The falsehoods of voter ID laws suppressing turnout

Fact: US citizens in good standing have been disenfranchised by Voter ID laws.

Longtime state employee may be blocked from voting

One woman who has been voting for more than eight decades in this state was told this week she may no longer be eligible to vote.

She's worked four years at the Tennessee State Capitol and has her old state ID, but that's not good enough under the new voter ID law.

Thelma Mitchell cleaned this governor's office for his entire term. She has been a fixture at the State Capitol for more than 30 years, yet this year she was told "you're no longer allowed to vote."

"I ain't missed a governor's election since (Frank) Clement got to be the governor," said Mitchell.

The 93-year-old Mitchell voted for the first time in 1931, soon after women gained the right to vote in the United States.

"It meant a lot to me," said Mitchell.

Mitchell worked as a maid cleaning the State Capitol, specifically the governor's office.

She has known governors, legislators and council members personally for decades.

This week Mitchell found out her old state ID with her picture on it is no longer enough to qualify her to vote.

"When he told me I may be in this country illegally, I said I've been over here all my life," said Mitchell.

Fact: US citizens in good standing have been disenfranchised by Voter ID laws

Dorothy Cooper

Dorothy Cooper is a 96-year-old African-American resident of Chattanooga, Tennessee. She was born in a small town in northern Georgia before women could vote and when Jim Crow laws mandated racial segregation. Her life has spanned nearly a century of progress: The 19th Amendment extended suffrage to women, the Civil Rights movement led to the dismantling of segregation laws, and the Voting Rights Act outlawed overt racial discrimination in elections.

Mrs. Cooper has always honored this past by voting. In 70 years, she has missed only one election, in 1960, because a move made her miss the registration deadline. Despite living through an era when African-Americans were routinely turned away from the ballot box -- and worse -- Mrs. Cooper said she "never had any problems" exercising her rights. Even before the Voting Rights Act was passed in 1965.

Until now.

Last week Tennessee effectively prohibited her from voting because of the state's new photo ID requirement.

In 2011, Republicans in Tennessee passed a law requiring all voters to show current, government-issued photo identification before voting in person. Mrs. Cooper has a Social Security card and a photo ID issued by the Chattanooga Police Department for seniors in her housing complex.

When she went to the Tennessee Driver Service Center to obtain a new photo ID before the next election, she came prepared. She had her rent receipt, a copy of her lease, voter registration card and birth certificate.

But under the new Republican law, this still wasn't good enough. Tennessee refused to issue Mrs. Cooper a photo ID because the last name on her birth certificate is different from her married name, the name she uses now. But she has no marriage certificate, so she cannot clear up the discrepancy to Tennessee's satisfaction. And so she cannot enter a voting booth and have her vote counted.

In support of photo ID laws, Republicans have argued that everyone has a photo ID -- a claim that Mrs. Cooper's story squarely disproves.

Indiana election chief found guilty of voter fraud | Fox News

Yes, Virginia, There Really Is Voter Fraud - By Hans A. von Spakovsky - The Corner - National Review Online

PolitiFact Texas | Greg Abbott claims 50 election fraud convictions since 2002

A particular favorite of Mine

DEMOCRATS Arrested and/or Convicted of Voter Fraud | Specfriggintacular's Blog

Update: February 3, 2012

A local Florida station invented an unprecedented way to check for voter fraud: jury excusal forms. NBC2 compiled a list of jury excusals based on not being a citizen of the United States and compared it to a list of registered voters in two counties. They discovered almost 100 illegally registered voters, many of whom had voted multiple times. “I vote every year,” one woman told NBC2, despite the fact that she is not a US citizen. The woman had told the court that she couldn’t serve on a jury because she wasn’t a US citizen, but she doesn’t seem to have a problem voting like one.
8 Arrested for Absentee Voter Fraud in Madison County, Florida

