The 'evil empire' is next door

Originally posted by Kathianne
Issac, I will admit to being annoyed and for that reason lashing out, I apologize. :hail: Now, I hear what you're saying, but I disagree with what the administration and Canada, through the elected leader at that time did. The administration's problems had little to do with your stance in Iraq, moreso the Cretin factor, I know the spelling. ;)

The reason the citizenry here, to some degree, have a problem with Canada-which is NOWHERE near the problem with France-has to do with security issues and a fake superiority on the part of some Canadian articles in papers, more than Canadians as a group.

Apology accepted, thank you. :)

While there certainly was opposition from Chretien, the popular support for his decision was also very high. The way he delt with it was admittedly questionable, but I suppose then again it did go both ways.

I have to say though if the greatest problems the US has with Canada is security (which we can work on) and fake superiority, than I think we're not in such a bad shape over the long term afterall. :beer:

Originally posted by Isaac Brock
Apology accepted, thank you. :)

While there certainly was opposition from Chretien, the popular support for his decision was also very high. The way he delt with it was admittedly questionable, but I suppose then again it did go both ways.

I have to say though if the greatest problems the US has with Canada is security (which we can work on) and fake superiority, than I think we're not in such a bad shape over the long term afterall. :beer:

Agreed. :beer: , but you're still wrong! :laugh: :rotflmao: :rotflmao:

Originally posted by MrMarbles
Prior, to 9/11, your own gov't said that Iraq was not a threat, and did not have WMD's.

Since there is plenty of evidence to prove you wrong already on this board, how about you supply evidence that supports your claim instead of spouting off lies.

Tough. Try not to create an atmosphere that will spread animosity towards you, e.g. agrressive foreign policy all about the money. Just remember, viloence begets violence.

How is negotiating through the UN for Iraq to disarm for 13 years agressive? I call that Ludicrously patient. And again with the money claims. Who has profitted directly from our liberating Iraq? The Iraqi People have. They have gained freedom and their country back. We have gained safety in that a despotic dictator has been removed from a position where he can spread weapons to terrorists that are then used against us. I don't think you can place a value on that. So if you don't have proof of money being exchanged, again don't spread lies.

What haven't we learnt. I've studied history, alot, to much maybe. And the actions in Iraq, do not resemble WW2 Germany. Germany started a world war in the name of self-preservation. Iraq was contained and under control.

Perhaps you didn't pay attention to the part where Hitler invaded smaller neighboring countries because he said it was German land. Sounds a little similar to Saddam invading Kuwait because he said it was Iraqi land. Saddam was removed from Kuwait and told to disarm in 1991. He had provided no proof that he had disarmed after 13 years so we went ahead and removed him. If you call allowing the UN to syphon money off of a murderous dictator with the cost being millions of Iraqi citizens dead "control" then i think you need to reread the definition of the word.

Perhaps you didn't pay attention to the part where Hitler invaded smaller neighboring countries because he said it was German land. Sounds a little similar to Saddam invading Kuwait because he said it was Iraqi land. Saddam was removed from Kuwait and told to disarm in 1991. He had provided no proof that he had disarmed after 13 years so we went ahead and removed him. If you call allowing the UN to syphon money off of a murderous dictator with the cost being millions of Iraqi citizens dead "control" then i think you need to reread the definition of the word.

Well, first Germany occupies the rhineland (Mar7. 1936), then Austria (Mar 12 1938). The first one was German land, right of them to do so, no, their land, yes. The second was a germanic country in alot of trouble. The came Czechoslovakia, the invasion was for the good of the German people, apparently. More for he industry, and arms factories, essentila to germany, a lot like the oil fields of iraq. Then cam Poland (Sep 1939), which was made in the guise of protection, alot like iraq. Theres your lesson for today.

