The Fairness Doctrine

You are kidding, right? We just watched 8 years of warrantless wiretapping, political favoritism, and torture and you still deny that you voted for a "wannabe" King twice.

I AM GLAD YOU WILL HAVE TO WATCH OBAMA, A BLACK MAN, RULE THIS COUNTRY FOR 4 YEARS. :clap2:

so how many gulags were set up & how many people disappeared in the middle of the night as you libs thought would happen....

I agree that this will result in an explosion of internet and sat. radio. and pay services. My point is that the goal to level the playing field though while its target is the so called conservative talking heads will result in protracted legal fight and if implemented will no doubt level that field across liberal shows as well. So each time you see an opinion expressed by someone , someone else will demand equal time. Each time you hear Keith Olbermann or Sean Hannity someone on the other side will demand equal time. I see this as a never ending cycle when the goal was to appease a limited number of partisans in the first place. IMO the Fairness Doctrine will eventually backfire on it's intended target and when it does you will end up back where we began and that where we are today. When the simple answer is for people to take some personal responsibility and just turn off what they do not like.

I think the point is that it will go back to the way it used to be. AM radio would be where you hear scratchy country music and religious broadcasting and that's about it. The fairness doctrine was too much effort to manage and ultimately not worth the effort. Most stations just avoided political commentary altogether.

It's an awesome way of chilling what is supposed to be the free-est speech of all -- Political Speech. If the 1st Amendment means anything, it means that.

Interesting, you want to limit people's free speech and you call THEM crybabies.

Hmmm.

Again, considering the FINITE RESOURCE that is the radio spectrum, conservatism doesn't own a monopoly on the radio forum. Don't like it? Evolve or get thee to Dubai. No one is saying conservatives must shut the fuck up. We are saying that you can't hog the fucking sandbox that we all own.

Again, considering the FINITE RESOURCE that is the radio spectrum, conservatism doesn't own a monopoly on the radio forum. Don't like it? Evolve or get thee to Dubai. No one is saying conservatives must shut the fuck up. We are saying that you can't hog the fucking sandbox that we all own.

Talk radio is largely conservative since this is what people want to hear.....liberal talk radio doesn't jive with the average radio listener....

Talk radio is largely conservative since this is what people want to hear.....liberal talk radio doesn't jive with the average radio listener....

I'll say it one more time. the Radio resources that we have are finite. We share these kind of finite resources. You don't speak for what everyone wants to hear. Remember last night? If you don't like it there are plenty of options for you. Take it to xml radio. Take it to the internet. Talk radio is largely conservative because very few people have access to broadcasting and those who do have collected monopolies on markets. You see, THIS is a ball you can't just take home after throwing a fit. Enjoy.

Well, let's see, I'm only here in Washington, DC, the capital of politics. And as I scan up and down the dial I hear 2 stations dedicated to conservative talk radio. We also have one station dedicated to liberal talk radio and one station dedicated to Federal Talk radio (for bureaucrats). My AM radio supports dozens and dozens more stations, but that's all that is being used. So, we don't have a FINITE issue. You are just using that as an silly assed excuse to trample free speech.

Well, let's see, I'm only here in Washington, DC, the capital of politics. And as I scan up and down the dial I hear 2 stations dedicated to conservative talk radio. We also have one station dedicated to liberal talk radio and one station dedicated to Federal Talk radio (for bureaucrats). My AM radio supports dozens and dozens more stations, but that's all that is being used. So, we don't have a FINITE issue. You are just using that as an silly assed excuse to trample free speech.

:lol:

clearly, your radio options reflect the same kind of options everyone else has across the nation. If you don't think the radio spectrum is a finite resource then you clearly have no clue what the hell you are talking about outside of riding a quivering lip to tantrumville.

you know, there is a little something called the OFF switch if you don't like a program....I don't like half the crap that comes over the liberal tube & the liberal rags, so I do something I am perfectly capable of....& that is to make up my own mind & ignore it.....

Yes, you ignore a lot. Like for example, the fact that it's not fair.

Between 2000-2006, the GOP took over Sunday political talk on tv.

I want a fucking liberal show on tv too so your side, which fucking lies, isn't the only bullshit people are hearing.

No fucking wonder they won in 2002 and 2004.

It got so bad, you couldn't bullshit us enough no matter how many stations you owned.

Every political talk show would put 3 Republicans on for every 1 Democrat. They would never put 2 and 2, or 1 on 1. The Democrats were always outnumbered.

The GOP tried to brainwash us.

