The End of Wall Street's Boom

midcan5

liberal / progressive
Jun 4, 2007
America
'The End' by Michael Lewis December 2008 Issue

"The era that defined Wall Street is finally, officially over. Michael Lewis, who chronicled its excess in Liar’s Poker, returns to his old haunt to figure out what went wrong."

"To this day, the willingness of a Wall Street investment bank to pay me hundreds of thousands of dollars to dispense investment advice to grownups remains a mystery to me. I was 24 years old, with no experience of, or particular interest in, guessing which stocks and bonds would rise and which would fall. The essential function of Wall Street is to allocate capital—to decide who should get it and who should not. Believe me when I tell you that I hadn’t the first clue...."

"I thought I was writing a period piece about the 1980s in America. Not for a moment did I suspect that the financial 1980s would last two full decades longer or that the difference in degree between Wall Street and ordinary life would swell into a difference in kind. I expected readers of the future to be outraged that back in 1986, the C.E.O. of Salomon Brothers, John Gutfreund, was paid $3.1 million; I expected them to gape in horror when I reported that one of our traders, Howie Rubin, had moved to Merrill Lynch, where he lost $250 million; I assumed they’d be shocked to learn that a Wall Street C.E.O. had only the vaguest idea of the risks his traders were running. What I didn’t expect was that any future reader would look on my experience and say, “How quaint.”"

The End of Wall Street's Boom - National Business News - Portfolio.com

Wall street was a' go go because credit was a' cheapcheap.

The party's over.

Uh, credit is pretty damn cheap again in case anyone hasn't noticed. Cheaper than EVER, actually. Banks are almost literally lending to each other for free.

I suspect it won't be long before they're PAYING us to borrow.

There will be easy money again, and it won't be pretty for consumers. Wall Street will boom again. There's eventually going to be a lot of new money again that will need to find a home.

You obviously haven't thought outside the box much, midcan.

Uh, credit is pretty damn cheap again in case anyone hasn't noticed. Cheaper than EVER, actually. Banks are almost literally lending to each other for free.

Yeah, all you have to do is not need it.

People are buying ZERO return T-bills rather than reinvest in the market.

Sounds like people aren't exactly reading to plunge headlong into that market just yet.

There will be easy money again, and it won't be pretty for consumers. Wall Street will boom again. There's eventually going to be a lot of new money again that will need to find a home.

From your pen to Mammon's ear, Paul.

I can't help but note that the supply siders in power aren't having any trouble thinking outside their Austrian School of Econ box they'd formerly inhabited.

Interesting times.

There will be easy money again, and it won't be pretty for consumers.

was stunning to see the 30 yr treasury get down to a yield of 2.65% today

the Fed is feeding the system Lewis thinks is dead, won't be subprime mortgages in the 2010s boom, but rather tech stocks or some asset class that didn't all that well in the 2000s boom, but Wall St will still play the same games it has for years

Did anyone read the piece? It is excellent and demonstrates just how stupidity and greed got us into this current mess. Read it Paulitics before making totally irrelevant comments.

This past year we took some money and allowed two big name investment firms see what they could do with it. Now i realize it was a odd and very bad year for equities but I assumed (wrongly) that they would have enough insight and knowledge to get out before the crash or move into safe areas. Neither happened and while one did better than the other they both lost. Read the piece and you'll get an idea why.

and another

The Seven Deadly Deficits | CommonDreams.org

Did anyone read the piece? It is excellent and demonstrates just how stupidity and greed got us into this current mess. Read it Paulitics before making totally irrelevant comments.

This past year we took some money and allowed two big name investment firms see what they could do with it. Now i realize it was a odd and very bad year for equities but I assumed (wrongly) that they would have enough insight and knowledge to get out before the crash or move into safe areas. Neither happened and while one did better than the other they both lost. Read the piece and you'll get an idea why.

and another

The Seven Deadly Deficits | CommonDreams.org

Irrelevant? How so? I addressed why we are not witnessing the end of Wall St. booms.

