The end of the record store

Xenophon

Gone and forgotten
Nov 27, 2008
In your head
I was looking at products today that are predicted to disapear, and the one that caught my eye first was the CD.

Can any of you remmeber the last time you actually went to a record store and bought a CD?

I believe the last time I did so was in the 1990s.

Because of the ease of which the net brings music, many of the old music chains are going chapter 11. Tower records is gone and virgin megastore is also nearly gone.

In some ways its a shame, one of my best kid memories was going to the TSS record store and playing 45s while searching for new music.

Sometimes technology can be a downer.

I was looking at products today that are predicted to disapear, and the one that caught my eye first was the CD.

Can any of you remmeber the last time you actually went to a record store and bought a CD?

Because of the ease of which the net brings music, many of the old music chains are going chapter 11. Tower records is gone and virgin megastore is also nearly gone.

In some ways its a shame, one of my best kid memories was going to the TSS record store and playing 45s while searching for new music.

I'm still an avid buyer of music in the record store(s). I find downloading music bland & boring. I still enjoy the aesthetics of an album too, for it gives more depth to the record. Maybe it's due to music being such a huge passion of mine, but I still enjoy supporting the artist, buying the c.d., opening it up, reading the liner notes, collecting & I love the process of buying too! Skimming through all of the c.d.'s, narrowing your choices down, etc. I find it sad this process has almost been eliminated. So long as record stores are still standing & c.d.'s are being made/sold, I'll still be there, in line, giving them my due.

Thank you.

Last edited:
I felt the same way about collecting LPs, but I forgot about it after I got my first CD player - which I won from a radio station on a be-the-9th-caller-and-name-the-last-6-songs deal.

Last CD I bought? The last I remember is the soundtrack to Broken Flowers. Then I started downloading. I like the click to play ease and paying only for songs Iknow I like, tho I probably miss the deep tracks that would appeal to me if I heard them.

It's been years. I have a vast MP3 library.

I usually move to the latest technology. I used to have lots of vinyl records, then converted them all to CDs and sold the vinyl. Then I had a bunch of CDs, converted them to MP3s and sold the CDs. Now I've got one hard drive with tens of thousands of MP3s.

I'll still buy them because my experience with music over the interwebs one of a lot of seriously overcompressed files.

You are right about that. Last CD I purchased in a store was about 2 years ago. But Xeno is right, the store is now closed and was a fixture in my city for 40 plus years, and is no more. That is kind of sad

It's been years. I have a vast MP3 library.

I usually move to the latest technology. I used to have lots of vinyl records, then converted them all to CDs and sold the vinyl. Then I had a bunch of CDs, converted them to MP3s and sold the CDs. Now I've got one hard drive with tens of thousands of MP3s.

Sounds like me.

But I cheated :lol::lol:

My friends/family still think I'm crazy that I continue to purchase C.D.'s. As of late, I'm also finding LP's are a lot easier to come by via record stores now & this makes me very happy.

Ummm Two weeks ago? But does Half Price Books count?

Pay full price for a CD? Never.

I still buy CDs because the sound quality of downloads is disappointing to me, I prefer to make my own MP3s. I download music to listen to until I can find the CD, but music stores are closing so I use online sites like Gemm.com.

I grew up a metal head before metal was really known. I remember traveling 90 miles to record store that carried domestic underground and Euro metal. Fond memories. All gone now. Best Buy carries anything you want. If they don't have it they will get it for you or just down load.

I agree.

The record store I used to go to as a kid had half vinyls and was half head shop. I visited there last summer after 20 years, and they now sell musical instruments and rock memorabilia.

Maybe now that they've approved medical marijuana in NJ, they can go back to stocking bongs. Gotta change with the times.

I still take my daughter to our local record store, there are two that we frequent. We LOVE just hanging out in them, listening to music, scanning through the CD's and albums, seeing what's new, and revisiting what's old.

I just bought a few CD's over Christmas Vacation. I play my CD's all the time in my car, at school before the day starts, or at home. I still have all my albums, I just need to get a new needle for my turn table.

I don't own an Ipod but my daughter does, she's downloaded a ton of music from my CD's and ones we rent from the library on there, so she's more "hip and modern" than me I guess.

LONG LIVE THE RECORD STORE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I still take my daughter to our local record store, there are two that we frequent. We LOVE just hanging out in them, listening to music, scanning through the CD's and albums, seeing what's new, and revisiting what's old.

I just bought a few CD's over Christmas Vacation. I play my CD's all the time in my car, at school before the day starts, or at home. I still have all my albums, I just need to get a new needle for my turn table.

I don't own an Ipod but my daughter does, she's downloaded a ton of music from my CD's and ones we rent from the library on there, so she's more "hip and modern" than me I guess.

LONG LIVE THE RECORD STORE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I do like browsing occasionally through Barnes & Noble, compiling a list of CDs I'd never buy there at their prices... and getting them new or used online for half the price.

I'm such a cheap bassid.

I just bought a cd last week at Good Will. $1.97. :D I go to F.Y.E. all the time and browse their used cds too. I've gotten some great cds for $5 or so.

I do buy songs from iTunes, etc. It has an advantage when you only like a few songs by a particular group. But I like having the cd too. I've often found that some of the best songs aren't necessarily the 'hits' that a group puts out but rather the lesser known/played stuff on the cd. I also like having the actual 'physical' cd, holding it in my hands. Weird? Nah, just old school.

Last edited:
There's a lot of posters here who seem to be afraid to admit they downloaded songs via file sharing.

Forum List

Back