The face of Univision talks about immigration

Angelhair

Aug 22, 2009
Phoenix, Arizona (CNN) -- Jorge Ramos has been the face of Univision's News broadcast for 24 years. The program's estimated audience of more than 2 million viewers exceeds most English language news broadcasts. Ramos is also a best-selling author of 10 books. His latest is "A Country for All: An Immigrant Manifesto."

CNN spoke to him in Phoenix where he was covering Arizona's controversial immigration law, SB1070:

CNN: You came to the United States as an immigrant yourself. What is your story?

Jorge Ramos: Well I was working as a journalist in Mexico, and one day when I was very young out of college they censored one of the stories that I was doing on the president of the country. And back then I was very idealistic -- and I still am -- and I decided to quit. I quit my job in Mexico. I sold my car for $2,000, got a student visa and came to the United States. And it was supposed to be for only one year, that was January 2, 1983, and that year has become 27 years. So this country gave me the opportunities that my country of origin, Mexico, couldn't give me.

CNN: How were you able to stay in this country on a student visa?

JR: The student visa became a work permit. With the work permit I started working as a reporter in Los Angeles and then after being a few years in Los Angeles I became at 28 the anchorman for Univision news.

CNN: You have written 10 books in your time here, often focusing on Latinos. But why immigration? Why now?

JR: It's a book on the urgent need to have immigration reform. As we can see what happened in Arizona [the overturning of parts of SB 1070] it's a step in the right direction for Latinos and immigrants, but it's simply not enough. Things are exactly the same as two weeks ago or two months ago or two years ago or even 20 years ago because we still have 11 million people in the U.S. without any rights whatsoever. It's really incredible that the most powerful country in the world is treating 11 million people as second-class citizens or second-class human beings.

CNN: You're getting a lot of criticism with this book not for criticizing the conservatives who are targeting immigrants, rather for accusing President Obama of breaking a campaign promise. Please explain this.

JR: Yea, when Barack Obama was running for president he told Univision in an interview that he was going to have an immigration bill during his first year in office. It was an important promise because back then Barack Obama was trying to the get the Democratic nomination against Hilary Clinton. Hillary Clinton had promised that she was going to do it during the first 100 days. Anyway, Latinos believed Barack Obama; 67 percent of Latinos voted for Barack Obama and at the end President Barack Obama didn't keep his promise. He broke a promise.

So, Obama broke his promise, Democrats don't have the political will to push for immigration reform right now and Republicans are missing in action during immigration. Nobody is really doing anything for immigrants right now.

The face of Univision talks about immigration - CNN.com

I rest my case.........

This was my favorite:

'JR: I don't think honestly that the Republican Party is listening to them. The Republican Party has to make peace with Latinos, otherwise they're going to keep on losing election after election after election. Latinos will become the majority in this country in less than 100 years. We won't be here to see it, but without the Hispanic vote, no one can make it to the White House. If Republicans don't make peace with Latinos, Texas is going to become a blue state and Republicans are going to keep on losing elections. They don't get the fact that immigration is the most important symbolic issue for Latinos. Other issues are more important jobs, education, health care, but immigration is the most important issue. If Republicans don't get it, they are going to keep on losing the Hispanic vote.'

I'm telling you, with this type of mentality do you wonder why most latino countries have failed??? He really believes that the hispanic vote will be ALL that counts in less than 100 yrs????? Does he really believe his own rhetoric? So he is saying that ALL those latinos will vote against repubs??? Dumb, dumb, dumb......

True a few blacks vote republican in recent years.
ALL of those latinos will not vote against republicans, just the vast majority.

This was my favorite:

'JR: I don't think honestly that the Republican Party is listening to them. The Republican Party has to make peace with Latinos, otherwise they're going to keep on losing election after election after election. Latinos will become the majority in this country in less than 100 years. We won't be here to see it, but without the Hispanic vote, no one can make it to the White House. If Republicans don't make peace with Latinos, Texas is going to become a blue state and Republicans are going to keep on losing elections. They don't get the fact that immigration is the most important symbolic issue for Latinos. Other issues are more important jobs, education, health care, but immigration is the most important issue. If Republicans don't get it, they are going to keep on losing the Hispanic vote.'

I'm telling you, with this type of mentality do you wonder why most latino countries have failed??? He really believes that the hispanic vote will be ALL that counts in less than 100 yrs????? Does he really believe his own rhetoric? So he is saying that ALL those latinos will vote against repubs??? Dumb, dumb, dumb......

He sounds like a racist to me.

Forum List

Back