the province and duty of the judiciary to say what the law is, not what it should be.

Wow, that's "radical"! :laugh:

http://www.fed-soc.org/

William Joyce said:
I am assuming you mean yourself? Please tell me your views are not representative of most?

I wish. Most FedSoc'ers are pretty neocon. But who knows --- I only make mild noises about the issues I care about --- maybe I'm not alone.

Forum List

Back