The Entitlement Mentality

Navy1960

Sep 4, 2008
Arizona
FROM WELFARE TO food stamps to Medicare, Medicaid and Social Security, our country now marshals a massive network of trillion-dollar entitlement programs colloquially known as the "social safety net." Many Americans, including a few of those running for president, see these bureaucracies as defining achievements of a nation where "nobody is left behind."
Forget the fact that the entitlements, many of which began with the goal of providing "basic minimum benefits" have grown into a gargantuan burden costing over $1.5 trillion a year and careening toward total collapse. For example, payouts will begin to exceed the revenues into Social Security in just nine years and current estimates have the entire system going belly up in 2041.
Entitlement Mentality Is Wrecking Economy at SmartMoney.com

JEAN Twenge has a knack for chronicling the obsession that many Americans have with, well, themselves.

In 2006, the psychology professor at San Diego State University wrote a highly informed book on what she called "Generation Me" — Americans in their teens, 20s and 30s who display very healthy levels of self-esteem even if they haven't accomplished much to earn it.
Hung up on themselves: Entitlement mentality and the current economic crisis Morning Journal: Serving Lorain, Erie, Huron and western Cuyahoga counties

I put this here to stimulate debate on a question that perhaps at least in my mind is a problem today with a large segment of the population. Everything from willingly saying ho hum to the Govt. take over of American Indutries, to banking, and now beating the drum to hand over your freedom to make your own healthcare decisions, is this all part of this entitlement mentality?

• Thanks
Reactions: Vel
I just read an article about "funemployment". Slackers in their 20's and 30's that have been laid off from their jobs and having a blast on unemployment. Of course many of them still live at home with their parents. They are loving the recession and feel they are on a paid vacation with no guilt whatsoever because "it's tough out there". My fear is they will start breeding and then we will have to take care of the next generation of spoiled brats.

The self esteem movement has dumbed down our schools and created a myspace generation of narcissists. Scary what this future holds.

I just read an article about "funemployment". Slackers in their 20's and 30's that have been laid off from their jobs and having a blast on unemployment. Of course many of them still live at home with their parents. They are loving the recession and feel they are on a paid vacation with no guilt whatsoever because "it's tough out there". My fear is they will start breeding and then we will have to take care of the next generation of spoiled brats.

The self esteem movement has dumbed down our schools and created a myspace generation of narcissists. Scary what this future holds.

I do agree there is a problem on the rise. Not so much with entitlements, but with the "everybody else" attitude. More and more people are taking part in these programs because "everybody else" does. Families scramble to hide assets, cash and property so that grandpa or dad can get on another program. Why not? "Everybody else" does. With the baby boomers retiring, SS could be in trouble. They were the largest generation. Also the most prosperous. There will untold numbers taking assistance they don't need. They'll take it because "everybody else" does. The kids will put the expensive cars in their name and the property will be transfered and the bank account liquidated in preparation to take what they don't need. But hey, "everybody else" gets it.

Been there, seen it first hand in my own good for nothing conservative family. "Everybody else" is a piece of shit for taking assitance. But when their turn came around, one by one, they said "everybody else" does it.

FROM WELFARE TO food stamps to Medicare, Medicaid and Social Security, our country now marshals a massive network of trillion-dollar entitlement programs colloquially known as the "social safety net." Many Americans, including a few of those running for president, see these bureaucracies as defining achievements of a nation where "nobody is left behind."
Forget the fact that the entitlements, many of which began with the goal of providing "basic minimum benefits" have grown into a gargantuan burden costing over $1.5 trillion a year and careening toward total collapse. For example, payouts will begin to exceed the revenues into Social Security in just nine years and current estimates have the entire system going belly up in 2041.

JEAN Twenge has a knack for chronicling the obsession that many Americans have with, well, themselves.

In 2006, the psychology professor at San Diego State University wrote a highly informed book on what she called "Generation Me" — Americans in their teens, 20s and 30s who display very healthy levels of self-esteem even if they haven't accomplished much to earn it.
Hung up on themselves: Entitlement mentality and the current economic crisis Morning Journal: Serving Lorain, Erie, Huron and western Cuyahoga counties

I put this here to stimulate debate on a question that perhaps at least in my mind is a problem today with a large segment of the population. Everything from willingly saying ho hum to the Govt. take over of American Indutries, to banking, and now beating the drum to hand over your freedom to make your own healthcare decisions, is this all part of this entitlement mentality?