7 Democrats Arrested in New York for actual Voter Fraud via Absentee Ballots

But this one takes that cake

NAACP Executive Sentence to 10 Years in Prison for Voting for Obama 10 Times in 2008

While NAACP President Benjamin Jealous lashed out at new state laws requiring photo ID for voting, an NAACP executive sits in prison, sentenced for carrying out a massive voter fraud scheme.
In April 2011, a Tunica County, Miss., jury convicted NAACP official Lessadolla Sowers on 10 counts of fraudulently casting absentee ballots.
Sowers received a five-year prison term for each of the 10 counts…..
“This crime cuts against the fabric of our free society,” Judge Webster said.
Sowers was found guilty of voting in the names of Carrie Collins, Walter Howard, Sheena Shelton, Alberta Pickett, Draper Cotton and Eddie Davis.
She was also convicted of voting in the names of four dead persons: James L. Young, Dora Price, Dorothy Harris, and David Ross.
In the trial, forensic scientist Bo Scales testified that Sowers’s DNA was found on the inner seals of five envelopes containing absentee ballots.

When Fox News goes down to the street and finds a negro who is able to vote (they have actually done this), they think this proves that NO negroes have been disenfranchised.

This is how incredibly stupid the people pouring your bongwater have become.

Portage County veteran, 86, doesn't vote after VA identification card rejected at polls

A Portage County World War II veteran was turned away from a polling place this morning because his driver’s license had expired in January and his new Veterans Affairs ID did not include his home address.

“My beef is that I had to pay a driver to take me up there because I don’t walk so well and have to use this cane and now I can’t even vote,” said Paul Carroll, 86, who has lived in Aurora nearly 40 years, running his own business, Carroll Tire, until 1975.

“I had to stop driving, but I got the photo ID from the Veterans Affairs instead, just a month or so ago. You would think that would count for something. I went to war for this country, but now I can’t vote in this country.”

And I was at a precinct wherein there WERE no affidavits for voters without photo ID. A few were improvised, no telling how many were turned away. Once again, I had to cast a provisional ballot, AND check back to see if more documentation was required in 2002. Voting is the foundation of this nation; and many want that precious right chipped away. There is no significant illegal voting going on, this is just another "be sure you vote right, ok?" scheme used in the south pre voting rights decisions to make sure the right candidate won.

How would Voter ID have detected or prevented this?

I can't use smaller words than I already have. I did not ask for evidence of voter fraud.

I asked for evidence of voter fraud which could only be caught or prevented by Voter ID.

A particular favorite of Mine

DEMOCRATS Arrested and/or Convicted of Voter Fraud | Specfriggintacular's Blog

Update: February 3, 2012

A local Florida station invented an unprecedented way to check for voter fraud: jury excusal forms. NBC2 compiled a list of jury excusals based on not being a citizen of the United States and compared it to a list of registered voters in two counties. They discovered almost 100 illegally registered voters, many of whom had voted multiple times. “I vote every year,” one woman told NBC2, despite the fact that she is not a US citizen. The woman had told the court that she couldn’t serve on a jury because she wasn’t a US citizen, but she doesn’t seem to have a problem voting like one.
8 Arrested for Absentee Voter Fraud in Madison County, Florida

"Illegally registered voters". Did you even read your own favorite of yours? It appears not.

Did the absence of Voter ID cause these people to be illegally registered?

No.

You have incorrectly identified the problem. The problem is the registration process is not being properly maintained. Why are you not screaming for that to be fixed instead? Let's fix what is actually broken! How's that for a novel idea?

I am amazed people who think they are on the Right believe adding yet another layer of complexity to government is going to solve the problem and make it work more efficiently when they are not even capable of identifying the actual problem, much less interested in fixing it.

But this one takes that cake

In April 2011, a Tunica County, Miss., jury convicted NAACP official Lessadolla Sowers on 10 counts of fraudulently casting absentee ballots.

And Voter ID would have caught or prevented the casting of absentee ballots...how?