There are a lot of good arguments for the fairness doctrine. And since your way failed so miserably, we might try it my way now. :lol:

Last edited:
I'll say it one more time. the Radio resources that we have are finite. We share these kind of finite resources. You don't speak for what everyone wants to hear. Remember last night? If you don't like it there are plenty of options for you. Take it to xml radio. Take it to the internet. Talk radio is largely conservative because very few people have access to broadcasting and those who do have collected monopolies on markets. You see, THIS is a ball you can't just take home after throwing a fit. Enjoy.

Nobody is throwing a fit except you. You're having a fit because you want to shut down people that disagree with your point of view from a whole medium. First radio, then TV, next cable and satellite. Then your little Stalinist world would be about right, huh?

And I know of no media establishment out there that purposely sticks to a format as part of some grand conspiracy....look how many times a radio station will change formats because they are loosing money on a failed format....same thing here, liberal talk was attempted & it didn't work....this isn't PBS here we are talking about, these are private businesses that set up the station, pay the bills, employ people working there & paid for the license to broadcast. They have every right in the world to do what it takes to make money back on that investment...this is a classic case of trying to solve a problem that doesn't even exist...

To go further, you keep mentioning about these finite resources...yet, you mentioned the internet, XM radio, etc....you mean to tell me that radio trumps all other forms of communication in this country....you mean to tell me people don't have computers, TVs, access to newspapers, etc.? Spare me....this is nothing more than libs trying to limit freedom of thought in this country with ideas they don't agree with.....

you know, there is a little something called the OFF switch if you don't like a program....I don't like half the crap that comes over the liberal tube & the liberal rags, so I do something I am perfectly capable of....& that is to make up my own mind & ignore it.....

Don't forget too that this is how the GOP lied us into Iraq.

There's the number one fucking reason to bring back the fairness doctrine.

This country will never be ruled by one party.

Should we now, since clearly the country is 80% liberal, replace Rush with Randi Rhodes?

I say we at least should give Air America a good fucking radio station. I can only hear it half way home, then it gets fuzzy.

You mean Rush is on two stations in one city and no liberal show would be popular in that city? Clearly those cities just voted for Obama.

I think you are so one sided that you will never understand what I'm saying, so never mind.

We're going to break up your monopolies. Get ready.

:lol:

clearly, your radio options reflect the same kind of options everyone else has across the nation. If you don't think the radio spectrum is a finite resource then you clearly have no clue what the hell you are talking about outside of riding a quivering lip to tantrumville.

Clearchannel would make more money if they would put Randi Rhodes against Rush in every market he's in. But they don't, because they want him spewing his garbage and they don't want Randi (the truth) getting to the people.

They may now that we run everything, but not from 2000-2006. Back then they said there was no market for liberal talk. Clearly they were lying.

Yes, you ignore a lot. Like for example, the fact that it's not fair.

Between 2000-2006, the GOP took over Sunday political talk on tv.

I want a fucking liberal show on tv too so your side, which fucking lies, isn't the only bullshit people are hearing.

No fucking wonder they won in 2002 and 2004.

It got so bad, you couldn't bullshit us enough no matter how many stations you owned.

Every political talk show would put 3 Republicans on for every 1 Democrat. They would never put 2 and 2, or 1 on 1. The Democrats were always outnumbered.

The GOP tried to brainwash us.

There are a lot of good arguments for the fairness doctrine. And since your way failed so miserably, we might try it my way now. :lol:

so CNN, MSNBC, etc., are part of the vast right wing conspiracy....spare me....how many newspapers are so blatantly liberal, that they might as well be used as a DNC talking paper....this fairness doctrine is nothing more than an attempt by the Left to muzzle free speech in this country.....it is a means of thought control....

Clearchannel would make more money if they would put Randi Rhodes against Rush in every market he's in. But they don't, because they want him spewing his garbage and they don't want Randi (the truth) getting to the people.

They may now that we run everything, but not from 2000-2006. Back then they said there was no market for liberal talk. Clearly they were lying.

then why did air america fail? do you think that a commercial radio station would just eschew a profitable format for the sake of a political party?

for that matter, there isn't an area in the country where there isn't tons of available spectrum on AM and FM, so why hasn't some liberal capitalist glommed on to some of it and set up shop?

and if you think you run everything, you're in for a rude awakening.

Nobody is throwing a fit except you. You're having a fit because you want to shut down people that disagree with your point of view from a whole medium. First radio, then TV, next cable and satellite. Then your little Stalinist world would be about right, huh?

oh no, sir.. by throwing out stupid rhetoric like 'stalinist" it's pretty clear which of us is throwing a fit and which of us is actually familiar with the limited resource of radio. Besides, why would I throw a fit when my side won the prerogative to enforce the fairness doctrine? Again, no one is forcing conservative from speaking out. We are delegating a finite resource. So, take my advice and take it to xml OR wan wifi and kiss my liberal democrat ass.