Welfare, Foodstamps and Medicaid need to be classed differently from Medicare and Social Security. While it is true that the latter two are entitlements, the reason people have benefits from the program that they are entitled to is because they paid for them via a separate tax. And the more you pay in, the larger your benefit when you file a claim.

Since Social Security actually helps the people who pay for it proportionately to their contribution, and it is administered at a cost of less than 1%, it is one government program that works. In the humble opinion of this Average Joe.

-Joe

Welfare, Foodstamps and Medicaid need to be classed differently from Medicare and Social Security. While it is true that the latter two are entitlements, the reason people have benefits from the program that they are entitled to is because they paid for them via a separate tax. And the more you pay in, the larger your benefit when you file a claim.

Since Social Security actually helps the people who pay for it proportionately to their contribution, and it is administered at a cost of less than 1%, it is one government program that works. In the humble opinion of this Average Joe.

-Joe

And this is exactly the attitude that will break the programs. EVERYONE pays for all of it. But only those that NEED it should collect. It shouldn't even be a forced issue. If you don't need it, don't take it. But of course, the same people who bitch and whine and complain about the government will take every dime they can get. Because "everybody else" does. Plain ol' spite.

I do agree there is a problem on the rise. Not so much with entitlements, but with the "everybody else" attitude. More and more people are taking part in these programs because "everybody else" does. Families scramble to hide assets, cash and property so that grandpa or dad can get on another program. Why not? "Everybody else" does. With the baby boomers retiring, SS could be in trouble. They were the largest generation. Also the most prosperous. There will untold numbers taking assistance they don't need. They'll take it because "everybody else" does. The kids will put the expensive cars in their name and the property will be transfered and the bank account liquidated in preparation to take what they don't need. But hey, "everybody else" gets it.

Been there, seen it first hand in my own good for nothing conservative family. "Everybody else" is a piece of shit for taking assitance. But when their turn came around, one by one, they said "everybody else" does it.

If you are talking about Social Security benefits for grandpa, the family need not hide anything - if grandpa paid into the system, he gets a benefit based solely on his contributions and nothing else... even if he was a thrifty dude who wisely sold his Microsoft stock in December 1999 for a cool million.

-Joe

Since we're all getting 'honest' about families and all, thought I'd through this out. My daughter, well she snagged a pt gig for voice lessons, on top of her full time gig with IT. Instead of $43k, she'll be at $53k. Not bad for a Dec '08 grad. Her fiance is in his 4th month as graphic designer, over $70k, but the daughters is 'upset' he didn't finish his degree.

My middle child, oldest son is holding his 3.8 gpa towards BS in accounting. He is freaking that he can't pick up more pt work, as he feels he's drowning in debt.

The youngest, just graduated with honors. Cannot find a job in IL, now searching US wide. He's giving it 3 months, then enlisting in Air Force. He opted out of a tentative deal with Marines, but is not closing that door either. He's waiting to see if there's something else. If not, seems he's hoping to play AF vs. Marines, I keep telling him, "Who do you think will win?"

-Joe

And this is exactly the attitude that will break the programs. EVERYONE pays for all of it. But only those that NEED it should collect. It shouldn't even be a forced issue. If you don't need it, don't take it. But of course, the same people who bitch and whine and complain about the government will take every dime they can get. Because "everybody else" does. Plain ol' spite.

Dude, if you won the lottery and your wife died, would you refuse to cash in her life insurance?

Social Security is an insurance policy. Nobody gets a dime unless they pay into the system and everybody who pays in can and should file for benefits.

-Joe

Since we're all getting 'honest' about families and all, thought I'd through this out. My daughter, well she snagged a pt gig for voice lessons, on top of her full time gig with IT. Instead of $43k, she'll be at $53k. Not bad for a Dec '08 grad. Her fiance is in his 4th month as graphic designer, over $70k, but the daughters is 'upset' he didn't finish his degree.

