The enemy of my friend is my enemy

Grace

Rookie
Jan 29, 2011
Just curious....so here is the question:
You hang out somewhere..real life, net, whatever. Are you friendly with someone or chat with them even though you know most of your friends or acquaintances hate/dislike that person? Or do you go with the flow of what your friends/acquaintances do/say/feel?

I like who i like.... and i make my own flow. If they are my friends and know me....they will also know that.

• Banned
I had a roomie awhile back. Have known her for years. Her mom was my best friend. Anyway....she is very much a smotherer to her own son who is 21. She told me once that she has to ask him who they are ignoring/snubbing because she forgets who he is friendly with and who he is currently at war with.

I've met people like that online. Groups of people who are in a clique....and if you don't toe the general line and snub/kowtow, you are then snubbed and kicked to the curb.

I've been kicked to the curb often.:eusa_whistle:

I have had online friendships with people who were very much disliked by other of my online friends. *shrug* I'm a political half-breed who frequents political forums, which means that half of my friends are liberal, half are conservative, and they will all disagree with me 50% of the time!

If I like someone, I like them. I will defend them. I will not join flamefests against them. I will not certainly not listen to rude gossip about them. My friends know this about me. They know I don't expect them to like everyone I like, but they also know that if they are looking to do battle with that person, I'll be in the bleachers, not on the field.

Real life or on line I am on the same page with Syrenn. When I was a kid in school I allowed others to decide who it was acceptable to date, to invite to parties, to ask to sit with you at the movies or ballgames or whatever. And one day, because on being on the receiving end of some of that, I learned how cruel that could be. After that I allowed nobody to dictate to me who I could or could not fraternize with. And I acquired a whole new, and much more high quality, circle of friends.

Nobody has dare tried to dictate such to me in real life for a very long time now. There have been one or two who attempted to dictate who I should or should not be friends with on line--including here on USMB--and I didn't accept that either. And whether I am their friend or eney is the choice of those I meet in real life or here on line.

It does make it a bit easier if your friends and enemies share your tastes in friends and enemies though. :)

Forum List

Back