The Expansion of the Universe

BONA FIDE

Rookie
Jun 19, 2008
The Expansion of the Universe

In the Qur’an, which was revealed 14 centuries ago at a time when the science of astronomy was still primitive, the expansion of the universe was described like this:

( And it is We who have constructed the heaven with might, and verily, it is We who are steadily expanding it.) (Surat adh-Dhariyat: 47)

The word “heaven”, as stated in this verse, is used in various places in the Qur’an with the meaning of space and universe. Here again, the word is used with this meaning. In other words, in the Qur’an, it is communicated that the universe “expands”.

And this is the very conclusion that science has reached today.

Until the dawn of the 20th century, the only view prevailing in the world of science was that “the universe has a constant nature and it has existed since infinite time”. The research, observations, and calculations carried out by means of modern technology, however, revealed that the universe in fact had a beginning and that it constantly expands.

At the beginning of the 20th century, the Russian physicist Alexander Friedmann and the Belgian cosmologist Georges Lemaitre theoretically calculated that the universe is in constant motion and that it is expanding.

This fact was proved also by observational data in 1929. While observing the sky with a telescope, Edwin Hubble, the American astronomer, discovered that the stars and galaxies were constantly moving away from each other. A universe where everything constantly moves away from each other implied a constantly expanding universe. The observations carried out in the following years verified that the universe constantly expands. This fact was explained in the Qur’an when it was yet unknown by anyone. This is because the Qur’an is the word of God, the Creator, and the Ruler of the entire universe.

ww.55a.net/firas/english

(And it is We who have constructed the heaven with might, and verily, it is We who are steadily expanding it.) (Surat adh-Dhariyat: 47)

*** Well, that is tricky. We may be expanding on our reality, without expanding the universe... what is the actual meaning of that line? It sort of implies Allah made heaven, but made it too small and changed his mind about the dimensions... which would be odd for a perfect being to make a mistake like that - measure twice, cut once as they say.

Plus, the universe has the same amount of matter it did when it started, non?
SO, it may be 'expanding' but it isn't really getting larger...

وَٱلسَّمَآءَ بَنَيْنَٰهَا بِأَيْي۟دٍۢ وَإِنَّا لَمُوسِعُونَ

Very roughly:

"And the heaven (or universe/sky/space,) We raised (or built) it with might (or support,) and We are expanders (or spreaders/makers) of the vastness (or expanse)"

Last edited:
*** Well, that is tricky. We may be expanding on our reality, without expanding the universe... what is the actual meaning of that line? It sort of implies Allah made heaven, but made it too small and changed his mind about the dimensions... which would be odd for a perfect being to make a mistake like that - measure twice, cut once as they say.

I think that it can be inferred that it was intended for the universe to expand as it does, making it finite.

muzzies still think we're in the year1200, you're a total joke with your scraggly beards and (usually dirty) laundry on your head. Muzzies are still trying to figure out how the sun gets back on the east side every morning.

I am not sure you realize we arent in the year 1200. You're posts demonstrate a lack of refinement and intelligence with the way you speak and trash others. We live in the 21st century. At least the people in the 13th century would treat each other respectful and try to dialogue.

I see no evidence that you are any better than someone who lived 8 centuries ago. You wouldnt be where you are today without them, yet given what you were given, they could have accomplished alot more than you ever will.

You fucking better believe I'm waaaaayyyyy better than a fucking towelhead who beats his 4 wives and worships a pedophile. Then kills over cartoons. Hell, even cockroaches aren't as obnoxious as muzzies. And don't stink nearly half as much.

There is your problem then. You arent better than anyone. No one is better than anyone else.

I dont really see much difference in your attitude then the one who kills over a cartoon.

I object to the expanding universe.

I happen to think it's quite large enough already.

I believe that it might behoove Congress to pass a law limiting the expanding universe before it's so big it becomes completely unmanagable.

Just think of the zip codes we might save by doing so.

I think that it can be inferred that it was intended for the universe to expand as it does, making it finite.

Inferring is tricky too... like discussing an email's "tone" when the author is not around.

Forum List

Back