The end of the record store

Audiophiles will probably keep CDs and vinyl around forever.
That stuff will end up in museums sooner or later.

Sad. I used to love going to Tower Records on Broadway in the Village. Would walk out of there with tons of music.

I think the last CD's I bought were Green Day's 21st Century Breakdown (Amazing CD, btw... give it a listen!), GasLight Anthem's CD with That 69 Sound; and Springsteen's Working On A Dream.

I think I got them at Best Buy. :redface:

Last CD I bought was Life Magazine Collection's "Big Bands: Music from the War Years". Awesome stuff.

I got a free CD, at the Coldplay concert last year. Other than that I think I bought a CD two years ago, I had a car with CD player. Now I have a car where I can just easily plug my IPod into the radio.

Audiophiles will probably keep CDs and vinyl around forever.
That stuff will end up in museums sooner or later.

Sad. I used to love going to Tower Records on Broadway in the Village. Would walk out of there with tons of music.

I think the last CD's I bought were Green Day's 21st Century Breakdown (Amazing CD, btw... give it a listen!), GasLight Anthem's CD with That 69 Sound; and Springsteen's Working On A Dream.

I think I got them at Best Buy. :redface:
I used to hit that same Tower Records as well as J & R Music. Both had a whole floor of Jazz music that most of my local music stores never stocked.
Small world. :)

I was looking at products today that are predicted to disapear, and the one that caught my eye first was the CD.

Can any of you remmeber the last time you actually went to a record store and bought a CD?

I believe the last time I did so was in the 1990s.

Because of the ease of which the net brings music, many of the old music chains are going chapter 11. Tower records is gone and virgin megastore is also nearly gone.

In some ways its a shame, one of my best kid memories was going to the TSS record store and playing 45s while searching for new music.

Sometimes technology can be a downer.

I just bought a cd last week at Good Will. $1.97. :D I go to F.Y.E. all the time and browse their used cds too. I've gotten some great cds for $5 or so.

I do buy songs from iTunes, etc. It has an advantage when you only like a few songs by a particular group. But I like having the cd too. I've often found that some of the best songs aren't necessarily the 'hits' that a group puts out but rather the lesser known/played stuff on the cd. I also like having the actual 'physical' cd, holding it in my hands. Weird? Nah, just old school.
iTunes also has the disadvantage of a very limited selection, at least as far as the music I seek out.
For example, they have only 2 songs by Neil Larsen, so if you want his album High Gear you can only get the LP or CD. With the exception of one track, it's a great album to get in a car, crank up the volume, kick into gear and just cruse.
[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hm_pZdF3j9Q&feature=related"]YouTube - neil larsen high gear 1979[/ame]

All media is going to digital. It is only a matter of time.

Any business model or any medium that does not follow a path of convergence towards more digital convenience is doomed. The Internet is the greatest disintermediator for at least a century, if not longer.

I was looking at products today that are predicted to disapear, and the one that caught my eye first was the CD.

Can any of you remmeber the last time you actually went to a record store and bought a CD?

I believe the last time I did so was in the 1990s.

Because of the ease of which the net brings music, many of the old music chains are going chapter 11. Tower records is gone and virgin megastore is also nearly gone.

In some ways its a shame, one of my best kid memories was going to the TSS record store and playing 45s while searching for new music.

Sometimes technology can be a downer.

The whole world that once serviced and made its living with intellectual property is flummoxed by the changes that technology has wrought.

Read somewhere that nearly 25% of the WEST's assets depend on intellectual property laws.

Sounds like an overstatement until you consider that every patented invention, every copyrighted program, every book, record, and film is really nothing more than intellecual property.

When techology makes protecting those property rights nearly impossible, then the value of that property becomes somewhat dubious.

Forum List

Back