My middle child, oldest son is holding his 3.8 gpa towards BS in accounting. He is freaking that he can't pick up more pt work, as he feels he's drowning in debt.

The youngest, just graduated with honors. Cannot find a job in IL, now searching US wide. He's giving it 3 months, then enlisting in Air Force. He opted out of a tentative deal with Marines, but is not closing that door either. He's waiting to see if there's something else. If not, seems he's hoping to play AF vs. Marines, I keep telling him, "Who do you think will win?"

Sounds to me like you and your kids have a lot to be thankful for.

-Joe

-Joe

Dude, if you won the lottery and your wife died, would you refuse to cash in her life insurance?

Social Security is an insurance policy. Nobody gets a dime unless they pay into the system and everybody who pays in can and should file for benefits.

-Joe

No. Why would an extremely wealthy person have life insurance anyway? That is part of the problem. We have adopted an astounding starting point for some of these conversations. A person with no financial worries (I assume this is what you mean by the lottery) has no business buying life insurance. What? They can't afford the funeral? Or is it just that it's the thing to do, gamble on the chance of your loved ones death, just becasue you have plenty and would take more.

Fucking unbelievable what we have come to. I can't even begin to have a conversation with you. I'd have to try and strip down what ever layers of BS are obviously already in your mind.

IF I did, for some fucked up reason, have multi millions, a big life insurance policy and my wife died, NO. If I did not need it, I could never live with the fact that I measured my wifes life in dollars.

Our sense of priorities.....shit, life itself, is fucked.

-Joe

No. Why would an extremely wealthy person have life insurance anyway? That is part of the problem. We have adopted an astounding starting point for some of these conversations. A person with no financial worries (I assume this is what you mean by the lottery) has no business buying life insurance. What? They can't afford the funeral? Or is it just that it's the thing to do, gamble on the chance of your loved ones death, just becasue you have plenty and would take more.

Fucking unbelievable what we have come to. I can't even begin to have a conversation with you. I'd have to try and strip down what ever layers of BS are obviously already in your mind.

IF I did, for some fucked up reason, have multi millions, a big life insurance policy and my wife died, NO. If I did not need it, I could never live with the fact that I measured my wifes life in dollars.

Willy, while I appreciate your sense of self-reliance and... well... decency, the point of my thesis is that Social Security is not welfare and people should not shame people for taking it. The benefits are theirs because they paid for them.

Regarding the life insurance question, "why should a rich man insure the life of his wife?", the answer is simple: because he can. And why not? As long as he is not asking me to pay for the premiums... shouldn't he be free to buy what ever the hell he wants to, needed or not?

Should we force a rich man to buy a Hyundai instead of a Jaguar because a Hyundai will do the same job for a more practical price?

-Joe

Last edited:

-Joe

Willy, while I appreciate your sense of self-reliance and... well... decency, the point of my thesis is that Social Security is not welfare and people should not shame people for taking it. The benefits are theirs because they paid for them.

Regarding the life insurance question, "why should a rich man insure the life of his wife?", the answer is simple: because he can. And why not? As long as he is not asking me to pay for the premiums... shouldn't he be free to buy what ever the hell he wants to, needed or not?

Should we force a rich man to buy a Hyundai instead of a Jaguar because a Hyundai will do the same job for a more practical price?

-Joe

You are right that we shouldn't force anything. You're also right when you mention "decency". When you have "plenty" but still take "more", you have a fundamental misunderstanding of the word or concept of "plenty".

If, when you are in a position of security, you take more than you need or ever will, it's just that, taking. Some kind of mental game that has evolved in our nation of plenty. Once you have all you need, take all you can get to boot.

It's a whole lot easier to understand why a person in need will take. A person who does n ot need but still takes, has missed a rung on the evolutionary ladder.

Go back and view the town hall debate between Mr McCain and Mr Obama.
Virtually every domestic issue question that was asked was geared upon the lines of "what is the government going to do to take care of me?"
And while you do that, just remember that the media decided what questions were allowed to be asked.

Forum List

Back