The Every Other Path But Christian Thread

Metaphors for emptiness include, that it's like a dream, mirage, echo, illusion, magical display.

Actually, it's also referred to in Taoist beliefs Sky.

Nothing gave birth to the 10,000 things.

I don't know much about Taoism, ABS. What's tricky in discussing "emptiness" is that it ISN"T nothingness.

That would be nihilism. Which Buddhism rejects as an "extreme view". Similarly, Buddhism rejects eternalism, as another "extreme view".
The Four Extremes, are nihilism, eternalism, both and neither. All rejected.

Quick question............why do Buddhists reject eternalism, when the very focus of their practice is to become a Buddha and re-join the original energy? Wouldn't doing something like that be akin to becoming eternal?

Actually, it's also referred to in Taoist beliefs Sky.

Nothing gave birth to the 10,000 things.

I don't know much about Taoism, ABS. What's tricky in discussing "emptiness" is that it ISN"T nothingness.

That would be nihilism. Which Buddhism rejects as an "extreme view". Similarly, Buddhism rejects eternalism, as another "extreme view".
The Four Extremes, are nihilism, eternalism, both and neither. All rejected.

Quick question............why do Buddhists reject eternalism, when the very focus of their practice is to become a Buddha and re-join the original energy? Wouldn't doing something like that be akin to becoming eternal?
Eternalism is considered an extreme view. If you examine the universe, you see it's all impermanent.

Love the thread title.... it's a "No Christianity Allowed" thread.... what a loving attitude from the resident Christian Hater.

I'm trying to give Christians here space and still explore spirituality. It wasn't meant to be unkind.

Most Christians here prefer I leave them alone. I wanted a thread I could post in without dealing with Christians who want me to bug off anyway. I don't want to fight with Christians. I think it's best we leave each other alone.

999% of all threads in the Religion Forum are about Christianity. Is it that big a deal that we have a thread once and awhile that doesn't?

Before I got into Buddhism, I explored Hinduism, Taoism, Mystic Judaism, Ba'ahi and a few other paths.

I'd like to talk to people who want to discuss religion OTHER THAN Christianity, for a change.
boy... that explains a lot. Oh well, have fun. Maybe you'll finally feel safe here. Don't worry, I won't be back.

Love the thread title.... it's a "No Christianity Allowed" thread.... what a loving attitude from the resident Christian Hater.

I'm trying to give Christians here space and still explore spirituality. It wasn't meant to be unkind.

Most Christians here prefer I leave them alone. I wanted a thread I could post in without dealing with Christians who want me to bug off anyway. I don't want to fight with Christians. I think it's best we leave each other alone.

999% of all threads in the Religion Forum are about Christianity. Is it that big a deal that we have a thread once and awhile that doesn't?

Before I got into Buddhism, I explored Hinduism, Taoism, Mystic Judaism, Ba'ahi and a few other paths.

I'd like to talk to people who want to discuss religion OTHER THAN Christianity, for a change.
boy... that explains a lot. Oh well, have fun. Maybe you'll finally feel safe here. Don't worry, I won't be back.

Good. Take care.

Good. Take care.
Original energy is thus also transient?

Good. Take care.

Hmm, you missed me on that one. What do you mean?
Sailors post:
why do Buddhists reject eternalism, when the very focus of their practice is to become a Buddha and re-join the original energy? Wouldn't doing something like that be akin to becoming eternal?

Hmm, you missed me on that one. What do you mean?
Sailors post:
why do Buddhists reject eternalism, when the very focus of their practice is to become a Buddha and re-join the original energy? Wouldn't doing something like that be akin to becoming eternal?
I'd love to answer, but this part of it gets very subtle.

Eternalism is considered an extreme view. If you examine the universe, you see it's all impermanent.

One must start with the idea that time is an absolute reality in order to come to that conclusion. Time is a matter of perspective. So is reality. Both require the existence of, at minimum, Two: an actor and an acted upon, or a perceiver and a perceived. Merge the Two into One, and what is perceived/experienced is not One, but None -- or emptiness in the Buddha's view.

And yet for me, the idea that this One/None is the primary reality and all the rest an error does not sit well. Just as time and reality require Two (or more), so does love. The One is divided, and so the universe exists, for love's sake.

One must start with the idea that time is an absolute reality in order to come to that conclusion. Time is a matter of perspective. So is reality. Both require the existence of, at minimum, Two: an actor and an acted upon, or a perceiver and a perceived. Merge the Two into One, and what is perceived/experienced is not One, but None -- or emptiness in the Buddha's view.

And yet for me, the idea that this One/None is the primary reality and all the rest an error does not sit well. Just as time and reality require Two (or more), so does love. The One is divided, and so the universe exists, for love's sake.

You won't find the place beyond the four extremes in concepts.

Forum List

Back