:thup:

The Fairness Doctrine attempts to level the playing field in a commerical medium that it's been proven especially in talk radio that liberal talk personalities have traditionally not faired well. So, because people do not care to listen to stations like Air America and others, the Fairness doctrine attempts to force them too anyway. What most don't seem to grasp here, is the fact there is a thing called and off button, and something further a little thing called a *choice* to listen or not.

However, the Fairness Doctirne can cut both way's, take for example, shows like Keith Olbermann's and Maddow's . The implemeantation of this doctrine would itself bring about the change not only in media on the conservative level but also on the liberal level.

The Fairness Doctrine preceeds rightwing nutcase radio. The original intent was to make sure ALL information was made public. Amazingly, the right wing has issues with information getting out there, while whining that their free speeh is being suppressed. This from the same people who try to boycott anyone who offends them.

And to address the people who have this bizarre idea that somehow the airwaves are "free" and should be unregulated, I direct their attention to FCC v. Pacifica.

FindLaw | Cases and Codes

The airwaves are regulated. How many media outlets can be owned by an individual or corporation, and logs have to be constantly maintained as to content.

then why did air america fail? do you think that a commercial radio station would just eschew a profitable format for the sake of a political party?

for that matter, there isn't an area in the country where there isn't tons of available spectrum on AM and FM, so why hasn't some liberal capitalist glommed on to some of it and set up shop?

and if you think you run everything, you're in for a rude awakening.

Air America is on and I listen to it everyday. There is even Nova M Radio now. Both have LOUSY reception. One's good in Ann Arbor, the other is good in Dearborn MI. Neither are like the major AM stations. Crystal clear.

Air America went bankrupt. Lack of corporate sponsors? Bad radio stations?

There are tons of AM and FM? I didn't know that. I thought all the good stations were bought up.

What happened to O'Reilly & Hannity? One or both of them went off the air.

In fact, rush isn't as popular as they say he is. His ratings are fudged. But they don't care because of the propoganda he puts out there.

I don't have all the answers, but look at what happened to that old fucker who called those girls nappy headed hoes. He got fired. So why hasn't Rush? Because the rich people that own his stations love the hate that he spreads. Same with Savage, Michael Reagan, etc.

I don't have all the answers, but I believe you are wrong. A few rich liberals bought Air America and it's expensive. Add to that crappy stations and who knows?

But I know that there are markets that Rush is in and when Randi Rhodes was up against him, she won in ratings. She may not have won in advertising, but more people listened.

YOu are assuming that economics are the only factor and that if she was more popular, they'd put her on no matter what, but you are wrong.

Even Olbermann won't talk against the oil companies, because they are his sponsors. NO ONE owns Randi. She even called Hillary and Ferraro WHORES and she got fired. That's when NOVA M picked her up.

I can't wait to listen to her on the way home. Excuse me, half way home. THen she starts cutting out.

The airwaves are regulated. How many media outlets can be owned by an individual or corporation, and logs have to be constantly maintained as to content.

Didn't they de regulate it in 97 so guys like Rupert Murdoc could buy up everything?

Last edited:
oh no, sir.. by throwing out stupid rhetoric like 'stalinist" it's pretty clear which of us is throwing a fit and which of us is actually familiar with the limited resource of radio. Besides, why would I throw a fit when my side won the prerogative to enforce the fairness doctrine? Again, no one is forcing conservative from speaking out. We are delegating a finite resource. So, take my advice and take it to xml OR wan wifi and kiss my liberal democrat ass.

:thup:

You're silly. I don't know why you keep insisting that I'm mad though. I'm not mad. You're just wrong. You can enforce all kinds of things, that doesn't make them right. I believe you may have mentioned as much when Bush was doing them.

Don't forget too that this is how the GOP lied us into Iraq.

There's the number one fucking reason to bring back the fairness doctrine.

This country will never be ruled by one party.

Should we now, since clearly the country is 80% liberal, replace Rush with Randi Rhodes?

I say we at least should give Air America a good fucking radio station. I can only hear it half way home, then it gets fuzzy.

You mean Rush is on two stations in one city and no liberal show would be popular in that city? Clearly those cities just voted for Obama.

I think you are so one sided that you will never understand what I'm saying, so never mind.

We're going to break up your monopolies. Get ready.

the country is 80% liberal yet 56 million people voted for McCain....gotcha....:cuckoo:

New Topics

Forum List

Back