The 'evil empire' is next door

Originally posted by Isaac Brock
That is true. Beyond the some somewhat dubious CBC circa-1910 east coast dramas, Canada puts out good stuff, but you're right there is no budget. If we had the budgets of the NBC, CBS, FOX etc, perhaps we'd be singing a different tune.

Curious. Who pays for the Network stations? An individual, a corporation or the government?

That is true. Beyond the some somewhat dubious CBC circa-1910 east coast dramas, Canada puts out good stuff, but you're right there is no budget. If we had the budgets of the NBC, CBS, FOX etc, perhaps we'd be singing a different tune.

Ok, Ok, I used to love Degrassi Junior High when I was in high school. I'm pretty sure I enjoyed Ann of Green Gables (the made for tv movies) too.:D I have to agree, with the budget problem. There is the possiblilty of changing this since producers may have to rely more on private industry to finance (at least in part) some productions. More money may provide for better productions.

Originally posted by Said1
Prolly should've started a new thread with this subject. :D

Sorry about that :)

I did see the Anne of Green Gables mini series. It was really good. And I'm not sure, but was Highlander a Canadian production? LOVED that show.

It' s a endless circle. You don't get a budget unless people watch, people don't watch unless you have a budget. It is reliant on population, we don't have the pop to have media like the states, we should try and find our niche, and stick with it.

Originally posted by MrMarbles
It' s a endless circle. You don't get a budget unless people watch, people don't watch unless you have a budget. It is reliant on population, we don't have the pop to have media like the states, we should try and find our niche, and stick with it.

I don't really see how that's relevant in the long run. Soliciting private industry for extra money would IMPROVE the quality of productions, attracting more people. If it's simply a niche CBC should be in pursuit of (I don't disagree with you on that BTW), extra funding would only aid in finding and investing in the right productions right?

Originally posted by BlueGin
Sorry about that :)

I did see the Anne of Green Gables mini series. It was really good. And I'm not sure, but was Highlander a Canadian production? LOVED that show.

No problem, many posts take interesting twists and turns. :D As for Highlander - sounds familiar, haven't seen it.

Ann of Greengables was turned into a weekly program. I think that might be the East Coast program Isaac Brock mentioned. I can't say I watched that one either. :D

I don't really see how that's relevant in the long run. Soliciting private industry for extra money would IMPROVE the quality of productions, attracting more people. If it's simply a niche CBC should be in pursuit of (I don't disagree with you on that BTW), extra funding would only aid in finding and investing in the right productions right?

It would. Shows and networks make money through advetising primarily. Advertisers are not going to pay big bucks for small ratings. Shows in the states can get audiences the size of Canada. Advertisers will not pay for a share of a possible 35 mil viewer pie. Not when shows from the States who get money dependant on a 300 mil viewer pie.

It would. Shows and networks make money through advetising primarily. Advertisers are not going to pay big bucks for small ratings. Shows in the states can get audiences the size of Canada. Advertisers will not pay for a share of a possible 35 mil viewer pie. Not when shows from the States who get money dependant on a 300 mil viewer pie.

Wheres the funding come from? Who pays for it?

I think I agree with Marbles it's cyclical. Consider this if you will:

Few people watch existing Canadian content. Why? Because despite the aforementionned exceptions and perhaps a few others, Canadian shows are underfunded. Now the level of funding require to raise the technical and in many cases brute force writing and directing quality of Canadian shows to US standards would be X amount of money.

Now consider the profits for government (CBC and many filming agencies are Crown corporations) and private broadcasters. Based on their investment of X money and given that Canadian television is supposed to appeal more to a Canadian audience you have approx. 1/10th the viewers and hence 1/10th the profit Y.

Now shows of course can be exported, but then we have to look at why we want to have our shows in the first place is to appeal to our culture. Canadian shows copy-catting US style media would not be effective in Canadian program, but rather an export product. Of course there will always be exceptions, but I think that holds true enough.

So then what's easier for a private broadcaster? Licensing a US made program for a fraction of X making a profit Y or making our own Canadian content that will cost X and make profit Y (assumingly)? Therein lies the problem and the reason that we can never axe the CBC.

No problem, many posts take interesting twists and turns. :D As for Highlander - sounds familiar, haven't seen it.

