The failure of the GOP to produce credible presidential candidates

Londoner

Gold Member
Jul 17, 2010
The Republican field for president seems frustratingly weak. The front runner is not conservative. He was the inspiration for ObamaCare and has a "pro choice" past. And then there is Perry, who seems intellectually unfit. Finally there is Cain, the anti-Romney candidate, who is fast becoming a joke. Behind the "Big Three" we see people like Gingrich and Bachman, who can't be taken seriously as candidates.

40 years ago the GOP was a strong party with credible leaders. They represented family values, small government, and strong national defense. Today, they don't seem to represent anything.

A question arises. What happened to the Republican Party? Have they lost anything of value on the long road from William F Buckley & Milton Friedman to Sarah Palin & Donald Trump? Can anyone speculate why this once great party has become such a powerful breeding ground for misfits, morons, and opportunists?

Their only credible candidate who can win a national election is Romney. Romney has the national backing and most of the funding. What he lacks is grassroots support. I have never seen a person with a Romney sign on their lawn and have never seen a poster on this site support Romney. Romney has corporate Republican support but no support from actual Republicans

The fact that Cain is still considered a viable alternative to Romney speaks volumes about the state of the Republican Party

Last edited:
The Republican field for president seems frustratingly weak. The front runner is not conservative. He was the inspiration for ObamaCare and has a "pro choice" past. And then there is Perry, who seems intellectually unfit. Finally there is Cain, the anti-Romney candidate, who is fast becoming a joke. Behind the "Big Three" we see people like Gingrich and Bachman, who can't be taken seriously as candidates.

40 years ago the GOP was a strong party with credible leaders. They represented family values, small government, and strong national defense. Today, they don't seem to represent anything.

A question arises. What happened to the Republican Party? Have they lost anything of value on the long road from William F Buckley & Milton Friedman to Sarah Palin & Donald Trump? Can anyone speculate why this once great party has become such a powerful breeding ground for misfits, morons, and opportunists?

Why would anyone with any intelligence want to run for President? You have to sell your soul to the money men, lie and cheat, open up your past life to global inspection (did you cheat on that spelling test in the 6th grade?) and dehumanize yourself. The people who can make a difference are not going to put their families and themselves through that torture. I thought Mitch Daniels would have been an excellent candidate but here again family is more important which is the right thing to do. Family first!

They, like many Democrats, are beholden to the lobbyists & the corps they represent. The conservatives don't seem to mind having the best gov't money can buy though as evidenced by their glee inre: Citizens United.

Who would you like to see run? It's easy to be an armchair quarterback and diss the Republicans and for that matter the Democrats as well.

How are you attempting to change the political climate? How are you involved apart from being a critic?

Do you get involved on a local level? A State level? Are you going to get involved in any campaign this year?

Around this time in 2007 no one would have expected Obama to be the Democrat candidate let alone President.

At least they all can produce a valid, verifiable, hard copy print on paper birth certificate.

Is this the part where the far left whackaloons tell us who to run and then proceed to trash said candidate?

McCain?

I'd say, pick out whoever the Left attacks the most, and run that one.

The same Wall Street interests that backed Obama in 2008 are now backing Romney for 2012. If Mittens gets elected he'll do the same things Obama did, who is doing the same things Bush did before him.

But uninformed people will think that everything is better because a Republican is in. Bullshit.

Republican vs. Democrat
American League vs. National League
AFC vs. NFC
Eastern Conference vs. Western Conference

Doesn't matter, they're all the same and they're all playing the same game. When they win, we don't get to share in the winnings because we're not the owners. Yeah, sometimes "free agents" change teams, but they're still playing the same game.

• Thanks
Reactions: 007
Around this time in 2007 no one would have expected Obama to be the Democrat candidate let alone President.

But Hillary, Edwards and Obama were all viable candidates who could draw a nationwide coalition. Edwards self destructed and Obama beat Hillary one on one.

Republicans have nobody waiting in the wings

They, like many Democrats, are beholden to the lobbyists & the corps they represent. The conservatives don't seem to mind having the best gov't money can buy though as evidenced by their glee inre: Citizens United.