Are you engaging your brain?

Now let's take a look at this one, shall we?

Eric Shawn at FOX News reports that two Troy city officials, the city clerk and a councilman, along with two Democratic political operatives, have pled guilty to forging absentee-ballot signatures and casting fraudulent ballots in the 2009 Working Families Party primary.

And Voter ID would have caught or prevented this...how?

They were forging absentee ballot signatures. What are you going to do, show your ID to the mailman? :lol:

Voter ID would have ZERO effect on this kind of fraud.

Last edited:
Now where was I?

Oh yeah.

Fact: No case of voter fraud in more than 200 years of elections could only have been prevented or caught by Voter ID.

Voting is a Constitutional right. I am real big on protecting our Constitutional rights. If a US citizen in good standing is having their Constitutional rights violated, I will make some noise about it.

I would think my fellow conservatives would stand up for the Constitution. I would think they would get especially pissed about a WWII vet being denied his right to vote. I'd expect at least ten topics in one day on this forum five minutes after he was denied. I'd expect a thousand Tea Partiers to be raiding the voting precinct and stabbing the officials to death with their flag lapel pins.

It is most curious they were completely silent.

Where's Rush? Where's Hannity? Where's Coulter? Where's Malkin?

Hmmmmm...

Last edited:
I have to show my ID when I vote and it's a huge inconvenience to me. I have to reach into my pocket, take out my wallet, and show them my drivers license. :(

And it's worth it!

Now where was I?

Oh yeah.

Fact: No case of voter fraud in more than 200 years of elections could only have been prevented or caught by Voter ID.

I'm gonna have to call bullshit.

The number of African-Americans voting in the 2008 primary also doubled from 2004. In fact, there were 100,000 more votes in the Democratic Primary than in the Republican Primary.

Hmmmm...I wonder why more black people turned out in 2008. I'm sure some people have no fricking clue why that is.

More black people than usual turned out to vote. Gosh, I can't for the life of me figure out why...

Oh! It must have been the Voter ID laws!

This is the worst case of post hoc ergo propter hoc logical fallacy I have ever seen. And that's really saying something.

Just because more black voters turned out in 2008 than usual is not evidence none have been disenfranchised by some states' Voter ID laws.

So what you're saying is people voted FOR OBAMA BECAUSE HE IS BLACK?

G500 you have one fucking senile old woman who was too dumb to figure out how to get an id.

Therefore everyone should just relax and say fuck it to protecting the sanctity of their vote? Fuck your argument and screw you.

When you are trying to suppress the vote, every percentage point counts. Out of the blue, suddenly Republicans are doing voter suppression, only they are calling it something else.

I have an idea, if Republicans had good policies, they wouldn't need "voter suppression".

When you are trying to suppress the vote, every percentage point counts. Out of the blue, suddenly Republicans are doing voter suppression, only they are calling it something else.

I have an idea, if Republicans had good policies, they wouldn't need "voter suppression".

Yes, voter suppression IS happening. The suppression of Fraudulent Votes the Left can no longer rely on. And this angers them.

Strange as it may seem, the same man that wouldn't prosecute the Black Panthers for voter intimidation or any other crime for that matter, is now going after states with voter ID laws in place.

Which voter at that Philly polling station was intimidated by the New Black Panthers? Name the voter.

Yes, voter suppression IS happening. The suppression of Fraudulent Votes the Left can no longer rely on. And this angers them.

What percentage of the votes the "Left" received were fraudulent?

Many states will provide a FREE ID card for voting purposes, but liberals then claim it's too hard for their "people" to get to an office to pick it up.

Of course, those same "people" can somehow make it to the court house to vote on election day.....

G500 you have one fucking senile old woman who was too dumb to figure out how to get an id.

Therefore everyone should just relax and say fuck it to protecting the sanctity of their vote? Fuck your argument and screw you.

In what year did the sanctity of your vote come into question?

Forum List

Back