The Epidemic of the -dens

Do you know someone whose name ends with -den, -don, -ten, or -ton?

• Yes

Votes: 4 100.0%
  • No

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

SweetSue92

Diamond Member
Jul 18, 2018
USA
I'm talking about kids' names, mostly boys, that end in -den. Which probably makes up at least 30% of the boys I teach. The older -dens like:

Brandon
Brenden

And the newer ones like:

Jayden
Caden
Brayden
Aiden
Hayden
Landen
Zayden

If you then branch out to a close cousin like -ten or -ton you get:

Tristen
Payton
Layton

I think in a generation or two these are going to be VERY distinctive turn-of-the-century names for boys. Do you have any of these names in your family?

Wow...you need a hobby, or something to occupy your mind NOW.

When I was a kid John and James were common names. Two syllable names are the rule today for kids. A new born male in London is likely to be named be named Mohammed though.

Are you not aware of how many websites and forums are given over to baby names? Maybe you're not a parent
Is this your way of telling us that you're pregnant?

FYI

English[edit]
Etymology 1[edit]
From Middle English den, from Old English denn (“den, lair (of a beast), cave; a swine-pasture, a woodland pasture for swine”), from Proto-Germanic *danjō (“threshing-floor, barn-floor”), from Proto-Indo-European*dʰen- (“flat surface, board, sheet, area, palm of the hand”). Cognate with Scots den (“den, lair”), Middle Dutch denne (“burrow, den, cave, attic”), Dutch den (“ship's deck, threshing-floor, mountain floor”), Middle Low German denne, danne (“threshing-floor, small dale”), German Tenne (“threshing-floor, barn for threshing”).

When I was a kid John and James were common names. Two syllable names are the rule today for kids. A new born male in London is likely to be named be named Mohammed though.

I love traditional names. My own two have traditional names, my daughter so much so that when she serves a group of "older" women they exclaim "I haven't heard that name in years!" (she's home from college and working as a waitress this summer). Her name is not one of those newly hot names either, like Olivia or Hannah. Both lovely but so popular.

Jack is very popular again for boys and I must say I love that name.

Are you not aware of how many websites and forums are given over to baby names? Maybe you're not a parent
Is this your way of telling us that you're pregnant?

FYI

English[edit]
Etymology 1[edit]
From Middle English den, from Old English denn (“den, lair (of a beast), cave; a swine-pasture, a woodland pasture for swine”), from Proto-Germanic *danjō (“threshing-floor, barn-floor”), from Proto-Indo-European*dʰen- (“flat surface, board, sheet, area, palm of the hand”). Cognate with Scots den (“den, lair”), Middle Dutch denne (“burrow, den, cave, attic”), Dutch den (“ship's deck, threshing-floor, mountain floor”), Middle Low German denne, danne (“threshing-floor, small dale”), German Tenne (“threshing-floor, barn for threshing”).

Ohhhhh goodness nope nope nope. My kids are home from college for the summer, if that tells you anything! I just think name trends are interesting, that's all. And as a teacher I get a front-row seat to them...but four or five years down the line, when the kids come to school.

60 years on all the old folks are going to be Aiden, Caiden and Hayden. Poor dudes

What is this about? Shit. My first boyfriend, back in the 1960s, was named Brandon. Names derive from the languages all over the planet. What is your problem? In the British Isles alone: Liam, Aiden, Colin, Dermot (I personally knew a Dermot). I do not have much knowledge of first names that derive from other cultures, although I have a doctor who is Ugandan by birth and whose first name is the name of a saint in Christian culture.

We are also experiencing a time in which people are naming their babies for cheeses, fruits, vegetables, and geographical coordinates.

What is your point, anyway?

New Topics

Forum List

Back