The fears of fearless white men

TruthOut10

Dec 3, 2012
From global warming to gun safety, status loss trumps all else in the 'white male effect'.

As US Vice President Joe Biden was casting a wide net, talking to a broad range of stakeholders, and hearing a full spectrum of suggestions about how to respond to America's epidemic of gun violence, the NRA once again set itself starkly apart by mischaracterising the broad diversity of ideas entertained as antithetical to Sarah Palin's "real Americans", whining angrily that "this task force spent most of its time on proposed restrictions on lawful firearms owners - honest, taxpaying, hardworking Americans".

It's a narrative strategy the gunowners has long relied on, but it's deeply deceptive at best, in at least two important ways. First - and most obviously - it's deceptive because most of what's being proposed falls into the category of ideas that I discussed previously here, which are supported by a majority of gun-owners - ideas that most gunowners themselves do not see as restricting them in any meaningful sense. They are proud to act responsibly - passing background checks when buying guns, for example - and would like to see everyone else act responsibly as well. But the second deeper deception concerns who the real victims are - not the 20 dead children in Newtown and the brave women who died protecting them, but rather, the "honest, taxpaying, hardworking Americans" who the NRA rather dubiously claims as its own - and who implicitly stand diametrically opposed to the 47 percent of "takers" that Mitt Romney so casually wrote off in his failed presidential bid.

This deeper deception is all the more potent because, although literally false, it expresses a symbolic truth - those the NRA speaks for really do feel like victims, and there are even valid reasons why they feel that way (this sense of heroic victimhood was echoed by other extremist voices which I'll touch on below, such as Matt Drudge comparing Obama to Hitler, Ted Nugent comparing gun-owners to Rosa Parks, and Larry Ward, chairman of Gun Appreciation Day, invoking Martin Luther King as a would-be "gun rights" advocate). But the solutions that the NRA offers them are no solutions at all - which, by the way, may help explain why the NRA's extremist positions have such limited support among gun-owners generally.

The fears of fearless white men - Opinion - Al Jazeera English

From global warming to gun safety, status loss trumps all else in the 'white male effect'.

As US Vice President Joe Biden was casting a wide net, talking to a broad range of stakeholders, and hearing a full spectrum of suggestions about how to respond to America's epidemic of gun violence, the NRA once again set itself starkly apart by mischaracterising the broad diversity of ideas entertained as antithetical to Sarah Palin's "real Americans", whining angrily that "this task force spent most of its time on proposed restrictions on lawful firearms owners - honest, taxpaying, hardworking Americans".

It's a narrative strategy the gunowners has long relied on, but it's deeply deceptive at best, in at least two important ways. First - and most obviously - it's deceptive because most of what's being proposed falls into the category of ideas that I discussed previously here, which are supported by a majority of gun-owners - ideas that most gunowners themselves do not see as restricting them in any meaningful sense. They are proud to act responsibly - passing background checks when buying guns, for example - and would like to see everyone else act responsibly as well. But the second deeper deception concerns who the real victims are - not the 20 dead children in Newtown and the brave women who died protecting them, but rather, the "honest, taxpaying, hardworking Americans" who the NRA rather dubiously claims as its own - and who implicitly stand diametrically opposed to the 47 percent of "takers" that Mitt Romney so casually wrote off in his failed presidential bid.

This deeper deception is all the more potent because, although literally false, it expresses a symbolic truth - those the NRA speaks for really do feel like victims, and there are even valid reasons why they feel that way (this sense of heroic victimhood was echoed by other extremist voices which I'll touch on below, such as Matt Drudge comparing Obama to Hitler, Ted Nugent comparing gun-owners to Rosa Parks, and Larry Ward, chairman of Gun Appreciation Day, invoking Martin Luther King as a would-be "gun rights" advocate). But the solutions that the NRA offers them are no solutions at all - which, by the way, may help explain why the NRA's extremist positions have such limited support among gun-owners generally.

Good article Truth. Thanks for posting. Since the prospect of more stringent gun controls has surfaced, You would swear that John Waynes spirit has invaded the bodies of every wannabe cowboy out there

."Oh God! How am I going to keep the ******* away???....the sky is falllllllling"

It always cracks me up on how racist people are to lump white people all together.

