The fall of the House of Saud

IceEyes

Rookie
Apr 18, 2005
Sweden - Stockholm
I've read this, - think I understand it, and I find it more than a little bit scary.

Robert Bear said:
To view the full article, follow the link: http://foi.missouri.edu/evolvingissues/fallhouseofsaud.html
By Robert Baer
The Atlantic Monthly
May 2003

Americans have long considered Saudi Arabia the one constant in the Arab Middle East--a source of cheap oil, political stability, and lucrative business relationships. But the country is run by an increasingly dysfunctional royal family that has been funding militant Islamic movements abroad in an attempt to protect itself from them at home. A former CIA operative argues, in an article drawn from his new book, Sleeping With the Devil, that today's Saudi Arabia can't last much longer--and the social and economic fallout of its demise could be calamitous

In the decades after World War II the United States and the rest of the industrialized world developed a deep and irrevocable dependence on oil from Saudi Arabia, the world's largest and most important producer. But by the mid-1980s--with the Iran-Iraq war raging, and the OPEC oil embargo a recent and traumatic memory--the supply, which had until that embargo been taken for granted, suddenly seemed at risk. Disaster planners in and out of government began to ask uncomfortable questions. What points of the Saudi oil infrastructure were most vulnerable to terrorist attack? And by what means? What sorts of disruption to the flow of oil, short-term and long-term, could be expected? These were critical concerns. Underlying them all was the fear that a major attack on the Saudi system could cause the global economy to collapse

IceEyes said:
But the country is run by an increasingly dysfunctional royal family that has been funding militant Islamic movements abroad in an attempt to protect itself from them at home.

Helping the beast in hopes of controlling it. A real conumdrum. My deepest sympathies go out to the Sa'ud family. :rolleyes:

One thing, that has always left me wondering is: what are the extremists planning to do with all the petrol dollars if they are able to overthrow the Sa'ud family and kick out all foriegners - hide it under their beds?

Said1 said:
Helping the beast in hopes of controlling it. A real conumdrum. My deepest sympathies go out to the Sa'ud family. :rolleyes:

One thing, that has always left me wondering is: what are the extremists planning to do with all the petrol dollars if they are able to overthrow the Sa'ud family and kick out all foriegners - hide it under their beds?
heck---buy weapons from the EU of course !

Said1 said:
Do you think foreigners would be allowed to continue developing and running Saudi infrastructer? Probably not at first, but what choice would they have.

I would think they would allow citizens from anywhere come and help as long as they toed the line.

dilloduck said:
I would think they would allow citizens from anywhere come and help as long as they toed the line.

I guess that's one way of putting it, but it would probably very hazerdous to any none-fundamentalists health. They're jails are full of foreigners as it is now, image a new and improved Saudi Arabia. :eek:

Said1 said:
I guess that's one way of putting it, but it would probably very hazerdous to any none-fundamentalists health. They're jails are full of foreigners as it is now, image a new and improved Saudi Arabia. :eek:
If they are seriously fundementalist they may just let the infrastucture rot but I bet the sale of oil remains blessed by allah :arabia:

dilloduck said:
If they are seriously fundementalist they may just let the infrastucture rot but I bet the sale of oil remains blessed by allah :arabia:

I'm thinking that would be inevitable, at least until the next revoultion. :crutch:

Forum List

Back