The Eric Clapton Thing vs Actual Blues Vocalists and Arrangers

Snouter

Can You Smell Me
Aug 3, 2013
The great Bobby "Blue" Bland (band in some cases) and in this case session musicians from Los Angeles. This version is actually like when Zeppelin covered an American blues song nobody ever heard of. There is really no correlation but the lyrics...but anyhoo, this thing is epic. Notice additional stuff happening after each 12 bar cycle. IMO, there should have been an over the top guitar solo for the final cycle or two instead of the fade out.

This punk making tens of millions by doing really weak renditions of American blues. Same advice for John Mayer, John Bonnamossa or similar, who can't sing blues. If you can't sing hire a singer and try to learn how to play the stuff correctly or better yet arrange it creatively and improvise like actual blues players do!

Last edited:
Thanks for that.

Another poster introduced me to Duane's version of which, to me, is the most soulful version.

I think heroin fucked Clapton pretty good. He lost his spark after Cream broke up. Crossroads is his best

No doubt. Sunshine of Your Love, White Room, Tales of Brave Ulysses, I Feel Free, Crossroads, and more, standards in and of themselves, just awesome! Of course Jack Bruce came up with a lot of the stuff.

I am trying to come up with a Stormy Monday video that shows evolution from T-Bone Walker (pretty much a slow 12 bar blues with very little deviation to a typical I-IV-V) to Duane's. The missing link is Bobby Blue's 1962 version. The Allman Brothers do add a Major7 ("bright spot" as Ted Greene would say) to it.

The great Bobby "Blue" Bland (band in some cases) and in this case session musicians from Los Angeles. This version is actually like when Zeppelin covered an American blues song nobody ever heard of. There is really no correlation but the lyrics...but anyhoo, this thing is epic. Notice additional stuff happening after each 12 bar cycle. IMO, there should have been an over the top guitar solo for the final cycle or two instead of the fade out.

This punk making tens of millions by doing really weak renditions of American blues. Same advice for John Mayer, John Bonnamossa or similar, who can't sing blues. If you can't sing hire a singer and try to learn how to play the stuff correctly or better yet arrange it creatively and improvise like actual blues players do!

That is some stupid shit.
BTW it's JOE Bonamassa, not John.
epkdrz.jpeg

Sent from my SM-J727VPP using Tapatalk

Wow, so now EVERYONE on the internet knows Billyboom is retarded. :p Tanks so much Billyboom, you ridiculous idiot. :p

Thanks for that.

Another poster introduced me to Duane's version of which, to me, is the most soulful version.

I think heroin fucked Clapton pretty good. He lost his spark after Cream broke up. Crossroads is his best
you are right about Clapton Frank,but i think he did some of his best work on the Layla LP...then he seemed to lose that spark....

Layla released November 1970. Rumor is Duane Allman came up with the riff without which the song would be a painfully generic ballad.

Bring it on Home released October 1969. Trust your ears to do the math or I will note for note show the similarities of the signature "riffs." Yes, Zeppelin copied American blues, but the copies of Zeppelin are quite immense.

Notice @ 2:57 the neck is reverse zebra, the middle is chrome (covered) and the bridge is black. Currently doing a guitar build and considered 3 Lollar El Rayos (the best humbuckers ever invented), but when I double check, the way I play, the pick would hit the middle pickup. Still considering it though.

Last edited:

Forum List

Back