And Obama just hired a lobbyist as a senior advisor to his campaign. Environmentalists are outraged at this hire.

His name is Broderick Johnson.

Environmentalists are nonetheless seething at the news, even though Johnson won’t be working for the White House in his capacity as a senior campaign adviser to Obama.

“It stinks,” Bill McKibben, an environmentalist who’s spearheaded most of the public protests in the U.S. against the pipeline via TarSandsAction.org, said in a statement.

“I don’t think you could conceive a more elaborate way to disrespect not just the environmental community but also Occupy Wall Street, because this is simply a reminder of the way that corporate lobbyists dominate our politics. Forget ‘Hope and Change’ _ it’s like they want their new slogan to be ‘Business as Usual.’”

Johnson’s resume includes stints in former president Bill Clinton’s White House and work on Sen. John Kerry’s unsuccessful run for president in 2004. His latest career move has prompted his wife, National Public Radio host Michele Norris, to announce she’s taking a temporary leave from her job.

Oh and his wife is with NPR but to her credit she is at least taking a leave of absence so she won't be shilling for her husband and Obama during the 2012 campaign.

Is this the part where the far left whackaloons tell us who to run and then proceed to trash said candidate?

McCain?

Well maybe you could tell us who you think should get the GOP nomination?

Time to run away now

McCain?

The far left mutton heads like the OP creator aren't happy unless they're spreading some kind of lie or distortion. They don't have a legitimate beef, so they make one up. As stupid as most of them are, they're still smart enough to know that any one of the republican candidates will beat the kenyan in a landslide next year. They're scared.

McCain?

The far left mutton heads like the OP creator aren't happy unless they're spreading some kind of lie or distortion. They don't have a legitimate beef, so they make one up. As stupid as most of them are, they're still smart enough to know that any one of the republican candidates will beat the kenyan in a landslide next year. They're scared.

We fully encourage you to run one of your second string loons against our Kenyan.

You will see what the public at large thinks of your GOP candidates

McCain?

We fully encourage you to run one of your second string loons against our Kenyan.

I already picked one. See my sig line, and yes, I can't wait to see what "the public at large" thinks of YOUR kenyan. He'll lose in probably one of the biggest landslides this country has ever seen. He's trashed, NOW, and he's done it to himself with all his radical ideas that have trashed America. People might be stupid, but when they're broke, they blame the President, and that's the kenyan. He will lose, big.

Much of the Republican's problem started when they began to "pander" to the Tea Party. True the True Party helped win then a majority in the House of representatives - but at what cost?

For all intents and purposes, the Tea Party represents a 3rd political party in America and if the Republicans think they can still set the agenda - think again!

I already picked one. See my sig line, and yes, I can't wait to see what "the public at large" thinks of YOUR kenyan. He'll lose in probably one of the biggest landslides this country has ever seen. He's trashed, NOW, and he's done it to himself with all his radical ideas that have trashed America. People might be stupid, but when they're broke, they blame the President, and that's the kenyan. He will lose, big.

Hmmmm...I see you did

If Republicans were to run a Gingrich/ Bachmann slate they would not win a single state in a general election. Think Christine ODonnell in Delaware.

You are a prime example of why the GOP is so fucked up and needs a return to normalcy

You failed to mention Ron Paul, which means this thread is an epic fail.

TV will not promote the candidate that will serve you. TV will only promote the candidate that will best serve there interests. Wake up to the fact that your thoughts are manipulated through the most effective propaganda machine the world has ever seen.

But Hillary, Edwards and Obama were all viable candidates who could draw a nationwide coalition. Edwards self destructed and Obama beat Hillary one on one.

Republicans have nobody waiting in the wings

This maybe the chance Palin was waiting for.

I disagree.

I agree with Newt Gingrich when he said "Every republican canidate would be better than Barack Obama has been"

I thinik Newt, Cain, and Romney are all viable canidates

New Topics

Forum List

Back