The Fearless Man vs. Jarhead

CSM

Jul 7, 2004
Northeast US
Well, I just finished reading the book "Jarhead" (the soon to be released movie). Talk about two entirely different viewpoints! I liked The Fearless Man a lot (even if it is about Marines...heh).

"Jarhead", on the other hand, could have been written by Michael Moore...very anti-war, denigrates women at every opportunity, arrogance on the author's part is rife through out the work (everyone is stupid but himself), disingenous with half truths, distortions and outright lies. The author has an obvious agenda. He does however, reveal some of the root causes for his twisted thinking by exposing his abnormal upbringing by an abusive father, etc. If the movie is anything at all like the book (Isuspect it will be) be prepared to suspend your belief. It will most certainly be as fictitious as the latest space opera.

CSM said:
Well, I just finished reading the book "Jarhead" (the soon to be released movie). Talk about two entirely different viewpoints! I liked The Fearless Man a lot (even if it is about Marines...heh).

"Jarhead", on the other hand, could have been written by Michael Moore...very anti-war, denigrates women at every opportunity, arrogance on the author's part is rife through out the work (everyone is stupid but himself), disingenous with half truths, distortions and outright lies. The author has an obvious agenda. He does however, reveal some of the root causes for his twisted thinking by exposing his abnormal upbringing by an abusive father, etc. If the movie is anything at all like the book (Isuspect it will be) be prepared to suspend your belief. It will most certainly be as fictitious as the latest space opera.

I bought Jarhead a few years ago and read it cover to cover. I liked it alot, Im young and inclined to believe anything about the Marines. I read it for the story and to learnt he experiences of the author. And I doubt the movie will be Micheal Morre-esque, it just doesnt seem like that kind of movie, given the trailers. If it is, I will be extremely dissapointed and will declare the axis of my life to be collapsed.

Jarhead is apparently almost totally free of political leaning, which (at least according to The Onion AV Club) actually hurts it. This is from their review...

Though the book harbors some hostility toward the Marine Corps—at least as a choice for Swofford—it's also notably apolitical, which stays true to the "kill-or-be-killed" mentality that soldiers must take into battle. In this regard, Jarhead isn't a pro-war or anti-war movie, it's a peek inside the sausage factory, aligning itself to the grunts like Swofford who do all the dirty work.

Full review

You forgot this....

The title of Anthony Swofford's vivid memoir Jarhead refers to the traditional "high-and-tight" haircuts of the Marines, but it's also a synonym for "dupe" or "sucker," someone who got roped into a raw deal.

and this....

Swofford and his military comrades wait fretfully for combat that never materializes, while baking in the desert sun and steaming about their wives and girlfriends cheating on them back home.

I stand by my initial thoughts on the book....
the author has an agenda that is superficially hidden under the guise of his hate and contempt for the Marine Corps. I was appalled at his opinion of women, I was extremely skeptical of his portrayal of young Marines as mostly drug addicts and older marines as abusive, brainwashed robots. It is a load of bull in that respect.

CSM said:
You forgot this....

The title of Anthony Swofford's vivid memoir Jarhead refers to the traditional "high-and-tight" haircuts of the Marines, but it's also a synonym for "dupe" or "sucker," someone who got roped into a raw deal.

and this....

Swofford and his military comrades wait fretfully for combat that never materializes, while baking in the desert sun and steaming about their wives and girlfriends cheating on them back home.

I stand by my initial thoughts on the book....
the author has an agenda that is superficially hidden under the guise of his hate and contempt for the Marine Corps. I was appalled at his opinion of women, I was extremely skeptical of his portrayal of young Marines as mostly drug addicts and older marines as abusive, brainwashed robots. It is a load of bull in that respect.

I could not agree with you anymore of what you have said. The movie is even more of a driven agenda maker. Yes some of those things depicted in both the book and movie do happen from time to time. But for the most part, U.S. Marines carry out their assignments and duties with great professionalism and honor. My unit was full of very intelligent Marines who understand their mission and duty. Although those things can happen in any given unit, the suggestion that they all happen is a misrepresentations to the Corp. The current serving members of the U.S. Armed Forces are for the most part, the best educated service men and women the Nations has yet to produce. Jarhead was another driven agenda book and movie. Don't waste the read or watch the movie.

Forum List

Back