The Federal War on Big Tobacco

Vel

Platinum Member
Oct 30, 2008
Tennessee
Hmm.. Seems to me that the government has left their own part in cigarette smoking out of their proposed ads. The first one should be amended to say..
"A federal court is requiring tobacco companies to tell the truth about cigarette smoking. Here's the truth: ... Smoking kills 1,200 Americans. Every day and your federal government took a profit on every pack sold."

Tobacco Companies Fire Back on U.S. Government's Proposed Ads
Published March 03, 2011
| Associated Press

RICHMOND, Va. -- The nation's largest cigarette manufacturers on Thursday said the Justice Department's proposed corrective statements about smoking's dangers are inflammatory and inaccurate and violate guidelines set by the court overseeing the lawsuit.
Last week, the Justice Department released 14 "corrective statements" that it says the companies should be required to make as part of the lawsuit. It wants the companies to admit that they lied to the public and would force the industry to pay for an advertising campaign of self-criticism.

The government's proposed statements cover the addictiveness of nicotine, the lack of health benefit from "low tar," "ultra-light" and "mild" cigarettes and negative health effects of second-hand smoke. The proposed statements are labeled "Paid for" by the name of the cigarette manufacturer "under order of a federal district court."

One of the government's statement says: "A federal court is requiring tobacco companies to tell the truth about cigarette smoking. Here's the truth: ... Smoking kills 1,200 Americans. Every day.

FoxNews.com - Tobacco Companies Fire Back on U.S. Government's Proposed Ads

Here is one: Smoking makes you stink to the XX% of Americans who do not smoke?

Well, that one is hard to prove although the ones the cigarette companies were protesting on Fox seemed to be factual.

Well, that one is hard to prove although the ones the cigarette companies were protesting on Fox seemed to be factual.

The point of my post was to highlight the hypocrisy of the government bashing the tobacco companies while at the same time taking a cut of the profits. The government profits just as the tobacco companies do with every pack sold.

The point of my post was to highlight the hypocrisy of the government bashing the tobacco companies while at the same time taking a cut of the profits. The government profits just as the tobacco companies do with every pack sold.

Yep, tobacco companies get demonized and sued, gov't gets applauded, sounds about right.........

Down here the taxes on ciggies - which are very heavy and rightly so - go straight back into the health system....

Yep, tobacco companies get demonized and sued, gov't gets applauded, sounds about right.........

I think it's great they get demonised...not too sure about the suing part. Sure, back in the 50s and 60s when big tobacco was trying to flog it as a healthy thing when they knew it wasn't is one thing. Anybody who has taken up smoking over the past 35 years and doesn't know it's bad for you is an idiot and doesn't deserve a dime. I started in 1981 and quit in 1998. I knew it was bad for me the day I started....

I think it's great they get demonised...not too sure about the suing part. Sure, back in the 50s and 60s when big tobacco was trying to flog it as a healthy thing when they knew it wasn't is one thing. Anybody who has taken up smoking over the past 35 years and doesn't know it's bad for you is an idiot and doesn't deserve a dime. I started in 1981 and quit in 1998. I knew it was bad for me the day I started....

You're correct, it's bad for you and everyone knows it, just like alcohol and several other things, but the tobacco companies seem to get it the worst. I just don't think it's the governments job to bash them, especially when profiting from them.

On a personal note, hats off to you for quitting and i hope you stopped early enough........

Down here the taxes on ciggies - which are very heavy and rightly so - go straight back into the health system....

Here the health care system doesn't see much of the tobacco money. Our pols use it for whatever they choose and always tell us that it's "For the children". And agreed...those that sue the tobacco companies that started smoking in the 80's or later don't deserve a nickle.

You're correct, it's bad for you and everyone knows it, just like alcohol and several other things, but the tobacco companies seem to get it the worst. I just don't think it's the governments job to bash them, especially when profiting from them.

On a personal note, hats off to you for quitting and i hope you stopped early enough........

To put it in perspective 2002 was the first year I could turn around and say I had been a non-smoker for the majority of my life than a smoker.

Forum List

Back