Ann of Greengables was turned into a weekly program. I think that might be the East Coast program Isaac Brock mentioned. I can't say I watched that one either. :D

Road to Avonlea :sleep:

That was exactly the sleeper circa 1900 to 1920's show I was talking about. However, it was beloved culturally by older Canadians. Enough that they have many seasons.

P.S. Highlander was partly-Canadian. It was US-run, but often shot in Canada (Vancouver) with Canadian actors and actresses

Gov't and companys

Does the government fund any Networks in America? NO. At least not through government spending. Privately senators or reps might pledge contributions.

Perhaps its because of the fact that its a business run by companies looking to improve the quality of their product in order to differentiate themselves from the competition that allows American TV to reach the audience that it does. Better quality product leads to better viewing audiences. More people watching means more ad revenue. More Ad revenue means better quality programs. Capitalism in motion.

Originally posted by insein
Does the government fund any Networks in America? NO. At least not through government spending. Privately senators or reps might pledge contributions.

Perhaps its because of the fact that its a business run by companies looking to improve the quality of their product in order to differentiate themselves from the competition that allows American TV to reach the audience that it does. Better quality product leads to better viewing audiences. More people watching means more ad revenue. More Ad revenue means better quality programs. Capitalism in motion.

But going back to the original premise, I believe you're missing the thesis I believe both of us are supporting.

A person asked, why do we complain about US TV and it's because we cannot support the TV that we want. As you described, the economics cannot give us the same amount of TV that the US produces. Hences, we have the bombardment effect I described. Capitalism, barring a cultural miracle (ie US sudden interest in Canadian culture making homegrown TV acceptible at home and abroad), cannot overcome the US influence in a global media context.

Canadians do have a greater apathy for TV than our US counterparts and I believe that is a part of this. The average Canadian watches 21.4 hours of TV a week. The average American watches 28 hours of TV a week. Though I cannot say this is a direct result, I certainly believe the idea does have merit.

Media is a part of our culture and I believe for a country with such strong US influences, it is important that we do have an outlet for our culture in a wave of Americanism. I'll support anyday our national-public network because it does give us those Canadian shows that we would not normally see. Of the 6 CDN shows I showed as liking, 4 were funded by the CBC. And for that, I am thankful.

P.S. How could I forget Kids in the Hall! Very Canadian. Very Good. Also from the CBC.

Source:
http://www.csun.edu/~vceed002/health/docs/tv&health.html
http://www.media-awareness.ca/engli...s/statistics/television/tv_viewing_habits.cfm

But going back to the original premise, I believe you're missing the thesis I believe both of us are supporting.

A person asked, why do we complain about US TV and it's because we cannot support the TV that we want. As you described, the economics cannot give us the same amount of TV that the US produces. Hences, we have the bombardment effect I described. Capitalism, barring a cultural miracle (ie US sudden interest in Canadian culture making homegrown TV acceptible at home and abroad), cannot overcome the US influence in a global media context.

Canadians do have a greater apathy for TV than our US counterparts and I believe that is a part of this. The average Canadian watches 21.4 hours of TV a week. The average American watches 28 hours of TV a week. Though I cannot say this is a direct result, I certainly believe the idea does have merit.

Media is a part of our culture and I believe for a country with such strong US influences, it is important that we do have an outlet for our culture in a wave of Americanism. I'll support anyday our national-public network because it does give us those Canadian shows that we would not normally see. Of the 6 CDN shows I showed as liking, 4 were funded by the CBC. And for that, I am thankful.

P.S. How could I forget Kids in the Hall! Very Canadian. Very Good. Also from the CBC.

Source:
http://www.csun.edu/~vceed002/health/docs/tv&health.html
http://www.media-awareness.ca/engli...s/statistics/television/tv_viewing_habits.cfm

KITH was hillarious. Wasn't Red Dwarf a canadian show?

Originally posted by insein
KITH was hillarious. Wasn't Red Dwarf a canadian show?

Red Dwarf was English, i believe.

It dosen't matter who pays for the TV made in Canada, we do not have the population to support larg big budget shows like the states. We are capitalist, private sector does pay for advertising, but again, why pay more for less.

Red Dwarf was English, i believe.

It dosen't matter who pays for the TV made in Canada, we do not have the population to support larg big budget shows like the states. We are capitalist, private sector does pay for advertising, but again, why pay more for less.

True.

Forum List

Back