But a good question is, why would you put your trust in some firm to manage your money? You ought to research your desired positions yourself and make up your own mind. Just because it's a financial services firm doesn't mean they know what the hell they're even doing, as evidenced by their results.

Yeah, all you have to do is not need it.

People are buying ZERO return T-bills rather than reinvest in the market.

Sounds like people aren't exactly reading to plunge headlong into that market just yet.

Warren Buffet and myself are two people plunging right now....

Last time I had this high a percentage of my investment dollar going into stocks was 1991.....

Cheap, indeed. Just bought another nice $150,000 home in foreclosure for $70,000 and got a 100% financed note on it for 5.25%!!! Cheap, and EASY. And rented it yesterday for $750/mo.....

I'm really starting to LIKE this recession.....

Banks having money isn't the same as stock market speculators doing stupid things with margins/shorts/credit swaps/bad debt. And for myself life is too short to be so worried over money that you watch it like scrooge mcduck. And zoomie's pleasure on the middle class and poor losing their homes is a sad comment on humanity.

Banks having money isn't the same as stock market speculators doing stupid things with margins/shorts/credit swaps/bad debt. And for myself life is too short to be so worried over money that you watch it like scrooge mcduck. And zoomie's pleasure on the middle class and poor losing their homes is a sad comment on humanity.

Most of the prominent stock market speculators ARE the large banks.

But I agree with you about money, though. Greed is pointless.

Survival of the fittest, baby. It's the fundamental axiom of nature, the law of God.

Warren Buffet and myself are two people plunging right now....

Last time I had this high a percentage of my investment dollar going into stocks was 1991.....

I sincerely hope that you contrarian position makes you a fortune, Zoom.

I do this not only because I like to know rich people, but because if you do well the market is in recovery.

I don't think you're right, but my grasp of what makes Wall Street tick is anything but secure, so I am in no way offering you advice.

Survival of the fittest, baby. It's the fundamental axiom of nature, the law of God.

God? You'll have to find the source of that law for me. Ken Lay fittest? Cheney fittest? that's some odd fitness or do you mean GREED of the fittest.

God? You'll have to find the source of that law for me. Ken Lay fittest? Cheney fittest? that's some odd fitness or do you mean GREED of the fittest.

There no sense debating with a social darwinist, MC.

Their minds are made up until the invisible hand of the market gives them a smack that might (just might) alert them to the fact that pluck AND luck play a part in how life works out.

Right now, most social darwinists have to believe that their good fortune is entirely in their hands, that they alone are responsible for it, and that the nature order (i.e. GOD) has made them members of the ELECT.

You might try to point out to them that survival of the most cooperative makes more sense given that we are social creatures, but that doesn't jibe with their happy conceit just yet.

Be patient. They're happy with their delusions.

No sense raining on their parade.

Fate makes wiser men of us all, sooner or later.

When you boil it all down, nearly all brokers are mere salesmen.

When I was securities licensed, I was courted by both American Express and Smith Barney. I went through the interview process at both companies and decided to get out of financial services altogether. I didn't want to be a salesman with monthly quotas and lengthy scripts to memorize.

You can learn as much as most brokers do by reading a few books.

And Midcan, it isn't being miserly to be knowledgeable about money. Especially when it's your money

Christine Romans, CNN Business Correspondent, on CNN Newsroom, commenting on bonuses paid to banker executives, and referring to Credit Suisse, a Swiss Bank: "It had a very interesting way that they're paying some of their big investment bankers. They're paying them with the troubled assets that got them into trouble in the first place. Essentially, the idea being, if it's good enough to sell to our customers, it should be good enough for your bonus. ...And there are people who are not very happy about that."

I sincerely hope that you contrarian position makes you a fortune, Zoom.

I do this not only because I like to know rich people, but because if you do well the market is in recovery.

I don't think you're right, but my grasp of what makes Wall Street tick is anything but secure, so I am in no way offering you advice.

I basically follow Warren Buffet. When Berkshire does it, I mostly copy it....

Forum List

Back