The End Times

Adam's Apple

Apr 25, 2004
A month or so ago there was discussion on this board regarding knowing the signs of the “end times.” I just finished reading a book by Tim LaHaye entitled The Merciful God of Prophecy: His Loving Plan for You in the End Times, which I would recommend to those of you who are interested in this topic. Dr. LaHaye has written the book in a personal style so that you feel he is having a conversation with you. He throws a lot of light on God and Jesus Christ as beings of love and mercy and explains why prophecies about the end times matter. If you have read any of the Left Behind books, you will already be familiar with Dr. LaHaye as a fiction writer. I also have read Dr. LaHaye’s book Are We Living in the End Times? and found it to be a very interesting and thoughtful work.

You know I might give some credence to the "end times" if it hadn't already been predicted dozens of other times, and come to pass...

alien21010 said:
You know I might give some credence to the "end times" if it hadn't already been predicted dozens of other times, and come to pass...

Choosing not to give it any creedence is absolutely your privilege. However, may I point out that when the long-dormant Mt. St. Helen's began exhibiting signs that vulcanologists found alarming in 1980, many folks decided not to leave, citing your argument exactly.

I heard that one of their heads finally fell back to earth, a week or so ago. A nasty business, it was.

It has been my experience that those most keenly interested in the end of the world are old codgers who are in poor health. These folks are confronting their own mortality and their own personal end time. So they start to personalize biblical references and interpret current events to fit the phrophecy. I guess it's sort of a misery loves company syndrome.

As for me, I don't sweat it. That's not arrogance, that's relying on biblical text which says that Jesus stated that we cannot "earn" our way into heaven, but will be given entry by the grace of God and the sacrifice made on our behalf by Jesus.

So I'll do the best I can each day, knowing that it's not good enough, but confident in the knowledge that God does not expect us to be perfect, he just expects us to do what we can. So if the world ends, it ends. I'm not going to lose any sleep over it since there's nothing I can do about it anyway.

Here's how the story goes....

The world will end....someday.

End of story.

PS Cosmic dust blows for a long time.

Forum List

Back