The establishment is scared

How is it that so many Republican candidates managed to qualify for the Virginia primaries in the past but now all of a sudden 4 candidates managed to miss the deadline and not qualify? This primary is a circus. Gingrich should be ashamed. Virginia is his home state fer chrissake.

I THINK the standards applied this time were more strict than in the past.

But even so, the standards were meetable, the candidates were responsible, they fell short, and then they complained after the fact. Bzzt.

Newt himself said it was his team's fault for not complying with the law.

Some of you somehow think that laws are not needed.

Morons.

How is it that so many Republican candidates managed to qualify for the Virginia primaries in the past but now all of a sudden 4 candidates managed to miss the deadline and not qualify? This primary is a circus. Gingrich should be ashamed. Virginia is his home state fer chrissake.

But even so, the standards were meetable, the candidates were responsible, they fell short, and then they complained after the fact. Bzzt.

uh no
uh...YES...Dipshit.

uh no
uh...YES...Dipshit.

I found this article which says the current rules have been in place since 1998:

"By the late 1990s, the one-time-only Super Tuesday rules were a mere memory. Virginia's requirement of signatures from 0.5 percent of registered voters remained on the books. By January 1998, that meant a candidate needed about 17,000 signatures to qualify.

That year, the General Assembly passed a bill introduced by Del. Vincent F. Callahan, R-Fairfax, that reduced the hurdle — to "only" 10,000 signatures. But the bill increased the geographical requirement from 200 to 400 signatures in each congressional district.

Those requirements have been in place ever since.

In 2000, five candidates made the ballot for Virginia's GOP presidential primary — Alan Keyes, Gary Bauer, Steve Forbes, Sen. John McCain of Arizona and Texas Gov. George W. Bush.

In 2008, six candidates qualified for Virginia's GOP presidential primary — McCain, Romney, Paul, Fred Thompson, Mike Huckabee and Rudy Giuliani."

How did Virginia's ballot access get so strict? | Richmond Times-Dispatch

I THINK the standards applied this time were more strict than in the past

uh no

Ballot Access News » Blog Archive » Virginia 2011 Independent Candidate for Legislature has Big Impact on 2012 Presidential Primary

As sfcalifornia noted, in 2000 through 2008, people only had to submit 10,000 signatures, with at least 400 from each house district, and they were on the ballot. The signatures weren't verified. But then last year an independent candidate noted that his signatures faced greater scrutiny than his Republican opponent's and he filed a lawsuit. The lawsuit is still pending but in the meantime, Republicans issued their new guidelines in October saying that people who submitted 15,000 signatures would be assumed to have enough but those who submitted less would be checked to make sure the signatures were legit.

If Michael Osborne hadn't filed his lawsuit, then the 1500 forged signatures for Gingrich probably wouldn't have been noticed.

Last edited:

Forum List

Back