The Failure Of Post 9/11 America

bitterlyclingin

Silver Member
Aug 4, 2011
(And just yesterday, the WaPo's E J Dionne advocated that America just "forgeddaboudid" regarding 9/11 remembrances. The lads frolicking in the NYT's all male conga line heartily concur.)

"I was pleasantly surprised when the country came together after 9/11, even though the sense of unity only lasted for a few weeks. I vividly remember commentators confidently stating at the time that the attacks had made America a more serious nation. There was even a theory that “irony was dead.” While no one would want to live in an America devoid of fun and humor, I too saw 9/11 as an opportunity to reverse our national spiral towards silliness.

I now long for the days prior to 9/11, because Americans are even more inane now than we were then. We are more celebrity obsessed, our news media has stopped even pretending to try to educate the masses and our people are less interested in and knowledgeable about current affairs than ever (hence the election and possible re-election of President Obama).

There may be no better proof of this than Tim Pawlenty’s appearance on Comedy Central’s “Colbert Report” this week, where he joked that he considered “shooting sparks up his butt” to get attention in the all-too-entertainment-oriented presidential race he was forced to withdraw from despite being the most electable candidate in the field. Fittingly, few people paid attention to him saying this.

Or, consider that our schools systems have largely abdicated their responsibility to teach students about what happened on 9/11. My wife is a middle-school teacher who each year around 9/11 gives her sixth-graders a short quiz about what happened 10 years ago. The results have never been remotely good and, as you might expect, they get worse each year.

Today, if 10 percent of her students can tell her how many planes were hijacked or which cities were attacked, she is pleasantly surprised. Most of her students don’t even know why the school has a moment of silence every September 11th. Since 9/11 is not on the approved curriculum, she has no expectation that the results of her yearly quiz will do anything but get worse in the future."

Read more: 9/11 | America | The ways post-9/11 America has failed | The Daily Caller

Well what did you expect. Hell we Americans were told to "go shopping" after 9-11......

I don't know if I'd say that our cultural silliness is a failure of post 9/11 America. I think it was a failure of pre 9/11 America as well. 9/11 hasn't effected the culture of America.

And why did anyone really think it would when we did nothing but say "If we change who we are the terrorists have won"? The terrorists only win if we descend into the filth and become the people they accuse us of being.

We are currently in a war. Not a war of violence or even a cold war. But a cultural and spiritual war over our souls. I'm not talking culture war as in "Keep Christmas trees in the Public square" use. Im talking about it as in the collection of choices we are making as a society.

There is only one way to win a culture war of that kind. And thats not through legislation. It's not through the use of force. It's by individuals making up their own mind and making choices that are different then they currently are making.

We as individuals have to make a commitment to eliminate corruption in ouf lives. That is not as easy as it sounds because it means:

1) Choosing to be honest in our conversation and our dealings.
2) Being honest in our work. Working hard
3) Seeking out the truth in all things
4) Taking care of ourselves and our own so that we can be independent
5) Learning the true meaning of charity.
6) Being humble. Eliminating emnity between us and others. Not letting others divide us.

There are countless characteristics, virtues, and basically little things we need to do to change our lives. By doing that we can change our lives, and helping others to do the same we will change the culture around us and around others.

We need to start doing this

(Bay area remembers 9/11 with a "Troofer" festival. How much more of a "far out" San Francisco atmosphere can it possibly have, marijuana smoke, crack pipes and "troofer" talk and movies? San Fran Nan will probably stop by and urge them on in their pursuits. These are the children of the same people who stood on the sidewalks of the Golden Gate Bridge overhead to greet, waving deliriously, at the ships and the sailors of Admiral William F "Bull" Halsey's fleet as they sailed back into harbor after the Japanese surrender?)

Bay Area to Host 9/11 Conspiracy Movie Festival | NBC Bay Area

Quote:
"The terrorists only win if we descend into the filth and become the people they accuse us of being."

America's enemies have deliberately over time employed tactics, so base, so brutal, and so depraved in the hopes that the supposedly 'weak' soldiers of Democracy could not, would not follow them there, thereby granting the enemy victory by default. The captured British Soldiers at Singapore (100,000 Brits surrendered to 30,000 Japanese) February, 1942, were routinely butchered after having their genitals sewed to their lips. If your executioner was a Japanese officer, you were beheaded by the officer's sword. If your executioner happened to be a Japanese enlisted man, you were simply bayoneted to death.

(Michelle Malkin piles on.)

"Are your kids learning the right lessons about 9/11? Ten years after Osama bin Laden’s henchmen murdered thousands of innocents on American soil, too many children have been spoon-fed the thin gruel of progressive political correctness over the stiff antidote of truth.

“Know your enemy, name your enemy” is a 9/11 message that has gone unheeded. Our immigration and homeland security policies refuse to profile jihadi adherents at foreign consular offices and at our borders. Our military leaders refuse to expunge them from uniformed ranks until it’s too late (see: Fort Hood massacre). The j-word is discouraged in Obama intelligence circles, and the term “Islamic extremism” was removed from the U.S. national security strategy document last year.

Similarly, too many teachers refuse to show and tell who the perpetrators of 9/11 were and who their heirs are today. My own daughter was one year old when the Twin Towers collapsed, the Pentagon went up in flames and Shanksville, Pa., became hallowed ground for the brave passengers of United Flight 93. In second grade, her teachers read touchy-feely stories about peace and diversity to honor the 9/11 dead. They whitewashed Osama bin Laden, militant Islam and centuries-old jihad out of the curriculum. Apparently, the youngsters weren’t ready to learn even the most basic information about the evil masterminds of Islamic terrorism.

Mary Beth Hicks, author of the new book “Don’t Let the Kids Drink the Kool-Aid,” points to a recent review of 10 widely used textbooks in which the concepts of jihad and sharia were either watered down or absent. These childhood experts have determined that grade school is too early to delve into the specifics of the homicidal clash of Allah’s sharia-avenging soldiers with the freedom-loving Western world."

Michelle Malkin » All the wrong 9/11 lessons

Forum List

Back