The Ethics of "Old Money"

Discussion in 'Religion and Ethics' started by AVG-JOE, Aug 19, 2018.

1. AVG-JOE

AVG-JOE American Mutt Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +9,229

Since the 15th Century?!? :eusa_eh:

Nice! :thup: Color me highly impressed by the success of your lineage at the game of "Survival of The Most Fit".

Assuming 500 years of a necessary amount of hard work, luck, greed, exploitation and corruption involved in the acquisition and maintenance of such wealth over the generations, I can't help but wonder how the history of your family affects your feelings of responsibility at managing your family's treasure today.

First comparison that comes to mind is the British Royal Family.

If asked to vote on whether or not they do enough to spread the wealth that their family acquired as a direct result of Feudal Europe and Colonialism, and all the cruel bullshit that those words entail, my vote would have to be a "no".

`

2. AVG-JOE

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +9,229
    Does the history of 'Old Money' owe anything to the present?

3. BreezeWood

BreezeWood VIP Member Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +750

we don't volunteer what we consider a family duty ... which is serve in our nations military -

and if it were the people's liberation army ... maintaining the status quo throughout history has been a primary impediment against evil within humanity's societies and most often than not, not worthy to volunteer for.

4. AVG-JOE

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +9,229

Their chief opponents were the vested interests of traditional society; the aristocracy, the clergy, and the military, seeking to retain their favored positions. The peasantry was still generally conservative, strongly influenced by the clergy and sometimes by the aristocracy, and not very active in politics.

If nothing else, history shows that who or what a soldier serves is at least as important as their individual deeds, whether they be destructive or constructive in service objective.

*Quote clipped from: Disgusted With Conservatism, America Was Born Liberal.

5. ding

ding Confront reality

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +17,279
    You know as I read your explanation for how a family can amass and maintain wealth I was amazed that there was only one positive attribute for your belief in how they were able to do so.

I'm wondering if this is how you see your success in life too. Or if you see your success in a more positive light. If so, how is it that you don't see the success of others in the same positive light?