Well, first Germany occupies the rhineland (Mar7. 1936), then Austria (Mar 12 1938). The first one was German land, right of them to do so, no, their land, yes. The second was a germanic country in alot of trouble. The came Czechoslovakia, the invasion was for the good of the German people, apparently. More for he industry, and arms factories, essentila to germany, a lot like the oil fields of iraq. Then cam Poland (Sep 1939), which was made in the guise of protection, alot like iraq. Theres your lesson for today.

Where is your evidence that America did not attempt diplomatic methods to disarm Iraq ? You have none because there is none.
Now you try to compare America to Nazi Germany? What is it that you're so afraid of that you have to trash America with lies like this ? Have we threatened Canada ? Are you worried we will attack Canada ? Canada is not being linked to the action taken by the United States. Whats' the problem ??

Originally posted by dilloduck
Where is your evidence that America did not attempt diplomatic methods to disarm Iraq ? You have none because there is none.
Now you try to compare America to Nazi Germany? What is it that you're so afraid of that you have to trash America with lies like this ? Have we threatened Canada ? Are you worried we will attack Canada ? Canada is not being linked to the action taken by the United States. Whats' the problem ??

Settle down.....

Just argueing history here. I did't say America was Nazi Germany. Libs were attack, and it read
Apparently hindsight is less than 20-20 in your case specifically and in the case of many Canadians as well as liberal idiots here in the US. If hindsight was as good as you claim, then why is it that SO MANY OF YOU LIBERALS ARE TOTALLY UNABLE TO LEARN ANYTHING FROM IT?????????

I'm afraid of an overzealous America, one that might not no where to draw the line.

Settle down.....

Just argueing history here. I did't say America was Nazi Germany. Libs were attack, and it read

I'm afraid of an overzealous America, one that might not no where to draw the line.

thanks for the answer but I'm not sure which line you are talking about and not sure we are the only ones in control of it.

Well, first Germany occupies the rhineland (Mar7. 1936), then Austria (Mar 12 1938). The first one was German land, right of them to do so, no, their land, yes. The second was a germanic country in alot of trouble. The came Czechoslovakia, the invasion was for the good of the German people, apparently. More for he industry, and arms factories, essentila to germany, a lot like the oil fields of KUWAIT. Then cam Poland (Sep 1939), which was made in the guise of protection, alot like iran. Theres your lesson for today.

There had to change that for you to make it correct for what Saddam was doing.

Your right, it does work with Saddam as well as with Bush.

Annnngggttt Wrong!!! Try again dumbass.

Germany took the lands and claimed them as their own. Iraq took Kuwait and claimed it as its Own. The US invaded Iraq, removed a despotic leader who threatened us and our allies and then returned the nation to its people. Iraq is now Iraq not the 51st state of the US.

For a history major you sure have a lack of knowledge on it.

Originally posted by insein
Annnngggttt Wrong!!! Try again dumbass.

Germany took the lands and claimed them as their own. Iraq took Kuwait and claimed it as its Own. The US invaded Iraq, removed a despotic leader who threatened us and our allies and then returned the nation to its people. Iraq is now Iraq not the 51st state of the US.

For a history major you sure have a lack of knowledge on it.
Iraq not the 51st state? They have the same amount of autonomy as Alaska. Soverign, my ass!

Iraq not the 51st state? They have the same amount of autonomy as Alaska. Soverign, my ass!

Finally the truth comes out. Ok Alaska IS A state of our Great Nation. They are part of a whole. As is Hawaii.

Have we received taxes from Iraqi citizens to the US government? No. So then i beleive that they are their own nation. Those that don't feel Alawi is an independant leader had better do their homework. He was picked to be a man of the people of Iraq. He is by no means a puppet. In either case, it will be the Iraqi citizens choice come January anyway. A full 9 years ahaead of Germany and Japan's first elections i might add.

Going along the premise that Iraq is a US territory is a foolhardy approach. You will find no credible evidence out their to support your claim.

Not to change the subject but...

