The Ethanol Subsidy

Wiseacre

Retired USAF Chief
Apr 8, 2011
San Antonio, TX
It expires at the end of this year and we save about 6 billion a year as a result. I call that a good start, why don't we look at every other subsidy, most of which go to big biz corps who are already sitting on trillions of dollars.

The truth is that ethanol was never an energy saver, it costs more to produce it than it saves in gasoline, and at a time when we need corn to feed ourselves and the rest of the world. It's been on the books for 30 years, and it's about time it got killed.

It expires at the end of this year and we save about 6 billion a year as a result. I call that a good start, why don't we look at every other subsidy, most of which go to big biz corps who are already sitting on trillions of dollars.

The truth is that ethanol was never an energy saver, it costs more to produce it than it saves in gasoline, and at a time when we need corn to feed ourselves and the rest of the world. It's been on the books for 30 years, and it's about time it got killed.

I have no problem investing $6 billion into ethanol. While it is not the greatest source of energy, it has potential. Plus, $6 billion is paltry in regards to federal spending.

However, I agree with you. It is time to end it. While ethanol has potential, it has severe drawbacks and most of the money goes to large businesses, which already receive plenty of million in corn subsidies.

agreed. I remember reading that in the wild wacky convoluted world of subsidies and contradictory regs there were tankers passing each other from Brazil to the US and from the US to Brazil, one carrying sugar ethanol the other celluistic ethanol. unreal. another non victory lap for the greenies and billions down the tubes.

agreed. I remember reading that in the wild wacky convoluted world of subsidies and contradictory regs there were tankers passing each other from Brazil to the US and from the US to Brazil, one carrying sugar ethanol the other celluistic ethanol. unreal. another non victory lap for the greenies and billions down the tubes.

Didn't our federal gov't invest taxpayer money in a Brazil oil company to drill in the gulf? Now how crazy is that?

I'm willing to go so far as to end all subsidies: corporate and personal.

Don't look for Barry Hussein to drop a green subsidy even if it is useless and keeps gas prices high. It's a symbol to the radicals and they ain't backing down no matter what the hardship on the middle class and the working (driving) poor.

I recall that in the early '80s, when this program was in its infancy, lab testing revealed that ethanol blends exceeded then existing EPA regs on emissions.

So what did the government do?

They re-wrote the regulations to accomodate ethanol.

From day one, this was a con job orchestrated by the agriculture industy.
They've milked it for all it's worth. The time to hang it up was long ago- like before it began.

Last edited:

Indeed. It's also an environmental nightmare. Increased corn production has led to a huge dead zone in the Gulf of Mexico due to agricultural runoff.

But the watermelons who think ethanol is going to save us never acknowledge it.

Rainfall, Fertilizers Cause Gulf Dead Zone Size To Increase | Global Animal

Didn't our federal gov't invest taxpayer money in a Brazil oil company to drill in the gulf? Now how crazy is that?

well sorta, they 'guaranteed' a loan...;)

The Ethanol Subsidy

I ain't effin hungry and if it causes big oil to squirm a bit, I am all for it.

Somebody from Brazil must've donated a lot of money to Obama's re-election campaign.

Forum List

Back