The Falling Man from 9/11 (Esquire article and more)

Middleman

Defender of the month
May 16, 2010
Northwestern United States
This is an acclaimed and very human, article about one particular man who died on 911, having (most likely) leaped to his death. The photo, was particularly personal, and almost taboo. Read the article.

Do you remember this photograph? In the United States, people have taken pains to banish it from the record of September 11, 2001. The story behind it, though, and the search for the man pictured in it, are our most intimate connection to the horror of that day.

Read more: The Falling Man - Tom Junod - 9/11 Suicide Photograph - Esquire
The Falling Man - Tom Junod - 9/11 Suicide Photograph - Esquire

fallingman-lg.jpg

Here is an online obituary for the man believed to be the falling man.

Biography

Jonathan Eric Briley came into this world on March 5th, 1958 to Marie and Alexander Briley, and he departed this world on September 11, 2001.

He received his elementary and secondary education through the Mount Vernon, New York public school system, and he received his Bachelor of Arts degree from New York University, New York. His expertise took him into the profession of Sound Engineer for various corporations such as Arrowwood in Rye Brook NY, The Hilton, The Marriott, and Windows On The World at the World Trade Center in New York City.

Jonathan accepted Christ at an early age. In his teenage years he was a member of Shiloh Baptist Church, New Rochelle NY. There he served in the Christian Education Ministry and the Music Ministry. At the time of his death he worshiped at First Baptist Church of Elmsford NY, where he was ordained as a Deacon on March 11th 2001 and served as a armor bearer for his father and pastor Rev. Alexander Briley Jr.

Jonathan, imbued with the spirit of humility, never failed to look for an opportunity to be of service. He used his skills as an Audio Engineer in churches up and down the east coast. The quiet peaceful spirit that resided in his 6’5 ½” frame was a beacon of light and warmth that was felt by everyone who came in contact with him. His sense of humor attested to the joy of his spirit. His patience was a source of strength to everyone he met. Jonathan’s life blessed God because of the fruits of The Holy Spirit.

He fell in love with Hillary Mattox (Miss Thing), and on July 23, 1994 they were joined together in holy matrimony.

Jonathan (affectingly known as Slim by Tim and Mister by Hillary) is survived by his wife Hillary Briley, his parents Rev. and Mrs. Alexander Briley Jr., brother Alexander Briley III of Mount Vernon NY, sister Gwendolyn Strand of Ft. Washington MD, sister Joanne Briley, brother Timothy Briley both of Mount Vernon NY.

Tributes Page for Jonathan Briley

Last edited:
That was a good article and I like the point it makes. For instance, I am bothered by it being labeled a "suicide". I don't think it was suicide, and I think it's an unfair stigma to attach to the people who jumped. But then again, that's the point of the article.

The city is covered in inches of muck
I see some other pictures of victims are up
Grieving mothers are thinking their children are stuck
Leaping lovers are making decisions to jump
While holding hands...to escape the brutal heat
Sometimes in groups of the three.

"Makeshift Patriot" by Sage Francis

That was a good article and I like the point it makes. For instance, I am bothered by it being labeled a "suicide". I don't think it was suicide, and I think it's an unfair stigma to attach to the people who jumped. But then again, that's the point of the article.

I thought that myself. Suicide is definitely an inappropriate term.

The article implies that, with some, there was a stigma attached to those who chose to fall, instead of being burned alive.

I feel the opposite. I admire them for being able to choose to surrender to their fate. They were decisive people. They accepted their final destiny with grace, I think.

I thought that myself. Suicide is definitely an inappropriate term.

The article implies that, with some, there was a stigma attached to those who chose to fall, instead of being burned alive.

I feel the opposite. I admire them for being able to choose to surrender to their fate. They were decisive people. They accepted their final destiny with grace, I think.

I feel the same way. Plus, depending on where you were at. It might have not been so much an acceptance thing but a move out of desperation as they fled incineration.

The people that jumped had no idea that everyone in the buildings were doomed anyways as they would eventually fall. So to choose to jump means that their situation was bad enough to have to choose certain death versus waiting it out.

i never saw the 'jumpers' as suicide....i saw them as people wanting to live...wanting to live that last few seconds...and perhaps controlling their fates....the single jumpers...the ones holding hands....you wonder what they said to each other and they took that final leap....or was a hand simply held out....both knowing the meaning?

but no, these people did not kill themselves...they simply took another option than burning to death

Right, very few people in the building probably know what exactly had happened, and that the building would collapse, leaving them no chance for rescue. The only people who would chose to fall would be those faced with immediate, certain, and painful death.

i never saw the 'jumpers' as suicide....i saw them as people wanting to live...wanting to live that last few seconds...and perhaps controlling their fates....the single jumpers...the ones holding hands....you wonder what they said to each other and they took that final leap....or was a hand simply held out....both knowing the meaning?

but no, these people did not kill themselves...they simply took another option than burning to death

I agree, but by definition it was suicide and yet that doesn't seem fair to the people. I can't imagine I would have chosen incineration over jumping if I even had the balls to jump.

That's why the article was so good.

I would chose to fall. I would need those moments alone, to compose myself before death. I would imagine the overwhelming noise, terror, heat, smoke, screams of the dying, would be too much.

Forum List

Back