Canadian teens drive me bonkers. (well, I doubt they are all teens but still.) Every single message board for American TV and American Soap Operas (shut up) that I visit are flooded with Canadian's who watch our shows,but do they just want to talk about the shows in question? No. Every last one of them has to break in with political garbage that trashes our government,country,way of life,people etc etc etc. It's totally annoying. I want to reach through the computer and smack them upside the head and tell them,If you hate the USA so much stop watching our shows and visiting our Soap Opera/Sitcom message boards just to piss us off. And while your at it go mind your own elections and stop telling ME who to vote for in MY OWN country.

That is all.....

*rant over* :p:

Originally posted by BlueGin

Canadian teens drive me bonkers. (well, I doubt they are all teens but still.) Every single message board for American TV and American Soap Operas (shut up) that I visit are flooded with Canadian's who watch our shows,but do they just want to talk about the shows in question? No. Every last one of them has to break in with political garbage that trashes our government,country,way of life,people etc etc etc. It's totally annoying. I want to reach through the computer and smack them upside the head and tell them,If you hate the USA so much stop watching our shows and visiting our Soap Opera/Sitcom message boards just to piss us off. And while your at it go mind your own elections and stop telling ME who to vote for in MY OWN country.

That is all.....

That's really funny since Canadian television REALLY sucks :D(special exceptions made for Traders and Trailor Park Boys, oh, and Much Music).

That is all.....

While ideally that seems like a reasonable solution, the truth is that American media ownership has entrenched itself in Canadian television, especially cable. Why it may seem easy to simply switch to Canadian content, our airwaves are filled with shows placed there by American TV owners or as pressure by US advertizers who control many sectors of the Canadian retail economy.

The reality is that the US owns the TV airwaves and we are bombarded with American media and culture.

Canada TV does, however, have some excellent shows that stand on their own:
This Hour has 22 Minutes, La Petite Vie, the cartoon Undergrads, Hockey Night in Canada, Trailer Park Boys, Red Green and probably some of the best kids shows around.

While ideally that seems like a reasonable solution, the truth is that American media ownership has entrenched itself in Canadian television, especially cable. Why it may seem easy to simply switch to Canadian content, our airwaves are filled with shows placed there by American TV owners or as pressure by US advertizers who control many sectors of the Canadian retail economy.

The reality is that the US owns the TV airwaves and we are bombarded with American media and culture.

Canada TV does, however, have some excellent shows that stand on their own:
This Hour has 22 Minutes, La Petite Vie, the cartoon Undergrads, Hockey Night in Canada, Trailer Park Boys, Red Green and probably some of the best kids shows around.

You make a good point. CBC has seriously cut back funding for new programs and such, leaving Canadian stations with little to pick from. Would there be enough Canandian programs to fill 24 hours, 7 days a week? Station owners could always dust off reels of "The Beechcombers" or "Danger Bay" if the need arose. :D

I can't believe I forgot "this hour has 22 minutes!!!" - I love the Quints (although, probably too anti-American for this crowd, especially Rick Mercer). Air Farce has it's moments too.:D Thankfully, Mike Bullard has been axed :D

That is all.....

Prolly should've started a new thread with this subject. :D

Living proof there is a God! What were we thinking? :D

Wrong topic but,

Canadian entertainments biggest problem is population. We don't have the people to watch are shows, yet we compare ourselves to the American media empire. We can't, they are two different entities. It's a shame, Canadian stuff tends to rule, if it isn't to weird to understand.

Wrong topic but,

Canadian entertainments biggest problem is population. We don't have the people to watch are shows, yet we compare ourselves to the American media empire. We can't, they are two different entities. It's a shame, Canadian stuff tends to rule, if it isn't to weird to understand.

That is true. Beyond the some somewhat dubious CBC circa-1910 east coast dramas, Canada puts out good stuff, but you're right there is no budget. If we had the budgets of the NBC, CBS, FOX etc, perhaps we'd be singing a different tune.

Forum List

Back