The Ethics of Capital Punishment

What would happen to Jarvis if it was up to just YOU?

He would be taken off Death Row and put into the general population, unless he wins his appeal for a new trial and is found innocent. Then he should be released.
Do you believe Jarvis is innocent?

I don't feel his sentence was just. The guy who actually stabbed and killed the prison guard got LWOP as well as the guy who ordered the hit.

Whether Jarvis did or did not actually sharpen the shiv isn't clear to me. His story is plausible. He claims that he was mean enough to do it, was willing to do, but didn't actually do it because he couldn't work fast enough.

It sounds like he agreed to create the shiv and then was fired from it, so he didn't actually create the weapon, but he would have and could have.

Last edited:
What I don't agree with, is what has happened in the UK. People get released. LWOP should mean just that.

It goes back to an era when convicts weren't expected to live as long as our life sentence (25 years). Only the Home Secretary has the authority place a full life tariff (no possibility of release) on an inmate. And he or she often does in extreme cases. But they're often prevented from doing so after the inmate approaches the European Court of Human Rights who take a dim view of what they consider draconian conditions in British prisons as opposed to the holiday camps you're likely to find elsewhere in the EU.

It's time we changed that. But I don't support the death penalty. I can't remember how many times that I've stressed on this board that the UK needs to implement measures found in the US penal system. I'd like to see us adopt a version of your Supermax facilities like ADX Florence in Colorado. We were close to commissioning the construction of three Titan class prisons in 2006 on the remote Outer Hebrides of the coast of Scotland but Brussels vetoed it. We need to fully reclaim our sovereignty before we can even contemplate considering overhauling our penal system - which is close to full.

I won't comment any further on this thread. Take it easy, Ropey.

Fine. Like I said, I don't need to comment on Syrenn's views of the DP anymore.

Friends disagree. Syrenn and I disagree passionately on many topics.

True, friends disagree.

What you are doing though is lying about what i said, misrepresenting what i said and putting it out there without context or in link back quotes.

Then presenting what you assume as fact... and then assigning blood lust to it.

And for that, if I misunderstood you, I apologize. I will no longer comment on your views of capital punishment.

Well that didn't last long. :rofl:

I won't comment any further on this thread. Take it easy, Ropey.

True, friends disagree.

What you are doing though is lying about what i said, misrepresenting what i said and putting it out there without context or in link back quotes.

And for that, if I misunderstood you, I apologize. I will no longer comment on your views of capital punishment.

Well that didn't last long. :rofl:

And was a qualified failure....

If Sky misunderstood? :doubt:

@ Sky Dancer

Did you misunderstand?

Fine. Like I said, I don't need to comment on Syrenn's views of the DP anymore.

Friends disagree. Syrenn and I disagree passionately on many topics.

True, friends disagree.

Comment all you want sky, just don't lie about what i am saying, thinking or feeling by misrepresenting it.

I told you
Si told you
Del told you
Ropey told you
Everyone told you.....and you still continued on.

You sorta quoted me with half quotes without context.....and to do that you had to re read the thread...and you still continued on.

Do try working on your birthday aspirations sky.

True, friends disagree.

Comment all you want sky, just don't lie about what i am saying, thinking or feeling by misrepresenting it.

I told you
Si told you
Del told you
Ropey told you

You sorta quoted me with half quotes without context.....and to do that you had to re read the thread...and you still continued on.

Thank you for your criticism and the reminder about my birthday aspirations. I continue to work on my aspirations. I do not go to the Flame Zone, I have stopped commenting on the topics of homosexuality or Christianity. I am taking care to not swallow anyone's bait and retaliate when attacked.

I apologize for misunderstanding your intent. I am working on making my speech less negative. I'm not perfect. I am working on it.

I have agreed to stop posting on this thread.

Last edited:
He would be taken off Death Row and put into the general population, unless he wins his appeal for a new trial and is found innocent. Then he should be released.
Do you believe Jarvis is innocent?

I don't feel his sentence was just. The guy who actually stabbed and killed the prison guard got LWOP as well as the guy who ordered the hit.

Whether Jarvis did or did not actually sharpen the shiv isn't clear to me. His story is plausible. He claims that he was mean enough to do it, was willing to do, but didn't actually do it because he couldn't work fast enough.

It sounds like he agreed to create the shiv and then was fired from it, so he didn't actually create the weapon, but he would have and could have.
So then you believe Jarvis should be free

I told you
Si told you
Del told you
Ropey told you

Thank you for your criticism and the reminder about my birthday aspirations. I continue to work on my aspirations. I do not go to the Flame Zone, I have stopped commenting on the topics of homosexuality or Christianity. I am taking care to not swallow anyone's bait and retaliate when attacked.

I apologize for misunderstanding your intent. I am working on making my speech less negative. I'm not perfect. I am working on it.

I have agreed to stop posting on this thread.

Sky, i am far from criticizing you. I am just stating how things are. The only way you will ever learn what you do, and how you present yourself to others, of which you appear to be oblivious, is to tell you.

Misunderstanding my intent...and then proclaiming that i want to murder everyone and that i have a blood lust...are very different things.

No one has told you to stop posting in the thread...so your "agreeing" to stop posting is rather childish sky. You have one opinion...others have theirs, I have mine. The point of a discussion is to share you point of view.

:clap2:
Arizona man who murdered 9 sentenced to death
Wednesday, Nov. 30, 2011

Goudeau had been serving a 438-year sentence in a 2005 sexual assault case tied to the Baseline Killer attacks, but only recently became eligible for the death penalty after his murder convictions.

Prosecutors had argued that Goudeau was a "ravenous wolf" driven by a hunger to rape women and kill those who didn't cooperate with his demands, and that the murders were especially cruel because the victims suffered unimaginable terror and anguish in the moments leading up to their deaths.

"He enjoyed the power and dominion he exercised over these victims," prosecutor Patricia Stevens told jurors. "He enjoyed the threats of force, the threats of death."

Stevens said that each of the eight female victims was forced to agonize over whether they would be raped or killed in the moments before they were shot, and that two of them were forced to watch Goudeau kill another person before he turned the gun on them, prolonging and intensifying their own terror.

The sole male victim was killed before prosecutors say Goudeau attacked his female co-worker.

Read more: Arizona man who murdered 9 sentenced to death | Latest National Headlines | News from Fo...

:clap2:
Arizona man who murdered 9 sentenced to death
Wednesday, Nov. 30, 2011

Goudeau had been serving a 438-year sentence in a 2005 sexual assault case tied to the Baseline Killer attacks, but only recently became eligible for the death penalty after his murder convictions.

Prosecutors had argued that Goudeau was a "ravenous wolf" driven by a hunger to rape women and kill those who didn't cooperate with his demands, and that the murders were especially cruel because the victims suffered unimaginable terror and anguish in the moments leading up to their deaths.

"He enjoyed the power and dominion he exercised over these victims," prosecutor Patricia Stevens told jurors. "He enjoyed the threats of force, the threats of death."

Stevens said that each of the eight female victims was forced to agonize over whether they would be raped or killed in the moments before they were shot, and that two of them were forced to watch Goudeau kill another person before he turned the gun on them, prolonging and intensifying their own terror.

The sole male victim was killed before prosecutors say Goudeau attacked his female co-worker.

Read more: Arizona man who murdered 9 sentenced to death | Latest National Headlines | News from Fo...

^^^^

That is a good example of an animal who needs to be put down and does not deserve to live one more moment after sentencing.

Forum List

Back