People with pale skin come in all different shades; but most importantly from a myriad of ethnic backgrounds.

Racist fools though somehow believe that the Croatian experience is the same as the Irish experience or the Italian experience is the same as the Danish experience.

And this form of ignorance is so prevalent today in the world of liberals You bloody idiots actually by into the stereotype of "a white male class".

And it's no less appalling that the ignorance of those that would lump all Muslims together. Or all blacks together.

And it does make liberals racist pigs.

It always cracks me up on how racist people are to lump white people all together.

People with pale skin come in all different shades; but most importantly from a myriad of ethnic backgrounds.

Racist fools though somehow believe that the Croatian experience is the same as the Irish experience or the Italian experience is the same as the Danish experience.

And this form of ignorance is so prevalent today in the world of liberals You bloody idiots actually by into the stereotype of "a white male class".

And it's no less appalling that the ignorance of those that would lump all Muslims together. Or all blacks together.

I dont see the "White males" as responsible class for everything evil but I think there is a common White Identity, especially in the New World. I dont think it is invalid that a "White Class" exists.

A Racist Croat, Irish, Italian, Danish are getting along very well

Last edited:
184435_339318099515264_1467819105_n.png

Good article Truth. Thanks for posting. Since the prospect of more stringent gun controls has surfaced, You would swear that John Waynes spirit has invaded the bodies of every wannabe cowboy out there

."Oh God! How am I going to keep the ******* away???....the sky is falllllllling"

You have way too much rep. Let me help you with that.

then why do you scorn ethnic studies in schools?

So gun ownership is racism now?

lmao.gif

Its the right who claims that every mention of weapons regulations is Obama comoing for their guns.

Its why so many cops have been killed since Obama was elected.

The gun lobby pumped up the crazy about a black man trying to take their guns and Poof cops get shot.

Now by your won peoples answers it has been prove that nearly 80% of the republican party showed EXPLICIT racism.

Yes its a race issue

you lose on that arguement too.

America jsut keeps reafirming that women have rights to control their own bodies.

I know it pains you that they have rights but your in the minority.

So just out of curiousity, how do the Italian, Croation, or Irish "experience" differ when they leave their homeland and assimilate into "American" culture?

Dont they become part of this vast so called "melting pot" and become a part of the black and white divide?

I can guarantee you that if a dark skinned African, Hatian, Colombian, or even a dark skinned Brit immigrate to America, they will become by default, "colored, negro, black, and in the words of many of who post here a "******". It is what it is.

Last edited:

So just out of curiousity, how do the Italian, Croation, or Irish "experience" differ when they leave their homeland and assimilate into "American" culture?

Dont they become part of this vast so called "melting pot" and become a part of the black and white divide?

I can guarantee you that if a dark skinned African, Hatian, Colombian, or even a dark skinned Brit immigrate to America, they will become by default, "colored, negro, black, and in the words of many of who post here a "******". It is what it is.

agree fully.

laws against abortion NEVER in the history of man stopped Abortion.

what they did was force it underground and then women and fetus died.

You just want to have a policy in this country that causes more death of women.

You dont think things through you just want to control people and FORCE them to follow the tennet of YOUR religion

laws against abortion NEVER in the history of man stopped Abortion.

what they did was force it underground and then women and fetus died.

You just want to have a policy in this country that causes more death of women.

You dont think things through you just want to control people and FORCE them to follow the tennet of YOUR religion

i think abortion should be legal in some cases (rape for example or when the birth would cause health Problems for the women) but i think it should be very strictly limited, it shouldnt be seen as a option of contraception just like condoms.
also i think the father should have a say because i wouldnt want a woman to kill my child and i have no say

and with those laws women an fetuses will still die.

do you want good results or JUST your way?

Abortion has exsisted throughout history.

YOU will NEVER stop it with laws.

all you do with laws against abortion is drive it into the back ally and both the woman and the fetus die..

ITS the reality

botched abortions used to be a top killer of women in this country before it was made legal.

Its what history shows

Forum List

Back