The Failed Trump ‘administration.’

What a Failed Trump Administration Looks Like

“Trump’s White House staff is at war with itself. His poll ratings are falling at unprecedented speed. His policy agenda is stalled. F.B.I. investigations are just beginning. This does not feel like a sustainable operation.

On the other hand, I have trouble seeing exactly how this administration ends. Many of the institutions that would normally ease out or remove a failing president no longer exist.

There are no longer moral arbiters in Congress like Howard Baker and Sam Ervin to lead a resignation or impeachment process. There is no longer a single media establishment that shapes how the country sees the president. This is no longer a country in which everybody experiences the same reality.

Everything about Trump that appalls 65 percent of America strengthens him with the other 35 percent, and he can ride that group for a while. Even after these horrible four weeks, Republicans on Capitol Hill are not close to abandoning their man.

The likelihood is this: We’re going to have an administration that has morally and politically collapsed, without actually going away.”

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/02/17/...ministration-looks-like.html?ref=opinion&_r=0

Brooks is of course spot-on – particularly with regard to a Republican Congress devoid of morality and courage, unwilling to challenge a reckless, irresponsible, and unfit president the likes of Trump, for no other reason than he’s a Republican.
There are no longer moral arbiters in Congress like Howard Baker and Sam Ervin to lead a resignation or impeachment process.
I think Rubio's idealistic enough to try it, if it comes to that.
I'm not sure things are as bad as you think, though. You can look at the current, new administration through a very dark glass, if you wish, but a lot of it is idle gossip with no evidence to back it up. Ladies whispering in the kitchen as they do up the dinner dishes. I haven't heard anything yet that would lead me to believe there's any hope of a valid impeachment. A lot of innuendo and fill-in-the-blank with whatever your fevered imagination can provide.

The Senate Intelligence Committee is still investigating the Russian hacking of the election, and I think that Mitch McConnell is venal enough to toss Trump if he gives him too much trouble, just because he can. I think Paul Ryan will too, but he'll do it for the right reasons. The Old Guard Republicans are giving Trump rope with which to hang himself at this point, and really the Administration has done nothing - not a single policy initiative other than the Immigration EO which has been block by the courts.

I certainly don't hear House Republicans whining about the pace of the confirmation hearings or accusing the Democrats of obstructing their new President's agenda. McConnell paid lip service to criticizing them and then shrugged his shoulders. It's hard to legitimately criticize the opposition for vetting the obviously inappropriate choices they're being sent, when they've been sent so few candidates for confirmation to this point.

In the meantime, Congress and the Senate are going about doing what they've always done. The Budget Committee is putting together the Congressional Budget numbers, but of course can't include appropriations for the President's agenda until he gets off his ass and gets them the numbers for the Wall, the infrastructure he says he's going to build, and his plans for defense.

Bills which promote the Republican Party agenda are being introduced into both Houses and life goes on. Having the Administration in chaos and doing nothing is helpful. Trump's twin obsessions with the media and his own ego keeps the President from obstructing what the Party really wants to do, with or without him.

Forum List

Back